Radulov...Tukonen...Ladd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
How will these prospects fair on their respective teams? and who will make the biggest impact at the NHL level?

My guess is that all three are looked at as offensive players. Tukonen maybe the most ready to step in and contribute, Ladd has a great opportunity to impress on a goal starved team in Carolina, and Radulov, is very exciting with the puck, and Nashville needs a few more guys who can dangle.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
IMHO this is the order I'd rank with projections...

1. Ladd. I think he will be a very good 2-way forward. A Ryan Smyth type of player who will be a core player for years to come. He would def be my choice.

2. Tukkonen. He should be a solid 2-way, 2nd line winger. He will be a nice player for years to come, but I think some people overrated him alot expecting him to go top 5. 9th-12th overall was right where he should have gone.

3. Radulov. Hit or miss. Could be a 70-plus point player or nothing. Neither would durprise me.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Barnaby said:

1. Ladd. I think he will be a very good 2-way forward. A Ryan Smyth type of player who will be a core player for years to come. He would def be my choice.

2. Tukkonen. He should be a solid 2-way, 2nd line winger. He will be a nice player for years to come, but I think some people overrated him alot expecting him to go top 5. 9th-12th overall was right where he should have gone.

3. Radulov. Hit or miss. Could be a 70-plus point player or nothing. Neither would durprise me.
Agree with those rankings.

db23

I don't think Ladd will be a scorer in the NHL. More of a grinder type. If you look at his history, he has always been a decent scorer at each level he was at, but never a spectacular scorer. There were about a dozen similar forwards to Ladd taken last year who had as good or better offensive background. Mid first to second round guys like Stewert, Brown, Bernier, Getzlaf, Fehr, Perry, Kesler, Fritsche...all have shown as much or more offensive promise in junior, all are big, strong power forwards. Eric Fehr is only a couple of months older than Ladd and he potted 50 goals in the WHL last season. Same size, equally tough, better skater. Not many are hyping Fehr as a future NHL scoring star, but he sure looks a lot more likely than Ladd. Same with Ladd's linemate in Calgary this year, Ryan Getzlaf. Just 6 months older, bigger, faster and had the same point total in far less games. Getzlaf is projected as more of a checking forward.

Tukonen is more difficult to project since he is a full year younger than Ladd, but his scoring in the SM Liiga was the same as Jani Rita at the same age. Rita was also hyped as a power winger with good wheels and looked spectacular in international competitions. Tukonen had 6 points in the SM Liiga at 17, Tuomo Ruutu had 22, so take it from there. Ruutu wasn't really projected as an offensive player, although he has turned out better than expected.

Radulov will turn out like his older brother more or less, I think. Spectacular offensive stretches offset by long slumps and difficulty getting playing time due to a poor two way game.

Ladd - Curtis Brown
Tukonen - Jere Lehtinen
Radulov - Igor Radulov

I really don't think there is much to get excited about in this year's draft in terms of offensive production beyond Ovechkin, Malkin and perhaps Cam Barker as a defenceman. Lots of muckers with Rotislav Olesz the best of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
db23 said:
\
Ladd - Curtis Brown
Tukonen - Jere Lehtinen
Radulov - Igor Radulov

Ladd will be better then Brown. More of a Smyth or Graves type PF. At worst he's a physical 3rd liner. I dont like the Brown comparison.

Tukkonen's defense is NOWHERE near that of Lehtinen and it never will be. 2-Way player, but not Jere.

db23

When he was drafted, Getzlaf was described very much like Kyle Chipchura from this year's draft. Big strong centreman, good skater, two way player, some toughness. There were many other forwards in the draft considered to have more offensive talent.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
db23 said:
I don't think Ladd will be a scorer in the NHL. More of a grinder type. If you look at his history, he has always been a decent scorer at each level he was at, but never a spectacular scorer. There were about a dozen similar forwards to Ladd taken last year who had as good or better offensive background. Mid first to second round guys like Stewert, Brown, Bernier, Getzlaf, Fehr, Perry, Kesler, Fritsche...all have shown as much or more offensive promise in junior, all are big, strong power forwards. Eric Fehr is only a couple of months older than Ladd and he potted 50 goals in the WHL last season. Same size, equally tough, better skater. Not many are hyping Fehr as a future NHL scoring star, but he sure looks a lot more likely than Ladd. Same with Ladd's linemate in Calgary this year, Ryan Getzlaf. Just 6 months older, bigger, faster and had the same point total in far less games. Getzlaf is projected as more of a checking forward.

Tukonen is more difficult to project since he is a full year younger than Ladd, but his scoring in the SM Liiga was the same as Jani Rita at the same age. Rita was also hyped as a power winger with good wheels and looked spectacular in international competitions. Tukonen had 6 points in the SM Liiga at 17, Tuomo Ruutu had 22, so take it from there. Ruutu wasn't really projected as an offensive player, although he has turned out better than expected.

Radulov will turn out like his older brother more or less, I think. Spectacular offensive stretches offset by long slumps and difficulty getting playing time due to a poor two way game.

Ladd - Curtis Brown
Tukonen - Jere Lehtinen
Radulov - Igor Radulov

I really don't think there is much to get excited about in this year's draft in terms of offensive production beyond Ovechkin, Malkin and perhaps Cam Barker as a defenceman. Lots of muckers with Rotislav Olesz the best of them.

It's funny, but very true, how this years draft being so weak, makes some player comparisons rather comical. If Ladd was in last years draft he may have been a late 1st and possibly early 2nd rounder. But this year he garners accolades from CSS and the like as a bonified power forward, after finishing his year strong. He only the one good year, and while he played well, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Weak draft makes decent players seem like Superstars in the making, I wish him well in his career, but just don't see him being a premier power forward.

X-SHARKIE

I agree with you guys one one level.

But saying Andrew Ladd can't put up the numbers is comical.

The guy is going to be a stud, his finess game is great underated and he has the smarts and awareness to be a very good player offensively, were as Brown has the mental awareness more resembling a banger kind of a player.

Andrew Ladd would've likely been a top 10 pick or just outside of that in last years draft.

But I have to agree handfull of players from the 2003 draft taken later then 4th like Vanek, Michalek,Phaneuf, Suter, Parise,Stewart, ect. ect. would be taken ahead of Ladd if they were all in the same draft.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Barnaby said:

That's more or less how I look at it, but I think Tukonen could be a first line player as well, in a similar role as Ladd, just less dominating/effective.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This happens every year, people start overating a weak draft thinking they will be as successfull as the previous draft. I doubt Ladd will ever break 60 points in the NHL. I just didn't see him dominate enough to make me think otherwise.

X-SHARKIE

I still would take Tukonen over Ladd. Radulov reminds me of Zherdev, although I've only seen Alex one time so I don't know what to make of him, but when I saw him I loved what I saw.

I recently aquired Radulov via trade and Tukonen via 5th overall in a keeper league :)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
X-SHARKIE said:
I still would take Tukonen over Ladd. Radulov reminds me of Zherdev, although I've only seen Alex one time so I don't know what to make of him, but when I saw him I loved what I saw.

I recently aquired Radulov via trade and Tukonen via 5th overall in a keeper league :)
Thats the thing, this draft is only giving poor versions of last years draft. Many seem to think Zajac is a poor version of Staal, Radulov a poor version of Zherdev, Ladd a poor version of Horton ect ect ect....

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Barnaby said:

What a bull**** statement? Its so easy to say that now. Who should have been drafted over him? Not Montoya, not Valabik, not Smid, not Picard and definitely not Wheeler. Well at least not in my opinion but I guess a few teams would disagree. However, Tukonen was the third best forward available in the draft. He's built for the NHL and while he's not ever goin to be a top scorer on his team, he will definitely be among the top 3. I'm just wondering who you would pick over him that he could fall to 9 let alone 12? LA got one of the biggest steals of this century.

db23

The only problem is that with so many fans thinking their team got a "steal" it gets pretty crowded in the top 5. The big factor with Tukonen is that he is so young, he doesn't turn 18 for a couple of months. A lot of the other top prospects are a year or more older than him.

X-SHARKIE

JasonMacIsaac said:
Thats the thing, this draft is only giving poor versions of last years draft. Many seem to think Zajac is a poor version of Staal, Radulov a poor version of Zherdev, Ladd a poor version of Horton ect ect ect....

Agreed. 2003 draft wipes the floor with this draft, thats why when people make a 2003-2004 top 10 and I see guys like Vanek,Michalek,Suter,Phaneuf, ect. get ignored, I don't know what they're thinking.

Not saying Radulov over Zherdev, Zherdev put in better numbers in the top league then Radulov did in junior.

But Radulovs competiveness, his slippery skating, his deft playmaking and finishing skills look like a poor mans Zherdev, witch is a very promising player still.

I think Ladd well hit around 60 points for the record.

I have to agree with Patty.
I would've taken Tukonen 4th overall my self, but I don't think taking Ladd 4th overall was such a bad thing either, he's a very good player. I like Picards upside, when he dominates he reminds me of a young Jarome Iginla, but I don't see him becoming the next Iginla. Smid was taken over Meszaros and in the top 10 simply because he's just as big, but he's a better skater, I mean Smid is a great skater, he also seems to be more skilled. ALthough I like Meszaros more because he really seems to put his skills to better use and he's got a real head for the game.

Overall 2004 had some guys taken to high. On one hand though there were a few taken to low, I think Schremp falling to 25 was somthing, although to be honest when the Sharks moved up to 22 I didn't want Schremp to be the guy they select.
Mezaros falling to 23 was a shame, SCHWARZ at 16?
But Tukonen falling to 11th was a big one IMO, I think he may end up like T. Ruutu in 2001, where the 1 and 2 overall picks still seem to be the better player, but Tukonen should prove down the road he was the 3rd best forward in the draft.

Sorry I got off track here lol. Although threads at this site always venture off somwhere else eventually lol.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
X-SHARKIE said:
But I have to agree handfull of players from the 2003 draft taken later then 4th like Vanek, Michalek,Phaneuf, Suter, Parise,Stewart, ect. ect. would be taken ahead of Ladd if they were all in the same draft.

X-Sharkie, what about Eric Fehr? How would compare the two? (Ladd & Fehr)

Thanks for any insight you can provide :)

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hero of Tragedy said:
However, Tukonen was the third best forward available in the draft. He's built for the NHL and while he's not ever goin to be a top scorer on his team, he will definitely be among the top 3. I'm just wondering who you would pick over him that he could fall to 9 let alone 12? LA got one of the biggest steals of this century.

Biggest steal of the century? Give me a break. Not a Kings fan are you?

He's a good player, and will make a nice addition to the top 6 of any team, but he's no star. I honestly see Ladd, Thelen, and Montoya making a bigger impact on the NHL level, but hey thats me.

He is a solid 2-way player who will score, and play solid defense, but I doubt the becomes a go-to-guy for any team.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Barnaby said:
Biggest steal of the century? Give me a break. Not a Kings fan are you?

He's a good player, and will make a nice addition to the top 6 of any team, but he's no star. I honestly see Ladd, Thelen, and Montoya making a bigger impact on the NHL level, but hey thats me.

He is a solid 2-way player who will score, and play solid defense, but I doubt the becomes a go-to-guy for any team.

Considering the Century is only 3 years old (2001 started, remember), he's quite close.. why the need to give you a break? :D

monarchy

Jul 16, 2002
Visit site
As a Kings fan, looking at this comparison of the 2003 and 2004 drafts, I'll ask the crowd this ....

Which was a better pick (read: more of a steal or will have more of an impact ... however you want to analyze this) ...

Dustin Brown at #13 in 2003
or
Lauri Tukonen at #11 in 2004

Both went quite a few picks lower than projected and don't seem to be rated as highly after the fact. Is there a steal there, a lucky pick, or GMs seeing into the future?

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
monarchy said:
As a Kings fan, looking at this comparison of the 2003 and 2004 drafts, I'll ask the crowd this ....

Which was a better pick (read: more of a steal or will have more of an impact ... however you want to analyze this) ...

or

Both went quite a few picks lower than projected and don't seem to be rated as highly after the fact. Is there a steal there, a lucky pick, or GMs seeing into the future?

The Kings will no doubt be ecstatic with both these young and very skilled players. I feel that come draft day all the logic in the world will not help you predict what any G.M. will do. All it takes is one unforeseen pick, like Phoenix taking Wheeler at #5, and the whole deck gets reshuffled. The fact that this was perceived to be a weak draft is the reason so many teams went off the board in making their selections. I think that if you ask all the teams that chose before L.A. they would all say that they are pleased with who they picked. However, I feel that L.A. lucked out huge in having Tukonen slip to 11. This kid is younger than most, but may be one of the most NHL ready players in the draft. With all the injury trouble in L.A. that comes as welcome news. I would hope that Dave Taylor and his staff do not rush him in, as another year would only help him long term. As far as Brown is concerned, he is a very good player who plays big, is very quick and can finish around the net. He will need some time in the bigs to figure things out but with Frolov, Brown, Tukonen, and now Garon in net, the future in L.A. is just around the corner, and it looks very bright.

X-SHARKIE

monarchy said:

or

I would say Lauri Tukonen is the bigger steal, selecting a talent like Tukonen, whose game well translate very well to the NHL, in an average draft at pick 11 was awesome.
I'm sure the Kings wanted Schwarz but when Tukonen was there, they couldn't pass up.

Dustin Brown, I always thought he was just going to be a tough nosed kid who can skate and shoot, but his hockey awareness well keep him away from the top line and mabey even the 2nd line. I think he could be a very good third liner on a good team. I think Dustin is going to be a banger. He just isn't smart enough offensively to ever be a scorer at the NHL level IMO.

X-SHARKIE

Cush said:
X-Sharkie, what about Eric Fehr? How would compare the two? (Ladd & Fehr)

Thanks for any insight you can provide :)

Hey Cush.

I agree that Eric Fehr and Andrew Ladd are actually quite similar.

Both Ladd and Fehr are big big guys who skate extremely well. Ladd has an effortless stride to him and he's a great skater. Fehr has elite acceleration and really moves well. Both are top notch skaters. Both use their size well to get were they need to be. I think Ladd is going to put in more points then people give him credit for. I think 60 is a reachable goal, but with him working with Staal for years, I could see him putting in around 70 tops. Ladd is a very very smart player with amazing vision, he's a great playmaker and he goes to the net with the best of them. I really like the Rick Nash comparison, although I like Tukonen more I think Ladd well be worth a 4th overall selection.
I think Fehr is a better defensive player, this year he also seemed to have more of a mean streak to him. He also goes to the net hard and really improved.

I like Eric Fehr alot, but I would take Ladd over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad