Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
hot_take_house-520x245.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The weirdest thing about Raffl is his European career shouted AHL lifer:

He was in Allsvenskan, not even the SHL, at 23 and 24 years old.
Put up good but not spectacular numbers.
2011-12: 39g 10-13 23, SHL playoffs 6g 0-1 1
2012-13: 49g 24-22 46, SHL playoffs 10g 3-3 6
Then comes over and starts for the Flyers the next season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The weirdest thing about Raffl is his European career shouted AHL lifer:

He was in Allsvenskan, not even the SHL, at 23 and 24 years old.
Put up good but not spectacular numbers.
2011-12: 39g 10-13 23, SHL playoffs 6g 0-1 1
2012-13: 49g 24-22 46, SHL playoffs 10g 3-3 6
Then comes over and starts for the Flyers the next season.

He's a guy who would have passed through waivers over and over again.

Which is yet another reason why making grand proclamations about a player's future when they pass through waivers a suspect idea.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one made "grand proclamations" about NAK's future b/c he passed through waivers, just that the gnashing of teeth was a bit overdone.

4th liners pass through waivers on a regular basis b/c if they're perceived as 4th liners, there isn't a lot of upside there.
And every team has a bunch of 4th line candidates, so they're not dumping their own for someone else's unproven marginal prospect.
Every so often a player surprises, though as Raffl shows, even if they have that one 20 goal season, smart GMs aren't fooled.

I mean after Bunnaman's awful cameo, who would have written him in as the 4C during the team's hottest stretch of the season?
On the other hand, who is projecting NAK or Bunnaman as future top 6 forwards?
If they develop into reliable 4th line players who aren't out of place on the 3rd line, that's probably their upside.
Which is basically what Raffl has been his career - and there ain't nothing wrong with that (if you don't go crazy and pay them $4-5M a year).

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No one made "grand proclamations" about NAK's future b/c he passed through waivers, just that the gnashing of teeth was a bit overdone.

4th liners pass through waivers on a regular basis b/c if they're perceived as 4th liners, there isn't a lot of upside there.
And every team has a bunch of 4th line candidates, so they're not dumping their own for someone else's unproven marginal prospect.
Every so often a player surprises, though as Raffl shows, even if they have that one 20 goal season, smart GMs aren't fooled.

I mean after Bunnaman's awful cameo, who would have written him in as the 4C during the team's hottest stretch of the season?
If they develop into reliable 4th line players who aren't out of place on the 3rd line, that's probably their upside.
Which is basically what Raffl has been his career - and there ain't nothing wrong with that (if you don't go crazy and pay them $4-5M a year).

You should backread some of the NAK thread. Grand proclamations were made that his passing through waivers was incontrovertible proof that he is not and never would be an NHL player, and those making the claims vigorously resisted when it was pointed out that NHL-quality players have passed through waivers before.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Deady, it was bad. For some god-forsaken reason, I went back in an Incognito tab so I could see all of the posts. You were largely taking your usual stance of roles and minor players not mattering that much. But you're not everyone.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deady, it was bad. For some god-forsaken reason, I went back in an Incognito tab so I could see all of the posts. You were largely taking your usual stance of roles and minor players not mattering that much. But you're not everyone.

Some people here go off the rails in either direction.
NAK was part of a group of lineup shuffles, practically every LHV prospect other than the first year guys got a shot at PT this year.

I think at lot of it was just hate for the Stewart signing, but it was clear that the decision to waive NAK was due to him losing out in TC to Twarynski and Bunnaman, since he didn't return until after Vorobyev, Rubtsov and Kase got cameos.

Fletcher was correct in guessing that no other team saw enough in NAK to clear a roster spot to claim him. If it was obvious that NAK was NHL material, he'd have been claimed, it's the marginal prospects who pass through waivers.

Stewart was a different issue, I think Fletcher was hoping he'd get his legs back (Pitlick was awful for weeks after returning, then he did get his legs back) and give the team a true PF, not for fighting, but for causing havoc in the crease the way Simmonds used to do. There is no one else on the roster who has come close to filling that role, other than Lindblom. One reason I want to see Allison.

AV came in with a clean slate, all the kids had a fair shot to impress the new coach. Some did, some didn't.

NAK has been a pleasant surprise, but he had about as much chance of success as Vorobyev, who has a similar AHL track record.
That's why you play the games.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Coaches and GMs can't be wrong guys.

It doesn't matter that tons of people on here knew that it was a mistake and were proven correct, yet again.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
When you can roll Raffl as a fourth line winger, you have some seriously good depth in the team, and you should be making a run in the play-offs.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Coaches and GMs can't be wrong guys.

It doesn't matter that tons of people on here knew that it was a mistake and were proven correct, yet again.
It wasnt a mistake. He didnt do much with the chances he had prior. Make all the excuses you want fact is he didnt impress.

New coach comes in he was on of the first cut in camp. Again didnt impress. Went down to the AHL and didnt do much. Numerous others got called up before him. He didnt earn it.

Kudos now to him for making the most of this opportunity. Pleasant surpise.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Guy is a perfect bottom sixer. He has the physicality and some stick skill to play above his depth short term. But he is great to have on the roster due to his versatility. Depending on where they are contention and cap wise when his current contract is up, I wouldn’t be averse to them bringing him back another year or two.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's my issue too.

I have no issue with Raffl the player as a 4th line guy....especially if it was for only 1 year.

But deep down, I expect to be pissed off when he is on the 3rd line and posting 20 points.

17 points (16 ES, 1 PPP) in 51 games getting 11:02 at ES.

So he should get to 20 points despite being a 4th liner who missed at least 11 games. So should Pitlick who is at 17 P in 56 games getting 10:47 at ES.

NHL.com Stats

Reactions: deadhead

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Is there any contract or trade thread in the past year where you have said something sensible? :laugh:

If i was as obsessed with you as you appear to be with me then i'd go back through your history and find dozens of stupid stuff you've said too. Do i need to get a restraining order?

I was wrong, Raffl's won me over. Not sure if i'd re-sign him next summer again, but he's earned his spot.

Reactions: Starat327

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If i was as obsessed with you as you appear to be with me then i'd go back through your history and find dozens of stupid stuff you've said too. Do i need to get a restraining order?

I was wrong, Raffl's won me over. Not sure if i'd re-sign him next summer again, but he's earned his spot.

Don't have to resign him, he's on a two year deal.
He's unlikely to be resigned after this deal, given he'll be 33 and the Flyers will have numerous options for the 4th line.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

All I did was look at the first page of this thread - actually the first reply.

Rather than get a restraining order, I suggest not saying so much stupid negative shit in future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->