Raiders' Davis interview from Athletic on stadiums and more

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall

Interesting snippet (from Davis' POV) on how negotiations with Oakland went on new stadium (after losing out on relocating back to LA).

Now, when that was over (the NFL) gave each of us another $100 million (in stadium money) and I came back to Oakland and I said, now listen, we have $300 million from the Raiders, $300 million from the league, that’s $600 million dollars. Now I need help, I can’t do it on my own. I need help. And we couldn’t get the help. And we came back to Oakland and in good faith negotiated an extension (at the Coliseum) and we had a press conference, and in the press conference it was a “kumbaya” moment. And I had my tail between my legs. But I said, listen, we can still work on a long-term extension here. We were still trying to work something out for a stadium. This is where I want to be. But I need help.

So we had a press conference explaining that and everything else, and about a week later, one of the county board of supervisors told me, “Mark, you’re not going to believe what I’m about to tell you. And you’re not going to be happy about it, but they’re not going to honor what they negotiated with (Raiders president Marc) Badain and they’re going to raise the rent higher.” And at that point, I said, “f*** this.” I mean, OK, I talked to Badain and we decided to sign the extension, but at that point we were now going to take the opportunity at other options.

Compares that to a "magnificent" working arrangement in Nevada (with the cities of Henderson for practice facility and offices, Las Vegas for the stadium they'll be sharing with UNLV).

Lots of topics covered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad