Race for the Rocket Richard 2021 - Part II

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Maybe not all year but definitely the last half of the season. Instead of hitting a wide open Matthews he tries a toe drag and turns it over. Many missed open cross seam passes where Marner decides to shoot his muffin shot instead of hit Matthews. Happens quite a lot. I do believe Matthews would currently have 50 were it not for this.
We can all say that though. I could see McDavid right now with literally 110 points with the chances he gets or guys flub lol

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Would have over 70 if not for wrist. Do any adjustments you like, current Matthews = Peak Ovechkin as a goal scorer, and is dagerously close as an overall player.
We have to see it again next year too. I am curious to see what he does against the entire league. Which team has he "beat up on" the most?

Not bashing wise. Would be interested to see. Maybe he is pretty equal.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
We have to see it again next year too. I am curious to see what he does against the entire league. Which team has he "beat up on" the most?

He was on pace for 55 last season so it's not that crazy to envision 60 ish health allowing. As insane as that is to write

Jesus Is Lord

Jan 13, 2019
We can all say that though. I could see McDavid right now with literally 110 points with the chances he gets or guys flub lol
Hmm yes maybe. I just believe they can get someone better and less selfish to link up with Matthews. Even Nylander would be better.

Acesup

Nov 23, 2019

Lol he's been the best goal scorer in hockey since his rookie season. This without putting up crazy numbers on the powerplay.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Maybe not all year but definitely the last half of the season. Instead of hitting a wide open Matthews he tries a toe drag and turns it over. Many missed open cross seam passes where Marner decides to shoot his muffin shot instead of hit Matthews. Happens quite a lot. I do believe Matthews would currently have 50 were it not for this.

You can't be serious? Only reason Matthews doesn't have more goals is due to having a wrist injury. Blaming one of the better playmaking wingers in the league , who's primary assisted on majority of Auston's goals, is the wrong hot take.

Acesup

Nov 23, 2019
I mean this rate . Like 65-70 goal pace.
Geez dude go read my posts lol. I am not saying it in a negative way
Well obviously he isn't going to score at this rate all the time. If he has a full healthy season he can probably hit the 60 goal plateau a few time. If he actually develops a good one timer he could probably hit 70.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well obviously he isn't going to score at this rate all the time. If he has a full healthy season he can probably hit the 60 goal plateau a few time. If he actually develops a good one timer he could probably hit 70.

He has a bomb of a one timer. He just doesn't get set up for them overly often

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
His goal scoring is surprisingly evenly distributed, with most I believe against Ottawa, but nothing close to McDavid's 30% of points against 2 teams.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
His goal scoring is surprisingly evenly distributed, with most I believe against Ottawa, but nothing close to McDavid's 30% of points against 2 teams.
16 goals against 2 teams, roughly 41% of his goals.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Yeah
47% of goals against VAN+OTT; 1.06 GPG; S% 25
Against others 0.67 GPG; S% 15.5
BTW
McDavid has 51% of points against WPG+OTT

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I called a hat trick for Matthews at work earlier today with a fellow Leafs fan.

I also purchased a Lotto649/Ontario49 ticket and told everyone I was gonna win tonight finally.

So basically if Matthews scores I get $15, 000,000.

Could be a pretty good night for me.

That would be amazing. Hopefully you top it off with a Stanley Cup!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

This season, he has 9 goals against each of Ottawa and Vancouver and 5 goals against each of Montreal, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary. The Leafs have 3 games left against Montreal, and 1 game against each of Winnipeg and Ottawa.

His career totals against each team can be seen here:

Auston Matthews Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

For comparison, McDavid’s career numbers are here:

Connor McDavid Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
16 goals against 2 teams, roughly 41% of his goals.

You're right, things have changed quickly. The fact that Matthews has done this with a wrist injury for so long more than makes up for beating on a few weak teams in the division, which I don't believe is exclusive to him. Him and McDavid would be close to this pace in a full regular season.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
What’s crazy to me watching pretty much all the games is how many high danger opportunities Matthews has that don’t get converted or hit posts.

Never seen a player that I’ve watched night in and night out that so consistently has dangerous scoring chances.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What’s crazy to me watching pretty much all the games is how many high danger opportunities Matthews has that don’t get converted or hit posts.

Never seen a player that I’ve watched night in and night out that so consistently has dangerous scoring chances.

Exactly. Crazy thing is Toronto is on their first powerplay in 2 games, imagine if Matthews got more powerplay time?

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
You're right, things have changed quickly. The fact that Matthews has done this with a wrist injury for so long more than makes up for beating on a few weak teams in the division, which I don't believe is exclusive to him. Him and McDavid would be close to this pace in a full regular season.
Everyone usually has a few teams that they go nuts against. Its hard to say how pace will translate for those players once things get back to normal...guess we will have to wait and see. All I know is McDavid has always been an Art Ross threat and Matthews a rocket threat.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->