OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Fire Sale Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Perfect news. Wait til the deadline and see if he caves.

I don't blame NH for asking, but if Lux isn't available I wouldn't pass up a package of May and Ruiz.

May and Ruiz would arguably be our top 2 prospects depending how you feel about Keller.

They also fill big needs in the organization at catcher and a starting pitcher.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I understand why people have reservations about NH given his history, but he really does have all the leverage in this situation. If Friedman won't put together the most competitive package, he can threaten to trade him to Atlanta, which would be a pretty harrowing prospect given where Atlanta is heading, especially if they finally spend some real money this winter.

The Cole trade was muddled because his value was trending below his stuff. Vazquez, given his contract, is the premier reliever in baseball right now, and there really is not a lot that separates him from anybody in terms of this season performance. It's literally the same situation as when Chapman was traded except he has 4 more years of control.

Which is precisely why Lux SHOULD be the get. If Chapman, who was a rental fetched a top 10 prospect in all of baseball why is Vasquez not?

His value, given the years of control, being a lefty, and being arguably the most dominant reliever in the entire league means the return, SHOULD be massive or in layman's terms...more than what Chapman returned which was a top 10 prospect (might have been top 5) in the game, at the time.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I agree that the third piece, if not's not Lux to start the package, has to make it hurt for LA. I would want Stripling and an additional piece I think.

Here's another wild idea: what if you used Kela as part of the package to absolutely bowl the Dodgers over? It wouldn't really be great asset management, but if it secured you both Lux and May, why not? Kela's behavior makes him potentially an issue, on top of the injury risk. From Friedman's POV, your upper echelon prospect depth takes a sledgehammer, but you assemble a bullpen of death for the next two playoffs, and have Vazquez for two more years after. I think they'd be ok.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I agree that the third piece, if not's not Lux to start the package, has to make it hurt for LA. I would want Stripling and an additional piece I think.

Here's another wild idea: what if you used Kela as part of the package to absolutely bowl the Dodgers over? It wouldn't really be great asset management, but if it secured you both Lux and May, why not? Kela's behavior makes him potentially an issue, on top of the injury risk. From Friedman's POV, your upper echelon prospect depth takes a sledgehammer, but you assemble a bullpen of death for the next two playoffs, and have Vazquez for two more years after. I think they'd be ok.

We shouldn't need to add Kela to get Lux.

And frankly, i highly, highly doubt the Dodgers are the only ones with serious interest in FV. The Astros and Braves are both appealing as well given their prospect pools. The Nats are in a dog fight for a WC spot and have a terrible pen....i just don't think they have the ammo.

I can't wait until we get swept by Cincy and Hurdle still has a job.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

If they're trying to win now I dont see why they wouldn't make that deal. Yeah they lose those 2 top prospects but have plenty more who could take their place. And keep getting top International prospects...draft well.

If they dont go for it all now...theyll be in same spot going forward with Lux/May. And their staff wont all be this good at once like we are seeing now. We made that mistake in 2015. Had the best rotation...and thought with Taillon/Glasnow coming up it would be even better. Well that ended our playoff run. Guys we had dropped off and You know the rest.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
In case anybody was holding out any hope for them, I don't think DuRapau or McRae are going to factor into the bullpen mix next year. Holy hell.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What a ****ing clown show.

And exactly what I want to see 2 days before deadline. We are willing to trade Vazquez...if this doesnt happen due to LA not wanting to give up Lux...theres more proof this franchise is cursed.

Cubs give up Eloy Jimenez for Quintana
Yanks giving up what they did for Chapman

Thats what we need.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
source.gif

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Smart move to let the Reds sweep us to make sure they don't sell anybody and water down Vazquez's market.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The only 2 teams that I don't see us catching as far as draft position goes are the Tigers and O's. They have 30 and 35 wins respectively. So barring a monumental shit finish we'll be no better than 3rd, but that is a possibility.

The team drafting 3rd right now would have 40 wins (Jays and Royals tied at .374). We're at 46 wins and a .438 winning %.

As it stands I believe we're in the 7 hole 1 game better than Seattle in the 6 position.

Getting all the way up to 3 might still be a stretch but if we do indeed sell of some pieces here between now and Wednesday, the odds of us winning more games than not down the stretch is low.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The only 2 teams that I don't see us catching as far as draft position goes are the Tigers and O's. They have 30 and 35 wins respectively. So barring a monumental **** finish we'll be no better than 3rd, but that is a possibility.

The team drafting 3rd right now would have 40 wins (Jays and Royals tied at .374). We're at 46 wins and a .438 winning %.

As it stands I believe we're in the 7 hole 1 game better than Seattle in the 6 position.

Getting all the way up to 3 might still be a stretch but if we do indeed sell of some pieces here between now and Wednesday, the odds of us winning more games than not down the stretch is low.

Thats how I see it...best we could get is 3rd. And these last 3(going on 4) years of not making the playoffs, finishing higher in the draft would have helped us over competing for a playoff spot until the end. So im glad we fell off earlier this time finally. We could be in a much diff spot right now if we had top 5-7 picks instead of where we finished.

For example lets just look at 2017 draft. We took Shane Baz at 12 overall. OF Joe Adell went 10th and is now the 4th best prospect in baseball. Only going 2 picks higher than Baz. Who we traded anyway but you get the idea. Then we took Swaggerty 10th last year. He hasnt done much yet.

Get that top5 pick. Add more top prospects at this deadline. To go with Newman/Reynolds. Hayes/Tucker/Cruz/Martin/etc

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Melky ends the game with a double. Raise that value. Have to think the Braves will trade for him or CD. Or maybe decide to aim bigger and go for Marte. And even swoop in and add Vazquez as well. They know what we want from the Dodgers. If LA wont give up Lux...Braves have the prospects to go all in.

Lets see if they are willing these next few days. May not think they are ready yet and hang onto those prospects.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I feel like the Braves are less likely because of where they are in their cycle, but if we were to just say that both Lux and Pache were off limits, then I like the combo of Waters and Anderson more than I do Ruiz and May.

We'll see... have to think tomorrow things might kick up a little bit, but we might also just be looking at a boring deadline as risk-averse GMs try to adjust to not having August 31st as a fallback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad