Race for the Rocket Richard 2021 - Part II

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Possibly, but just looking at what the players rounding out the top five need in order to tie Matthews.
  • Rantanen, 8 goals in 12 games
  • McDavid, 9 goals in 11 games
  • Marchand, 9 goals in 10 games
  • Ovechkin, 9 goals in 9 games

The race is virtually over at this point. Here's the probabilities I calculate for these five players winning the Rocket Richard:
  • Matthews - 97.8%
  • Rantanen - 1.3%
  • McDavid - 0.7%
  • Marchand - 0.5%
  • Ovechkin - 0.2%
If the remainder of the season played out 50 times, Matthews would take the Richard 49 times.

(Even if Matthews doesn't score another goal this year - ie serious injury or cold streak - he'd still take the Richard around 83% of the time, assuming his competition stays healthy).

guidmaker

Apr 20, 2021
Most goal scorers hit their peak before or in their 5th season. IMO this won’t be the norm for Matthews, someone younger and better will come along.

Hitting his peak would mean it's exactly the norm that we can expect going forward until the eventual late 30s drop off.

That is one crazy, disingenuous reach by an obvious ulterior motive.

CeTUJzY.png

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hitting his peak would mean it's exactly the norm that we can expect going forward until the eventual late 30s drop off.

That poster claims to be a Leaf fan but is in fact extremely anti Leaf

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

CeTUJzY.png

In fairness, your specific example actually helps that poster's argument. Ovechkin's "peak" season was before that red line. He never again came close to scoring 65 goals after that red line.

In fact, his three best seasons (according to pace) were before that line.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Ovi is the one guy that could score a bunch in a hurry. If I remember he had a very slow start this year and was waaay back. He has slowly climbed back in the race. I seem to remember last year, as I was following Matthews vs other goal scorers, I think at one point OVI had like 8 goals in a 3 game stretch or something crazy. On average Matthews is good for one every couple of games, if he keeps that pace it's a done deal.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
As the end of the season draws nigh, the cricket population in this one rises exponentially.

Looks like Jesus is the only one who will have a shot given an extremely easy end of season schedule. Ridiculous to think that if not for a wrist injury Matthews is probably already at or close to 40.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
As the end of the season draws nigh, the cricket population in this one rises exponentially.

Looks like Jesus is the only one who will have a shot given an extremely easy end of season schedule. Ridiculous to think that if not for a wrist injury Matthews is probably already at or close to 40.

He would've hit 40 a while ago without the wrist injury. We would be talking about a player closing in on 50 by seasons end. He has just been that good in games where he's been able to shoot, basically a goal a game.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marner struggled badly last year. He didn't play well at all. In fact, the Leafs in general didn't play well. Furthermore, Matthews spent a lot of time in the off season working on his fitness and conditioning. He dropped 15 lbs.

So a leaner and faster Matthews probably should increase his ppg. Also helps that the Leafs are playing much better than last year, particularly his playmaking winger.

In their world everyone peaked at 22, they can't possibly get any better.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Most goal scorers hit their peak before or in their 5th season. IMO this won’t be the norm for Matthews, someone younger and better will come along.

Correct.

It's very doubtful that ANY player will have multiple seasons like THIS in today's NHL. But who cares? If this is his peak, it's a great peak & we're all fortunate to witness it. He can follow this year up with a lots & lots of 35-40 goal seasons and I'll be more than happy with his career.

And yes, someone younger & better will come along. Eventually, they do that. Sad news for you, but.....that might be little while. :)

Reactions: dubey

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Correct.

It's very doubtful that ANY player will have multiple seasons like THIS in today's NHL. But who cares? If this is his peak, it's a great peak & we're all fortunate to witness it. He can follow this year up with a lots & lots of 35-40 goal seasons and I'll be more than happy with his career.

And yes, someone younger & better will come along. Eventually, they do that. Sad news for you, but.....that might be little while. :)

Why would you cap him at 35 /40 ? He's been ahead of that pace every year in his career. If he doesn't have multiple 50 goal seasons ( barring career altering injury) at the end of his career that would be disappointing. However winning could tilt this perspective

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I said at the beginning of the year that I thought this was Matthews best chance at a Rocket. He is an easy winner at this point.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Why would you cap him at 35 /40 ? He's been ahead of that pace every year in his career. If he doesn't have multiple 50 goal seasons ( barring career altering injury) at the end of his career that would be disappointing. However winning could tilt this perspective

Yes, he likely will get more some years. But I'm being conservative(just to make a point, really). Just saying that I don't care if he's a 50 goal a year guy all the time. He's still a great player and scorer and I'd be very happy with 35-40 goals every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad