Raffi Torres or Trent Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Jackman5 said:
Opinions on both long term and next year's potential please. Also both are projected as "rugged" players, will either develop into a power forward?

Torres is far meaner and more rugged than Hunter. Hunter is not really an aggressive player. He does not back down at all, but he doesn't have Torres' nasty agitating style of play either. Torres is not huge, but he is strong, and plays like a human bowling ball.

As for overall skills, Hunter (at least right now) seems to have much better hands and he is a more natural scorer. In terms of skating, I'd give the edge to Torres, although neither is a speed demon. Torres, to me, seems a more balanced. Raffi also seems to move quicker when carrying the puck. Hunters' defensive game is more polished right now, but Torres has got a great +/- rating himself.

I think Torres is going to be EDM's answer to Brendan Morrow. A fiesty, defensively aware winger, who maybe scores 25 goals and 50 points a year. Hunter, will probably score a bit more, but will not have the same impact in the other areas of the game.

Which one would I take? Hard to say, because they are both very good young players. I'm glad the Isles still have Hunter, but wish they hadn't traded Torres.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Hunter for me all the way. He plays every part of his game better. Raffi is good. A good comparison but I would take Hunter.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
the previous comparasion between Morrow and Torres sounds good to me.

From What I saw from Hunter I can compare him to a bigger Somloinski. Can do about every thing quiet well on the ice but nothing exceptional. He may have a better touch close to the net and if he could develope it and become a little bit meaner he could become a force around there. But if he continue playing like he is, I think he's already over the production you ca expect from him.

Gimme Torres!

MHO...

BJ21

Izzy4Real

Mar 16, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Gimme Torres (I think he's more like Wendel Clark then anyone - who he grew up idolizing. Also I think he could hit 30 goals one day, which I could not see Morrow doing)

Torres = Intangible man: He's a leader, he hits to hurt, agitates, drives to the net, wins the board battles, scores from anywhere, and gets better as the final minutes tick down alot of these are qualities you see in VERY few players.

Hunter = Far more tame, but the exact average guy you love to have on your team, does nothing bad, nothing great and almost everything exceptionally, Todd White, Chris Drury, and Marco Sturm all come to mind. (The best thing about these players is their usually all clutch, and from what I've heard Trent is no exception)

Last edited:

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Izzy4Real said:
Gimme Torres (I think he's more like Wendel Clark then anyone - who he grew up idolizing. Also I think he could hit 30 goals one day, which I could not see Morrow doing)

Morrow was more of a scorer in his junior days than Torres. Love to have either on my team, but I think Morrow's offensive upside might exceed Raffi's. I guess we'll see.

Izzy4Real

Mar 16, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Darth Milbury said:
Morrow was more of a scorer in his junior days than Torres. Love to have either on my team, but I think Morrow's offensive upside might exceed Raffi's. I guess we'll see.

Granted and I very well could be wrong, I'm just talking outa my a$$ here because I'm only saying this from what I've seen of them in the NHL. And I, as an Oilers fan, have grudgingly seen alot more of Morrow then I have of Torres.

Morrow just seems like an energetic all-around player that hits everything in sight, and doesn't have the natural goal-scoring ability but gets goals on hard work and being in the right spot, and these players seldom have a 30 goal season nowadays. (Glenn Anderson was this way, and he got 50 goals due to era, team, and Messier)

Torres from what I've seen from him is far more willing to shoot the puck from anywhere and I've seen him score on some really tough angle shots, and he has moves in the offensive zone that most don't acknowledge because he's usually skating around/hitting/battling or he relies on his heavy shot to create his chances. Again, alot like Wendel Clark.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Izzy4Real said:
Granted and I very well could be wrong, I'm just talking outa my a$$ here because I'm only saying this from what I've seen of them in the NHL. And I, as an Oilers fan, have grudgingly seen alot more of Morrow then I have of Torres.

Morrow just seems like an energetic all-around player that hits everything in sight, and doesn't have the natural goal-scoring ability but gets goals on hard work and being in the right spot, and these players seldom have a 30 goal season nowadays. (Glenn Anderson was this way, and he got 50 goals due to era, team, and Messier)

Torres from what I've seen from him is far more willing to shoot the puck from anywhere and I've seen him score on some really tough angle shots, and he has moves in the offensive zone that most don't acknowledge because he's usually skating around/hitting/battling or he relies on his heavy shot to create his chances. Again, alot like Wendel Clark.

You could very well be right. It is really hard to say, because both players are so young. Torres wasn't a huge scorer in juniors but that doens't mean that his game can't develop a more offensive slant now.

BTW, I think you are selling Glen Anderson short. Anderson was an elite skater, and could carry the puck without loosing a stride. If he was around today, he'd probably still be an effective scorer.

kyle

Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
One of the better comparisons I've seen between players. I will abstain from voting as an Oilers fan but I really like both players. They both play tough and go hard to the net. They both can, however, score some nice goals too (YoungStars game, etc.) They are in really similar roles on their respective teams and any team would be happy to have either.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Darth Milbury said:
You could very well be right. It is really hard to say, because both players are so young. Torres wasn't a huge scorer in juniors but that doens't mean that his game can't develop a more offensive slant now.

BTW, I think you are selling Glen Anderson short. Anderson was an elite skater, and could carry the puck without loosing a stride. If he was around today, he'd probably still be an effective scorer.

Exactly!!! I was on my way to defend Anderson...

We can add that Anderson had a extremly precise wrist shot inside 10-15 feets...

BJ21

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Glenn Anderson is on of my favorite all time players!

I get to see a lot of Hunter and he is a fantasic player. I'd take Hunter on my team over Torres

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I was going to post my opinion but then Darth summed up everything I had to say. Good summation by Darth, and I agree with what he said.

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
I would take Hunter. Hunter does have better hands and will probably be a better scorer. Both play a pretty physical game, Torres is a little more ruggid in his game, but thats something that will probably increase for Hunter as time goes on. He is playiong more & more physical as the season preogresses and pretty much hits everything. As far as a Power Foward Hunter's natrual size advantage over Torres will give him an edge in this. Torres is a strong guy & does play like he is bigger than he really is, but Hunter still has the size advantage and uses it

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Both will be great players i think. and the Torres Morrow comparison is bang on.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I think it is very close.. Hunter will probably end up scoring a few more goals in his career but Torres is the much more physical player. I'd definitely love to have both on the Oilers though.. :)

Smash255

Oct 22, 2003
Farmingdale
none.com
Cerebral said:
I think it is very close.. Hunter will probably end up scoring a few more goals in his career but Torres is the much more physical player. I'd definitely love to have both on the Oilers though.. :)

I guess you don't wtach the Islanders much then. No question that Torres is physical, but so is Hunter

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Smash255 said:
I guess you don't wtach the Islanders much then. No question that Torres is physical, but so is Hunter
I guess he was going by his PIMS which doesnt always tell it like it seems.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I think they are about equal, but I think that I'd choose Torres because he's a year and a half younger (and I'm an Oiler fan). Both are going to be decent players though.

Islander's batman

Feb 19, 2004
Queens, Stonybrook
One thing about Hunter is that whenever a line is struggling he's put onto the that line and that line automatically is much improved and plays much better. Hunter really hasn't had any consistent linemates at any point in the season. Which ever linemates he has on his line he seems to elevate their game. I think that's as good a compliment you could give any player. Also Hunter is very physical he hits hard often and consistently as well.

I'll take Hunter but Torres has alot of upside its not like he's chop liver...

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Islander's batman said:
One thing about Hunter is that whenever a line is struggling he's put onto the that line and that line automatically is much improved and plays much better. Hunter really hasn't had any consistent linemates at any point in the season. Which ever linemates he has on his line he seems to elevate their game. I think that's as good a compliment you could give any player. Also Hunter is very physical he hits hard often and consistently as well.

Same thing happened with Torres this year. MacT will put Torres onto a struggling line to ignite them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->