Speculation: Radim Vrbata

JA

Vrbata helped to ruin the Canucks' chances at a top four pick with this goal late in the season.

The Canucks came back from a 2-0 deficit to win in OT. They gained two points when they could have easily lost the game.

I agree that he should have been moved after his 31-goal, All-Star caliber season. He was worth a first round pick prior to this past season. His value declined very rapidly as the spark that he had the previous year vanished. Early in the year, he was just unlucky with many shots hitting the post. Later on, he started to exert less effort.

He still has the ability to play at a respectable level, but he needs to play in a motivational situation. He needs to play on a playoff team. Of course, that was not a consideration for him this year due to his wife's pregnancy. I think this year was particularly dull for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Could see him possibly signing a one year deal with us again, hypothetically if we managed to trade for Kane,

Kane-Sutter-Vrbata, I like it.

No ****ing way. He's useless away from the Sedins, and we just got Eriksson to play with them. He stays here he'll just sulk and pout all year long like he did last season.

Later, Vrby. We had a nice 1 year fling, but that's over now.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
HeS going to need to take a 1 Year deal with a pay cut...
I'm surprised Toronto or Carolina haven't signed him to a cheap deal.

I think he sucks but i'd probably give him a 1 Year 2M deal.

JA

HeS going to need to take a 1 Year deal with a pay cut...
I'm surprised Toronto or Carolina haven't signed him to a cheap deal.

I think he sucks but i'd probably give him a 1 Year 2M deal.
He had a career year in the first of his two seasons with the Canucks and looked excellent. He was the Canucks' lone All-Star representative, and was named the team's MVP and most exciting player before the final home game of the season.

All of the goals in this highlight package are, for whatever reason, completely out of order:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=762822
Vrbata wins Canucks MVP & Most Exciting Player Award
Saturday, 04.11.2015 / 10:17 PM PT / News
Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks announced their annual player awards for the 2014.15 season as voted by fans. The awards were presented in a pre-game ceremony that included special recognition of Canucks alumni and fan favourite, Gino Odjick.

Radim Vrbata earned the Cyclone Taylor Trophy as the Canucks MVP. He was also presented, by Gino Odjick, with the Pavel Bure “Most Exciting Player” award as selected by fans. Entering tonight’s game, Vrbata ranks third on the team in scoring (31-30-61), and first on the team in goals (31), powerplay goals (12) and game-winning goals (7).

Derek Dorsett is the recipient of the Fred J. Hume Award as the Canucks’ “Unsung Hero” as voted by fans. He appeared in his first season with the Canucks this year registering single-season career-highs in both points (25) and assists (18). The 6’0”, 187 pound forward currently leads the team in hits (165) and his team-leading 175 penalty minutes rank third in the League.

Chris Tanev is the fan-voted recipient of the Walter (Babe) Pratt Trophy for being the Best Defenceman for the first time in his career. Tanev has recorded a career-high 20 points (2-18-20) in his sixth season with the Canucks. He currently ranks first on the team in shorthanded time on ice per game (2:46) and second in even-strength time on ice per game (17:47). Tanev also leads the team and ranks 11th in the League in blocked shots this season with 169.

Summary of 2014.15 Vancouver Canucks Awards:
- Cyclone Taylor – “Most Valuable Player”: Radim Vrbata
- Walter (Babe) Pratt - “Best Defenceman”: Chris Tanev
- Pavel Bure – “Most Exciting Player”: Radim Vrbata
- Fred J. Hume - “Unsung Hero “: Derek Dorsett
- Three Star Award - “Most Three Stars Selections”: Ryan Miller
- Cyrus H. McLean – “Leading Scorer”: Daniel Sedin
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Radim+Vrbata+unanimous+choice+Canucks+writers/10944316/story.html
Radim Vrbata unanimous choice as Canucks MVP: Sun writers
Iain MacIntyre, Brad Ziemer and Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun 04.02.2015

IAIN MACINTYRE

MVP: Radim Vrbata

Some players, glimpsed from a distance two or three times a year on other teams, lose their lustre when viewed every day. Vrbata is actually a better player when seen up close. Sure, he’s the best pure finisher the Canucks have had since Markus Naslund. But he checks too, is terrific with teammates and makes players around him better. His ability to keep scoring after head coach Willie Desjardins moved him off the Sedins’ line deepened the Canucks’ offence. Oh, and the team is only 20-4-4 when he scores. The best free agent $10 million can buy.

BRAD ZIEMER

Was there a better free-agent signing last summer than Vrbata? The classy 33-year-old Czech is finishing off a brilliant regular season and leads the team with 31 goals. Vrbata not only helped kickstart a rebound season for Henrik and Daniel Sedin, he continued to produce when he was moved off the top line and lately has helped re-energize new linemates Nick Bonino and Chris Higgins. He leads the team with 12 power-play goals.

ELLIOTT PAP

At age 33, who knew what to expect from Radim (rhymes with dream) Vrbata? He had spent much of his career in the relative anonymity of Phoenix and Carolina with a little bit of Colorado, Chicago and Tampa thrown in. All he has done is lead the team in goals, power-play goals, game-winning goals and, in March, all kinds of clutch points, both goals and assists.

462166644_10_slide.jpg

He most notably had a bad start to his year with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2008-09. That said, he rebounded. He is still capable of playing at a relatively high level. I don't think he has declined; it just seemed like an off-year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Much like Samuelsson before him when he wasn't gifted ice time with the Sedins he was useless in any other role. No back check; no forechecking; weak board play: perimeter player who skated I engaged and disinterested when playing 5on5 with any non Sedin. One trick pony offensively - like Samuelsson - the play ended on his stick even if it was a weak shot from a bad angle. At least Hansen knows that if he can't get a goal shot he can dish the puck back to a Sedin corner and get open again. Vrbata would just shoot it. Half the time wide and then ricochet out of the zone. Then he'd skate off on a line change rather than help get the puck moving in the right direction again. He needs a gifted top 6 spot with a veteran pass first center. He probably would have been better on Detroit last year with Richards given they had a defensively line mate

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Much like Samuelsson before him when he wasn't gifted ice time with the Sedins he was useless in any other role. No back check; no forechecking; weak board play: perimeter player who skated I engaged and disinterested when playing 5on5 with any non Sedin. One trick pony offensively - like Samuelsson - the play ended on his stick even if it was a weak shot from a bad angle. At least Hansen knows that if he can't get a goal shot he can dish the puck back to a Sedin corner and get open again. Vrbata would just shoot it. Half the time wide and then ricochet out of the zone. Then he'd skate off on a line change rather than help get the puck moving in the right direction again. He needs a gifted top 6 spot with a veteran pass first center. He probably would have been better on Detroit last year with Richards given they had a defensively line mate

That's rather disingenuous, Vrbata played extremely well the prior season with Nick Bonino. I mean what a surprise, a pure sniper who signed with the Canucks to play with the Sedins, who did extremely in year one with both of the Canucks playmakers, didn't do two well in year 2 when he had no effective puck movers to play with.

Vrbata should be a good add for anyone who has a playmaking center and could use a sniper. If you're going to pair him with someone like Brandon Sutter, then don't count on much goals.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
This guy needs to ride shotgun to an elite playmaker. He can finish but he's not going to do any of the work to get the puck. I don't know how many spots are going to be available for a player like him in the NHL today.

Family guy but might have a bit of a self-serving attitude in the room, I wouldn't hitch my wagon to him if I was looking to make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad