Racist incident at the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan's Cup

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
A Russian-Armenian player for Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk showed a racist gesture during a preseason game in Kazakhstan against Kunlun Red Star, a KHL team based in China. He was fined an undisclosed amount of money, but the team refused to suspend him and no disqualification followed.

The very lax "punishment" is extremely disturbing, especially considering that Kazakhstan itself is an Asian country.

78.jpeg

Links (in Russian) –

The incident: Стас Петросян подрался и показал расистский жест - Шайба.kz
Kunlun Red Star statement: "Его необходимо вывести на чистую воду". "Куньлунь Ред Стар" выступил с официальным заявлением и опроверг слова Стаса Петросяна - Шайба.kz
Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk statement: "Торпедо" оштрафовало Стаса Петросяна и выступило с официальным заявлением - Шайба.kz

Reactions: KTl

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Here's what I think.
Human nature is ugly. It's selfish. It's all the worst things about people. That's the reality. All the "Ism's" people hate, those are the default settings for mankind. Those are survival instincts. There was a time when those instincts probably served a useful purpose.
Being able to override them is a 1000 year experiment in learned behavior overriding base instinct. Some people are better at this and are further along than others.
Bottom line, some people are shitbags. It's going to happen. Try not to be one of them and enjoy the company of those who treat people appropriately. You can't fix everyone.

Last edited:

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I'm not exactly understanding what's the point of discussion here in context of the KHL? They can't punish a player from a non-KHL team.
It's here because it was a KHL preseason tournament (with 2 KHL teams participating − Barys and Kunlun, albeit the guy is from a non-KHL team), but I'm fine with this thread moved to "Hockey Talk by Country" or any other relevant forum.

The point of this thread is not only about the incident per se, but the very lax punishment, that I don't get. The guy was finally suspended for ONE GAME by Kazakh hockey federation. Probably it's not thread-worthy, but it's hockey-related. The case must be noticed, it's not something people should just shrug off and pass over in silence as nothing happened. Publicity helps in fighting against racism.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It's here because it was a KHL preseason tournament (with 2 KHL teams participating − Barys and Kunlun, albeit the guy is from a non-KHL team), but I'm fine with this thread moved to "Hockey Talk by Country" or any other relevant forum.

The point of this thread is not only about the incident per se, but the very lax punishment, that I don't get. The guy was finally suspended for ONE GAME by Kazakh hockey federation. Probably it's not thread-worthy, but it's hockey-related. The case must be noticed, it's not something people should just shrug off and pass over in silence as nothing happened. Publicity helps in fighting against racism.

My issue is not the topic itself, but the connection to the KHL - those pre-season tournaments are not actually held by the KHL, that's why there is that kind of mix of teams, this one was called "President of the Republic of Kazakhstan's Cup", for example. So I can't agree with the "preseason game in KHL" in the thread's name, as organizers are different here. KHL does help promote that kind of tournaments though, but again, can't have any power about punishing non-KHL players.

And yes, I feel that moving it to the appropriate forum section will be the right thing to do too, since it is something that, as you mentioned, is related mostly to the Kazakh hockey federation.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Labeling this "Eastern European" is hardly any better. Öskemen is less than 200 miles from China.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
A Russian-Armenian player for Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk showed a racist gesture during a preseason game in Kazakhstan against Kunlun Red Star, a KHL team based in China. He was fined an undisclosed amount of money, but the team refused to suspend him and no disqualification followed.

The very lax "punishment" is extremely disturbing, especially considering that Kazakhstan itself is an Asian country.

View attachment 461403

Links (in Russian) –

The incident: Стас Петросян подрался и показал расистский жест - Шайба.kz
Kunlun Red Star statement: "Его необходимо вывести на чистую воду". "Куньлунь Ред Стар" выступил с официальным заявлением и опроверг слова Стаса Петросяна - Шайба.kz
Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk statement: "Торпедо" оштрафовало Стаса Петросяна и выступило с официальным заявлением - Шайба.kz
The Chinese team just gotta spank em on the ice. What do they want me to do? Not tune in? I already wasn’t doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad