Archer FIP during his career

2012 3.40
2013 4.07
2014 3.39
2015 2.90
2016 3.81
2017 3.40
2018 3.75

What a bum, i'm sure nobody would want that.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Archer hasn't thrown below 4.00 ERA since the first half of 2015. 2015-2019. 4 years.

That's a #4 in a decent rotation.

He's also nearly 31.

FIP doesn't seem to be mattering for him. Good starts have been few.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
A 4 ERA in the AL east is good.

If you can't see that Archer has been a good pitcher throughout his career then i don't know what to tell you.

Anyways, moving on to the game tonight, Reynolds finally goes a game without a hit and Hurdle responds by benching him 2 games in a row.

A pinch hit triple by Reynolds last night wasn't even good enough to get him back into the lineup.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Who gives a shit what Archer was/is.

He is irrelevant.

What is relevant is we gave up a seemingly MVP caliber hitter and Cy Young caliber arm for him.

The only thing that MIGHT have tilted this trade in our favor was if Archer pitched like an ace and the Bucs won a title because of him.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, Hurdle immediately turning to an all veteran lineup now that shit has hit the fan was so predictable that it writes itself.

Wonder what Searage said to Keller in the dugout? "Son, you are doing ok, but you only threw 95% fastballs. Next inning, make it 100%."

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The worst part about this is that Keller's fastball is an excellent one, and most of these hits are bad luck. That just means the pounding is yet to come. He isn't ready for MLB.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We're probably looking at a situation where if Keller can get through five, it might be just the barest minimums of things to build on. I don't think he's going to get through five, though. They are so dead set on having him throw that fastball low in the zone that they are just going to do it until his ruined. He needs to throw it upstairs to challenge them to catch up to it and mix in sliders and the big curve.

It's literally Gerrit Cole all over again.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's funny, all the BABIP luck we've had all year and put to no good use but being in the cellar has come back to destroy Keller in this outing.

Block and Wehner are making all kinds of excuses for him but he's catching a ton of the plate almost every at bat and not fooling anybody with anything at all.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Keller has a history of struggling when changing levels. Not surprising. Given the state of things, he should just pitch the rest of the season.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
He got unlucky a number of times, but he did himself no favors by throwing almost exclusively fastballs in the first inning. They all got good looks at it and then started touching him up in their next at-bats. He has a fastball that can successfully challenge hitters up in the zone, and indeed that's how he got his K vs Donaldson. Yet he's throwing it almost always in the lower half of the zone.

I don't think changes would make that much difference, but Searage has definitely gotta go. If he is trying to turn Keller into a pitch to contact guy, he will never succeed.

I don't think Keller is ready for MLB and would much rather see him back here when he can throw the slider with good bite on it to mix with his curve and his fastball. But the curve is supposed to be the best pitch and we barely saw it tonight. I don't think he should go back right away, but I'd give him two or three more starts, and if he keeps getting hit around like this, send him back. I do wonder if he had just gotten a break in the first inning how different things might be, but that's just hypotheticals.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Sorry to turn into the most nihilistic nay-sayer, but I'm going to say from experience that we need about 7 more runs if we're going to win this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad