Race for the Rocket Richard 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
See VooDoodaddy, this is an example of being "offended."

Ok. Seems like we have a hard time agreeing on a subjective term like being “offended”

So how ‘bout we talk about the objective piece of info on goal scoring like 0.84 gpg vs. 0.59 gpg

If Matthews stays healthy are you suggesting that the guy in 2nd place in goal scoring is gonna catch him? I’m no mathematician but it seems like CbD would have to score around a goal every game for the rest of the season to catch Matthews.

Will CMD catch Matthews if neither misses another game?

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Holy #$%# Leaf fans get offended easily ... it's a $#@%ing list!

I realized something this year, I don't really hate the Leafs. What I hate are Leaf fans and the media.

And for the record, one of McDavid or Draisaitl is catching Mathews.

After all, I have never heard anyone say of Mathews:

“When I watch Connor McDavid play, I look up at God and start crying. He’s unbelievable” - Kris Versteeg*

*He is a weird dude!
He was pointing out that injuries are being used against matthews and not mcdavid. it seems like you are being triggered

Reactions: hockeeyyy

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Holy #$%# Leaf fans get offended easily ... it's a $#@%ing list!

I realized something this year, I don't really hate the Leafs. What I hate are Leaf fans and the media.

And for the record, one of McDavid or Draisaitl is catching Mathews.

After all, I have never heard anyone say of Mathews:

“When I watch Connor McDavid play, I look up at God and start crying. He’s unbelievable” - Kris Versteeg*

*He is a weird dude!
You seem really sensitive and desperate for validation. Maybe the internet isn’t for you.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Just to clarify why Matthews is at the bottom of my personal ranking. Three things.

1) Unsustainable shooting percentage
2) Injury prone player
3) McDavid and Draisaitl duo
You put multiple players above Matthews that are riding way more unsustainable shooting percentages, and ones that have had more injuries through their careers. Even with Matthews being injured for pretty much the whole season, he still has a sizeable lead. Your bias is incredible.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
As the title states this thread will be to discuss the race for the Rocket Richard in the 2021 season. Below will be the main contenders. Discuss away.

McDavid
Draisatil
Debrincat
Ehlers
Toffoli
Boeser
Matthews
Other???

I think McDavid or Draisaitl have it this year personally.
Nice to see Matthews squeaked onto your list.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ok. Seems like we have a hard time agreeing on a subjective term like being “offended”

If Matthews stays healthy are you suggesting that the guy in 2nd place in goal scoring is gonna catch him? I’m no mathematician but it seems like CbD would have to score around a goal every game for the rest of the season to catch Matthews.

Will CMD catch Matthews if neither misses another game?

Well least you got the bolded right.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
As per usual, there is some serious mental gymnastics on display by some in this thread attempting to paint Matthews as not the odds on favorite to win the Rocket at this point. Still lots of hockey to play, but assuming the relative health of all players in the race, there is no reasonable argument that doesn't start with him at or at very least among the very top

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If McDavid and Draisaitl stay on the same line and keep pacing like they are, one of them.

Matthews has cooled off a bit after his hot start, he’s still the favourite and he’s really good this year. He’s on my top 5 forwards list, but he might be in tough against one of McDrai by the seasons end.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
McDrai just snuck up and are right behind Matthews, at the pace they're going at McDavid will sweep the awards ceremony.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
McDrai just snuck up and are right behind Matthews, at the pace they're going at McDavid will sweep the awards ceremony.
Matthews = 21 goals, 0.84 G/GP
McDavid = 17 goals, 0.59 G/GP
Draisaitl = 15 goals, 0.52 G/GP

I’d say Matthews is on a decent pace.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Well least you got the bolded right.

Well I’ll try. I seriously don’t know if I did it right lol

Leafs (Matthews) have 28 games left to play. At .84 gpg Matthews will score 25-26 more goals for a total of 46-47

Edm (CMD) have 27 games left to play. At .54 gpg CMD will score 15-16 more goals for a total of 32-33

So CMD has to score around 14 more goals than matthews in the remaining games. Which means he has to score around 30 in his next 27 games.

That’s at their paces this year and assuming no injuries.

Like I said. Not sure if I did that right. Honestly. I’d really like to know what would have to happen assuming these paces continue and none of these guys get injured.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Matthews = 21 goals, 0.84 G/GP
McDavid = 17 goals, 0.59 G/GP
Draisaitl = 15 goals, 0.52 G/GP

I’d say Matthews is on a decent pace.

He was but with McDrai back together, they'll produce more goals they're the #1 duo in the league, McDavid can score in bunches when he's on and he's been on.
It'll be a close race but McDavid is so competitive he'll go for it.

Mar 26, 2010
If McDavid and Draisaitl stay on the same line and keep pacing like they are, one of them.

Matthews has cooled off a bit after his hot start, he’s still the favourite and he’s really good this year. He’s on my top 5 forwards list, but he might be in tough against one of McDrai by the seasons end.
He has been playing with an injured wrist. That is why. He is still scoring with the injury and will get better.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Good point, Matthews isn’t competitive so he’ll probably stop trying to score.

Never said that, I just don't see him doing it at the pace that McDavid and Draisaitl together can do it, especially now that he's within 4 goals, McDavid can and has done that in one night.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
At this point it's Matthews to lose. I doubt the Oilers will keep Leon and Connor together all season, and Connor has a pass first mentality so it's not that likely to happen. 19% shooting isn't an unsustainable number for Matthews. It's higher than his career average but it's also right in the ballpark where Leon has been over the past 3 seasons. It's not unsustainable for elite shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad