Raiders' Brown files grievance over helmet UPD: arbitrator denies grievance

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27356491/sources-ab-says-no-football-old-helmet
First he threatens to retire (if he can't wear his 11 year old helmet).
The helmet that Brown is comfortable in and wore throughout his nine seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers -- believed to be the Schutt Air Advantage helmet, which the company has discontinued making -- is no longer certified by the National Operating Committee for Standards and Athletic Equipment.

The NFL has a policy of not allowing players to wear helmets that are not certified by NOCSAE, and the committee's rule has been that no helmets older than 10 years can be worn.

Claims newer helmets hamper his vision. (And his camp absence has been more an issue of helmet than the frost bite he got from not wearing approved foot gear in cyro tank this summer in France.)

Raiders Antonio Brown Files Grievance Over Helmet
Then he files grievance

Raiders' Jon Gruden defends AB's helmet grievance, injury
Raiders' coach supports grievance

Paywall. Threatening the league over head injury if forced to change helmet

(And just in case, he's been an issue at camp already
With frostbite and helmet issues, Antonio Brown is testing...
Paywall. Friday article - dealing with temperamental athlete.

Kawakami: One thing is clear amid the Antonio Brown chaos...
Paywall. Friday article; opinion - will he be with team only a short time?)

Definitely some dissension between player and team (and now league).

Just the grievance part will be interesting to follow. Has extensive testing been done on the old and new helmets to the point that insurers would insure only one in the case of injury? Will the statute of limitations be called into play if injury isn't discovered for years?

Given the craziness of the concussion suit vs the league, the only ones who are really salivating over this are the lawyers (and those with popcorn concessions).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Antonio Brown's grievance to wear old helmet denied by arbitrator, says he'll rejoin Raiders

Arbitrator rules against Brown. Brown will rejoin team on the field

"While I disagree with the arbitrator's decision, I'm working on getting back to full health and looking forward to rejoining my teammates on the field," Brown said. "I'm excited about this season appreciate all the concerns about my feet!"

Didn't think that he'd be cleared to wear his old helmet with two strikes (age, not certified).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->