Speculation: Radko Gudas

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This isn't actually speculation.

I don't think there's a credible source that links us to Gudas. He fits too well with the Flyers and he's not really the guy we need anyway. (...Although I, personally, and obviously, would love to have him back.)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ya I this it's more fan speculation that was brought up on the main board just wanted to see how Lightning fans felt about it ?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't think Yzerman values Gudas that highly considering he shipped him off in the first place. But yes why in the world would Philly do it?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think Yzerman values Gudas that highly considering he shipped him off in the first place.

I don't know. You have to consider the circumstances at the time. Gudas was out for the year, had just had a knee surgery (and wasn't the most mobile guy to begin with), and we had a shot to make a deep run in the playoffs. Coburn was good in those playoffs.

I would love to have Gudas on the 3rd pairing right now. Remember how we used to be "difficult to play against"? Gudas was a lot of that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I don't know. You have to consider the circumstances at the time. Gudas was out for the year, had just had a knee surgery (and wasn't the most mobile guy to begin with), and we had a shot to make a deep run in the playoffs. Coburn was good in those playoffs.

I would love to have Gudas on the 3rd pairing right now. Remember how we used to be "difficult to play against"? Gudas was a lot of that.
Ya I think we need a guy like him we have to be harder to play against. I would even consider killorn for gudas at this point.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Disagree, Gudas was trending downwards even before his injury, guy was a good for a beauty hit or 2 every couple games but was routinely getting outskated and beat wide by anyone with speed. His lackluster skating caused him to take bad penalties as well. He started out being "difficult" to play against then become a pylon.

Seems to have found a new gear in Philly or maybe their defense is just so bad he looks better than he is. Either way, he'd be a 3rd pairing guy on our team, who doesn't provide puckmoving abilities or offense, while costing 3m+.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
My main point is you don't often see GMs turn around and reacquire a guy they just spurned and vice versa (can anyone cite an example?). But I also agree with Sky04's assessment.

I do agree that we need more guys that are difficult to play against in general, though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
My main point is you don't often see GMs turn around and reacquire a guy they just spurned and vice versa (can anyone cite an example?). But I also agree with Sky04's assessment.

I do agree that we need more guys that are difficult to play against in general, though.

There's a ton of examples of guys who were traded at the deadline then resigned back with their former team in the off-season or a few years later (Conacher), but not really any for guys who were traded, signed on extension with their new team then reacquired by the former team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Disagree, Gudas was trending downwards even before his injury, guy was a good for a beauty hit or 2 every couple games but was routinely getting outskated and beat wide by anyone with speed. His lackluster skating caused him to take bad penalties as well. He started out being "difficult" to play against then become a pylon.

Seems to have found a new gear in Philly or maybe their defense is just so bad he looks better than he is. Either way, he'd be a 3rd pairing guy on our team, who doesn't provide puckmoving abilities or offense, while costing 3m+.

Absolutely he was, but he's been pretty good since the trade, and I don't think Philly's defense is a whole lot worse than ours.

I said earlier I don't think he's the guy we should be targeting, but I do think he'd make a solid bottom-pairing guy who could occasionally fill in on the top-4. But there's no way Philly would move him anyway.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Nobody had been "spurned" in the transaction - trade was held up to make sure all staff had been on board with trading him because he was so well loved. Philly asked for him too and wouldn't take no for an answer.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd rather just watch a clip of his one nice hit a month on YouTube than him getting burned or taking a dumb penalty every night for us.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

He didn't find a new gear, he found a new knee. His skating looks much better, much more efficient, and his numbers are placing him around what we had hoped Garrison would continue to be. Basically shot generating second pair D-man.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He didn't find a new gear, he found a new knee. His skating looks much better, much more efficient, and his numbers are placing him around what we had hoped Garrison would continue to be. Basically shot generating second pair D-man.

At the time getting coburn was great but right now ya I'd take gudas over garrison right now.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
At the time getting coburn was great but right now ya I'd take gudas over garrison right now.

I honestly never thought i'd say that, no disrespect to Gudy, but yeah. He really took a step forward defensively, though he still has minor footspeed issues as well as the ability to take just a pile of penalties, though that seems to have subsided a bit this season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I honestly never thought i'd say that, no disrespect to Gudy, but yeah. He really took a step forward defensively, though he still has minor footspeed issues as well as the ability to take just a pile of penalties, though that seems to have subsided a bit this season.

With the penalties though, I do think there were benefits to having a guy play on the edge like that. I mean, undoubtedly there were drawbacks to Gudas's game at the time of the trade (or before the injury, I guess), but the big hits and general meanstreak did seem to spark some energy, kind of like Callahan when he first came to the team (except Cally was never as vicious). And other teams just always had to know where he was when he was on the ice.

There was a lot of talk about a wolf pack type mentality in that first full Cooper year. 5 man units, but also being "hard to play against," which Coop did not disguise as meaning anything but a team that can beat you up a little bit physically, despite lacking size. I do feel like we lost a bit of that identity when Gudas left. I'm not sure we've ever been as fun to watch since, or as good (in the regular season).

Samhain84

Jan 25, 2017
Yeah, this isn't going g to happen. Gudas was a turn over machine but he puts solid hits on guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->