Confirmed with Link: Radko Gudas traded to Washington for Matt Niskanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
It would have been funny if Niskanen had pulled a Buff, and didn't report. All the Flyers salary cap issues would be over for as long as he wasn't playing.

Provorov-Braun
Sanheim-Hagg/Ghost
Ghost/Hagg-Myers
Morin

I’d take the cap issues if it means avoiding this nightmare lineup

Reactions: FatTugboatFlahr

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
"See, a coaching staff is using Gudas this way"

is the new

"gee, I was told an NHL management will never hire Hakstok again"

Reactions: Striiker

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
"See, a coaching staff is using Gudas this way"

is the new

"gee, I was told an NHL management will never hire Hakstok again"

I’m still convinced that DH will never be a head coach at either NCAA or NHL level

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I’m still convinced that DH will never be a head coach at either NCAA or NHL level

Oh I think an NCAA team would absolutely take a swing at him if they had the chance. But he's been getting NHL money these days, and it's pretty hard to go back to the college ranks after you've seen the pro checks.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nothing is impossible in the NHL. No retread too bad to get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th shot.

Hockey guys are like cockroaches... you can't get rid of them...

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oh I think an NCAA team would absolutely take a swing at him if they had the chance. But he's been getting NHL money these days, and it's pretty hard to go back to the college ranks after you've seen the pro checks.

I'm certainly not privy to any of his current salary info, but I think it's an interesting risk on his part. I could see it making sense either way.

NHL Assistant salaries are usually reported in the extremely rough range of 50k to 150k. It would surprise me if he wasn't on the high end of that scale given his experience. If you go to a top NCAA program, 400-500k is extremely reachable, plus some bonuses and marketing opportunities.

It probably comes down to what his NHL tenure is worth on his next deal. David Quinn got 2.4 MM per coming from BU. That's a big jump from the cheaper public coach salaries like Travis Green at 1 MM and Tocchet at 1.5. I would guess he would expect to have to make up the dif

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'm certainly not privy to any of his current salary info, but I think it's an interesting risk on his part. I could see it making sense either way.

NHL Assistant salaries are usually reported in the extremely rough range of 50k to 150k. It would surprise me if he wasn't on the high end of that scale given his experience. If you go to a top NCAA program, 400-500k is extremely reachable, plus some bonuses and marketing opportunities.

It probably comes down to what his NHL tenure is worth on his next deal. David Quinn got 2.4 MM per coming from BU. That's a big jump from the cheaper public coach salaries like Travis Green at 1 MM and Tocchet at 1.5. I would guess he would expect to have to make up the dif

My cursory look said the average in 2011 was between $150k and $200k, but who knows the veracity of that. Being in Toronto, almost a decade later, with head coaching experience, I'd say you can guess Dave is making roughly $200k.

Should've stipulated that I don't think a big-name NCAA school would go after him after what happened with UND--when he left and they finally won the damn thing the year after, it became apparent that their recruiting had more to do with their success than his coaching. But there's a lot of NCAA teams out there, and certainly one of the less high-profile ones would love to get a name with some Frozen Four and NHL experience in the building.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Should've stipulated that I don't think a big-name NCAA school would go after him after what happened with UND--when he left and they finally won the damn thing the year after, it became apparent that their recruiting had more to do with their success than his coaching. But there's a lot of NCAA teams out there, and certainly one of the less high-profile ones would love to get a name with some Frozen Four and NHL experience in the building.

Uh, the primary key for success in any NCAA sport is recruiting, you think Alabama wins just on Saban's brilliance?

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Wasn't Hakstol the highest paid state employee when he left North Dakota?

No wonder the NDSU guys left. :sarcasm:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Uh, the primary key for success in any NCAA sport is recruiting, you think Alabama wins just on Saban's brilliance?

It's important. But if you recruit well but coach it terribly, you lose. Talent alone isn't the end-all-be-all you think it is.

There is a reason UND never won under Hakstol and then immediately won once someone else was managing the team.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It's important. But if you recruit well but coach it terribly, you lose. Talent alone isn't the end-all-be-all you think it is.

There is a reason UND never won under Hakstol and then immediately won once someone else was managing the team.
They won a ton under Hakstol & he had the program at its absolute peak when he left. His assistants inherited a very well-built program that had Hakstol’s fingerprints all over it.

The program has now gone straight downhill, declining more each season Hakstol hasn’t been there.

Each of their last 3 seasons they’ve had worse records than Hakstol ever had in his 11 seasons: Hak’s 2 worst seasons were .605 &
.607 win %. The last 3 seasons, North Dakota has been .563, .550, .514.

This is more akin to Kevin Ollie at UConn men’s basketball — inherited a long-time great program from Jim Calhoun, won a national championship in his 2nd season, but by his 5th & 6th years the team was under .500, something that never happened once in Calhoun’s 26 seasons, the program was in shambles, & Ollie was fired.

I could easily see Hakstol going back to North Dakota, if he wants to.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They won a ton under Hakstol & he had the program at its absolute peak when he left. His assistants inherited a very well-built program that had Hakstol’s fingerprints all over it.

The program has now gone straight downhill, declining more each season Hakstol hasn’t been there.

Each of their last 3 seasons they’ve had worse records than Hakstol ever had in his 11 seasons: Hak’s 2 worst seasons were .605 &
.607 win %. The last 3 seasons, North Dakota has been .563, .550, .514.

This is more akin to Kevin Ollie at UConn men’s basketball — inherited a long-time great program from Jim Calhoun, won a national championship in his 2nd season, but by his 5th & 6th years the team was under .500, something that never happened once in Calhoun’s 26 seasons, the program was in shambles, & Ollie was fired.

I could easily see Hakstol going back to North Dakota, if he wants to.

They disappointed in the tournament annually.

There is a reason when we hired him, a friend from Minnesota laughed at the hiring and cited Hakstol's inability to win when it mattered, with stacked talent too. It was no different here. Those two series were beyond brutal. Failing to get the most from his roster is what he does.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Making the playoffs twice with the crap Hakstol was given by Hextall during the rebuild isn't "failing to get the most from his roster."

Or do you miss Weise, Weal, Folin, MacDonald, Leier, Cousins, Filppula, Luby, Schultz, Gordon, Manning, VdV, Gagner, White, Umberger.
All of whom played significant minutes, because behind them were Knight, Varone, Akeson, Brennan, Goul et al.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Making the playoffs twice with the crap Hakstol was given by Hextall during the rebuild isn't "failing to get the most from his roster."

Or do you miss Weise, Weal, Folin, MacDonald, Leier, Cousins, Filppula, Luby, Schultz, Gordon, Manning, VdV, Gagner, White, Umberger.
All of whom played significant minutes, because behind them were Knight, Varone, Akeson, Brennan, Goul et al.

Choosing to match MacDonald and Hagg against Crosby is the definition of not getting the most from your roster and might be the single stupidest, most incompetent decision I can think of, possibly in any sport.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Too bad he couldn't play one arm Provorov 60 minutes, and if I remember, Ghost was torched that series and Gudas wasn't much better.
I guess he could have always used Manning. :naughty:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Too bad he couldn't play one arm Provorov 60 minutes, and if I remember, Ghost was torched that series and Gudas wasn't much better.
I guess he could have always used Manning. :naughty:

Ghost was not torched in that series. He did not need to play Provy 60 minutes. When you have to pretend that was the only option, your position is indefensible and you know it.

He chased the worst possible matchup, at the same time that Sullivan was eagerly chasing it. He was making the worst possible choice; and yes, he certainly did have a choice. Do you think that's good coaching?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost was not torched in that series. He did not need to play Provy 60 minutes. When you have to pretend that was the only option, your position is indefensible and you know it.

He chased the worst possible matchup, at the same time that Sullivan was eagerly chasing it. He was making the worst possible choice; and yes, he certainly did have a choice. Do you think that's good coaching?

Ghost was certainly torched in that series, Sullivan aggressively forechecked him and exposed him. The league followed the next season.

Gudas was turned around more than once by the Pen forwards.

Sanheim started the first four games, Hagg actually played better the two games he played, both Sanheim and Lindblom showed why HCs don't like to give rookies major roles in the playoffs, even talented rookies.

CF% - xGF%
Provorov 52.85% - 53.45%
Ghost 47.90% - 48.48%
Gudas 46.75% - 39.39%
Amac 45.26% - 42.96%
Manning 48.77% - 38.11%
Sanheim 48.00% - 43.77%
Hagg 47.06% - 68.35%

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ghost was certainly torched in that series, Sullivan aggressively forechecked him and exposed him. The league followed the next season.

Gudas was turned around more than once by the Pen forwards.

Sanheim started the first four games, Hagg actually played better the two games he played, both Sanheim and Lindblom showed why HCs don't like to give rookies major roles in the playoffs, even talented rookies.

CF% - xGF%
Provorov 52.85% - 53.45%
Ghost 47.90% - 48.48%
Gudas 46.75% - 39.39%
Amac 45.26% - 42.96%
Manning 48.77% - 38.11%
Sanheim 48.00% - 43.77%
Hagg 47.06% - 68.35%

That series was the beginning of the end for Ghost. He was coming off a great regular season, then was an absolute trainwreck in the playoffs. Endless forced plays & turnovers. Pittsburgh ate him up with pressure, & he kept trying to make plays through it even though he wasn’t fast enough.

And he carried over the same exact problems into the regular season last year. Surely teams learning how to attack him is part of it. His rookie season, he could get by people & make them look bad. Can’t anymore & the league knows it.

As for Gudas, he was terrible that whole season, including the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad