Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by Scandale du Jour, Aug 23, 2019.
Yup. The kid had 4 plus pitches when drafted and a 5th he uses lol. Yet still traded him.
Unreal. Would have been good in any system.
We took Baz then Lodolo. Nick didnt sign and trade away Baz? Made zero sense. Imagine having both with Priester. A
Team goes 4-24 when I wanted them to win. Season over, have at least 8th pick locked up(8-9 games ahead of next team) with great chance at 5th overall.
Now they refuse to lose. Come back in every game lol. Moved down to 9th in draft but only 3 games from 13th now.
Vazquez can matchup against any batter and dominate. By far best closer right now....would be a shame if he never gets to compete for a WS.
Watching him destroy the top batters in this league ....we have to get to watch that in playoffs/WS
They were never bad enough to ride a losing streak to a high pick and never good enough to ride a winning streak to the playoffs. Such is the reality of sports mediocrity.
And not managed well enough to prepare for future seasons to the best of their ability. Anyone want to bet Chris Archer pitches again this year?
Because why ****ing not?
After looking at some stat boards and realizing Reynolds had an absolutely torrid August, I think he's positioned himself slightly behind Alonso for Rookie of the Year, just ahead of Tatis because of his injury.
And good thing about him is he still has alot of room to improve. He struck out alot yet still has a .330 avg. When he fixes that? Even better results
And Newman with another steal that leads to a run. Love having more players who can SB going forward in Tucker(30+ potential), Swag(20+), and Newman(20+). Even Jared Oliva who had 39 last year and 38 this season. We'll see how his bat plays in MLB Tho. Better version of Luplow imo but we'll find out next season
Good debut so far from Marvel...
And Pitching Ninja is trolling me with Glasnow gifs on Twitter.
Hurdle is probably pissed a young pitcher is looking good. Youth can’t take a vets job.
This got a nice big laugh from me...
Was at that come from behind win at SF Giants last night.
Hilarious collapse to witness.
Vazquez came in and just destroyed with his speed. Was glorious.
That said. I'm not much into baseball, but holy ****, the fielding/bsse running by PIT was head scratchingly stupid at times.
Crick and Vazquez got into a fight last night, resulting in season-ending surgery for Crick.
We've seen the free-fall collapse in many forms over the past several years, both of the season-destroying and effectively season-destroying kind, but it's thoughtful of the 2019 team to add a new level of embarrassment.
Maybe Crick will pitch better now.
Crick seems like a piece of work
I wanted Crick traded. with the emergence of Feliz, and having Burdi/Santana back, along with Cederlind whos in AAA, its gonna be a crowded pen.
Might be tension between those guys(Crick, Kela towards Vaz since they want to be closers) so you move them in a trade. But in that same interview who talked about that, it was the opposite vibe he got from all of our young bats. "They all seemed chill and like each other".
It helps that alot of them spent time together throughout the minors....from A to AAA. Developing long term chemistry before reaching MLB.
After Hayes, Tucker come up for good...then theres the next wave who will have spent years together(started off in low A then high A this year, next two years in AA/AAA) in Cruz, Swag, Mitchell, Castro, Martin....that will help too. Thats along time playing along side the same prospects. All who happen to be in our top 20.
I thought Crick was good last year, but how can you justify keeping him at this point? He has gotten into fights with your star closer and your bullpen coach, and has generally been an asshat on twitter too.
If this is the stuff we're hearing about, I would love to hear about the stuff that's not being reported.
I'd also like to add that with the dumpster fire raging to a whole new level here, someone in power at the MLB level needs to be held accountable. Hurdle's clubhouse is a goddamn embarrassment. This goes beyond in game management.
Guaranteed Money Could Save Clint Hurdle’s Job With Pittsburgh Pirates In Face Of Bullpen Discord
Ha...Forbes knows Nutting
Id laugh if it wasnt true...and we wouldnt be stuck with him for 2 more years
And i also think without injuries next year our team will be in playoff race...so Hurdle prob gets extension
Man, I wish I could be that optimistic. I can't see them getting a rotation together that will allow them to be competitive for 162 games along with the in-game management style and lineup decisions of Hurdle getting them to where they need to be. The lineup should be good enough for a contender, but not good enough to cover for the inconsistencies that the pitching staff will have. I also don't have confidence that they will be able to build enough lineup depth to account for injuries and such.
I know you said "without injuries", but you have to account for some minor injuries here and there, no team ever goes through a season unscathed and without slumps. Big league depth is needed, especially in the OF. I think they have infield depth well enough covered if they trust their youth and properly use Gonzo as a 25th man. Catcher is overwhelming need, both in a starter and depth. And as always, IMO, they need to sign a minimum of 2 starters and 1 swing type man.
I think pitching will be better than we expect.
1. They finished 2018 second half as one of the best. And that did carry into this season until injuries hit. Taillon done completely leading to them trying Rookie Davis, McRae, Holmes, etc who all kept letting up 6-7 runs in the first...game over. Williams not being the same after his. So not only did they lose game with him out ...it continued when he came back.
2. That led to throwing off the rhythm of the rotation which is a big factor. Guys feeling more pressure...etc. Remember during the playoff years our whole rotation had ERA in the 3s. Didnt matter who they started...got great results. It was 2016 when we started to replace guys...that we saw a complete dropoff in results. While Cole maintained his 3era and Taillon coming up in summer ending season with the same....the rest were in 4s. Locke. And Liriano as well. It started exposing the ones who werent as good...along with the young ones having to adjust.
3. Its now been 3-4 seasons for most of these guys now. Turning 27-29. So the experience is there now for Musgrove. Went 150 IP for first time. Look for him to have his best season next year. I can see Williams back on track(he has been last 4 starts..2.50 ERA). Archer may finally forget about the trade and get that off his mind(the pressure of living up to it with who we gave up and how good Glass/Meadows have been). It will be his 3rd year now and i think that relief of being setttled in finally and not having such high expectations along with developing more chemistry will help.
4. Injuries hurt us this year but def helped for next. Allowing Brault to get more IP and succeeding. If he keeps it up...thats huge. Also allowed rookies like Agrazal, Keller, and now even Marvel to get starts who prob wouldnt have. Love Kellers potential. Not worried about the ERA..hes been extremely unlucky with most of those hits. BAPIP is .500. That is ridiculous and wont stay that way. Hes showed flashes of greatness against some top bats getting them to K while looking bad doing it in guys like Baez, Trout, Goldy, Rendon, Harper, etc. Hes faced some tough opponents....not to mention our horrible D which leads to..
5. Losing Cervelli really hurt this year . already had injuries to the staff but then they had to develop chemistry with Diaz "as a starter". Along with getting used to Stallings which took time. I think he will be solid next year. Maybe Diaz bounces back after a rough year...staritng off injured then the pressure of being the everyday C. Had alot more on his plate...
And better defense. Im hoping they realize how bad Moran was at 3rd and Hayes has so good of a ST it makes them change their mind. He will at least be on the 40. If not...Platooning Moran with Kramer maybe could help. Has alot more range...anyone other than Moran would help our pitching. Id actually put Tucker there . Scouting reports always said hed eventually add the build to go with his 6'3 height that will lead to way more power and better fit at 3rd. Hayes was always the guy so that was never the plan. But if they are gonna wait on Hayes....try Tucker. Either way...cant lose 10 games on Moran D alone.
I def think we will be better. The pen is already much better. And with the injuries they also had others step up like Feliz who put it all together finally(always had top stuff).
Then the group of Kuhl, Santana, Burdi, Brubaker, etc back from injury. May not help right away but 2nd half.
Separate names with a comma.