Race for the Rocket Richard 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The Rocket Richard race for most goals, once thought to be a sure-thing for Auston Matthews, has become close.

Connor McDavid now has 20 goals, which is 1 goal behind Auston Matthews 21 goals.

Do you think McDavid will take away Matthews best chance at winning his first-ever major award?

* (Calder is a secondary award, in my opinion. You are only competing against other rookies.) *

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Who?

Whoever wins it in 2021, if not Pasta/OV will take it away from OV. Something can't be "taken away from AM" if he literally NEVER had it.

Leafs fans always looking at the standings and projections like 10 games in and dreaming. just lol

One, you're being over sensitive.
Two, he said take away his chance. He didn't say take away his award, or take away his winner status, or anything of the sort.
Third, 10 games in? The season is half over.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'd be far more concerned if he doesn't. This year is the perfect storm for him to add it to his collection

Reactions: Another AZ

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
The Rocket Richard race for most goals, once thought to be a sure-thing for Auston Matthews, has become close.

Connor McDavid now has 20 goals, which is 1 goal behind Auston Matthews 21 goals.

Do you think McDavid will take away Matthews best chance at winning his first-ever major award?

* (Calder is a secondary award, in my opinion. You are only competing against other rookies.) *

What does this statement have to do with this years rocket race?
Edit, totally missed that paragraph before in the OP, and I agree the calder is secondary

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If Matthews has his hand heal, I think he will win. But it's going to be close me thinks.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Who?

Whoever wins it in 2021, if not Pasta/OV will take it away from OV. Something can't be "taken away from AM" if he literally NEVER had it.

Leafs fans always looking at the standings and projections like 10 games in and dreaming. just lol

Or they are looking at what he's done every year since he's been in the league.

To the question, yes, due to injury, McDavid certainly has a shot. If not for that, he'd have no shot.

Reactions: Rob Brown

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Who?

It'll be OK. But great addition to the thread. :thumbu:

Reactions: Rob Brown

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
This really depends if Matthews wrist is back to normal now that hes had basically a week off.
If Matthews isnt playing his regular role theres no chance hes going to keep up with McDavid.
when Matthews wrist is fine it could be a much different conversation
all the luck to McDavid. he doesnt really need it, he's just too good.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This really depends if Matthews wrist is back to normal now that hes had basically a week off.
If Matthews isnt playing his regular role theres no chance hes going to keep up with McDavid.
when Matthews wrist is fine it could be a much different conversation
all the luck to McDavid. he doesnt really need it, he's just too good.

Matthews wrist getting healthy should make it more interesting for sure. But a healthy wrist doesnt mean he comes back scoring at the ridiculous pace he was either. Before this season his career S% was 15.69, this year its up over 3 percent. If he was shooting at his career percentage he would have 17-18 goals. Now in a short year, a year older and in a higher scoring division he could absolutely keep his percentage up.

But staying as hot as he was pre injury is less likely than it is likely. And McDavid is basically chugging along at his career average right now. I think its gonna come down to the wire but McDavid is the type that I could see going similar to Crosby the year he decided he wanted to win the rocket.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Matthews with more goals in 6 less games and 3 games in hand

Ya I’m sure mcdavids gonna take it from him lmao

Also his wrist is getting better so prepare for him to go back to his early season goal scoring pace

Reactions: Hollywood North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad