NFL: Rae Carruth breaks silence and scheduled to be released from prison on October 22th, 2018

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Former Carolina Panthers player Rae Carruth breaks silence behind bars, hopes for relationship with son

Ex-Panthers WR Carruth seeks custody of son

Carruth is scheduled to be released from Sampson Correctional Institution in Clinton, North Carolina, on Oct. 22. He was sentenced to 18 to 24 years in 2001 after being found guilty of hiring Van Brett Watkins and Michael Kennedy to murder Adams. Watkins, who shot Adams multiple times, was sentenced to a minimum of 40 years. Kennedy, who drove the car, was released in 2011.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I've read a few of these articles about Cherica Adams over the last year or so, and thought about posting this one but decided against it given the lack of nuance this board tends to have.

Adams is open to Carruth having a relationship to Chancellor, and that's not for any of us to question. But I think we can all agree with her on one point: he doesn't deserve anything close to custody. I haven't read the letter in full (nor do I care to), so I don't know exactly what he's looking for, but the quotes don't exactly paint him in the best light. It's a half-assed apology/admission at best, though it's more than the nothing he's said for the last however many years since he went to prison. Everyone, including him, knows what he did. Whether or not he's come to terms with it is between him and whatever God he's apparently found. I truly hope he's changed, but it's not going to undo what he did.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Some of his comments are pretty bad. The fact he seems to be unwilling to take on full responsibility and is seems to be trying to be pedantic and petty really makes me think he shouldn't even have any role or contact with the son.

When his says "his mother should be raising her son" maybe its just me but how is that not insanely tone deaf considering he is the reason she isn't. Also the comment about accepting the fact he is a "social pariah", no you are not a social pariah you are a scumbag murderer, again maybe I am reading too much into but it came off as trying to show him as a victim here and once he is out.

The part about him saying I didn't kill her because of child support but because she wouldn't get an abortion. Does he think that changes anything or matters at all 18 years later?

Why he doesn't just come out and say how sorry he is, how he has used this time to change and wants to spend the rest of his life making it up is beyond me. But instead he seems trying to spin it to make things not seem as bad or him not nearly as bad as he clearly was.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
As far as i'm concerned, he doesn't deserve to breath.

Look at your son, Rae. He could have been a totally healthy, functional adult by now. Instead, your actions condemned the poor kid to a life of isolation and needing constant care. It's one thing for a child to be born with defects, it happens. But these problems were caused basically by Carruth's actions.

In short, **** him.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree with the notion that Carruth deserves death for what he did, or at minimum life in prison, but it's not for racial reasons. It's for "this guy is clearly a piece of **** and needs to burn" reasons.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Exclusive: Rae Carruth has a change of heart regarding his son

Sounds like he took the hint

“For all involved or invested in this ordeal, please calm down,” Carruth wrote as part of a letter he addressed to me that I received Wednesday at the Charlotte Observer. “I will no longer be pursuing a relationship with Chancellor and Ms. Adams. I promise to leave them be, which I now see is in everyone’s best interest.”

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He had 18+ years to think about that, a sudden change of heart is something I'm not buying. The law seems to be on Saundra Adams' side though, and I don't know if she ever got paid from the wrongful death lawsuit she won.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I read/watched the story about his son earlier this year, that part of the story is extremely sad.

The rest of the story disgusts me - the circumstances, the motive, the method, the "justice". Not something I ever really need to dig into again.

member 157595

I agree with the notion that Carruth deserves death for what he did, or at minimum life in prison, but it's not for racial reasons. It's for "this guy is clearly a piece of **** and needs to burn" reasons.

Are there actually people on this board that think that Carruth is a piece of garbage strictly because of his race? Honest question, I don't come here that often.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If I was his son I would never ever want to see him. He is 100% the reason his son will never be able to do many of the things we all enjoy doing. Then he tried his bullshit excuse.

What gets me is he tried to kill her so he wouldn't be stuck with child support payments. There was easier ways to get rid of the baby then ordering a murder. Or he could have just stuck with it while making hundreds of thousands, potentially millions in the NFL.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If I was his son I would never ever want to see him. He is 100% the reason his son will never be able to do many of the things we all enjoy doing. Then he tried his bull**** excuse.

What gets me is he tried to kill her so he wouldn't be stuck with child support payments. There was easier ways to get rid of the baby then ordering a murder. Or he could have just stuck with it while making hundreds of thousands, potentially millions in the NFL.
Clearly the man isn’t too bright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad