Race for the 2021 Presidents' Trophy

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Updated after Saturday's games. NY Islanders dropped out at least for now.

Mathematically eliminated teams so far:
BUF, NJD, ANA, OTT, CBJ, LAK, SJS, DET, CGY, STL, ARI, CHI, PHI, MTL, NSH, DAL,

Rangers isn't eliminated yet. They need at least:
1) Win all remaining eight games
2) Vegas can't get a single point more
3) Colorado has to win Vegas in regulation twice but can't get a single other point
plus some other stuff that has some error margin.

Vancouver is 1-2 points away from being eliminated.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Presidents Trophy is a Stanley Cup curse. Thus, I declare the Oilers' eliminated ;)

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Rangers was just eliminated mathematically. Florida - Tampa games can't end so that Rangers could surpass both of them.

Also Florida and Tampa clinched their playoff-spots.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My guess is that the President's Trophy either goes to Vegas or Carolina. What hurts Vegas (and Colorado, for that matter) is that they have to face Colorado and (I believe) a desperate and injury-recovering St. Louis group a few more times. It helps Carolina a lot that they don't have any games left against Tampa or Florida (who the Canes have dominated, but still, they're a good team). So IMO, the President's Trophy very slightly tilts in Carolina's favor as long as they can get over the weird Detroit curse.

Reactions: Tryamw

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think almost as interesting is what the bottom dwellers are doing.

If I remember correctly, early on Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, and New Jersey were supposed to be everyone's picks for last place. (I don't recall who in the West.)

Buffalo and New Jersey are still there, which isn't surprising, as they are in the toughest division, with five teams who could still end up in first. Even at that, Buffalo is 4-5-1 in their last ten.

But Ottawa and Detroit have really disappointed: Ottawa is 26th overall, Detroit is 24th, and neither is even in the bottom of their own division, although Vancouver has games in hand.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I think almost as interesting is what the bottom dwellers are doing.

If I remember correctly, early on Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, and New Jersey were supposed to be everyone's picks for last place. (I don't recall who in the West.)

Buffalo and New Jersey are still there, which isn't surprising, as they are in the toughest division, with five teams who could still end up in first. Even at that, Buffalo is 4-5-1 in their last ten.

But Ottawa and Detroit have really disappointed: Ottawa is 26th overall, Detroit is 24th, and neither is even in the bottom of their own division, although Vancouver has games in hand.

I'll make a similar thread about "Race for the 31st overall", thanks for the idea :)

Race for the 31st overall

Last edited:

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Crosby-Malkin era Pens have never won the President's Trophy, and based on the way team played last night, it will stay that way.

Reactions: Le Champion

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Updated after Tuesday's games. Boston, Pittsburgh and Florida (due to RW-tiebreaker) are out.

Washington and Minnesota have a do-or-die tonight.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
At this point Carolina controls their fate. Win out and #1 seed is theirs.

Vegas and Colorado are the closest competition but they also play each other once to finish the season so someone is losing at least a point there.

WAS, MIN, TOR are extreme long shots at this point. TB has a shot but very slim as well.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
After last nights games Vegas, Tampa and Washington stay in it. Colorado takes a slight dip and Minnesota is basically done. I think technically they may have a chance but it’s fairly bleak. Leafs play tonight and a regulation loss would eliminate them from contention. Carolina plays Chicago as well so a win would eliminate WAS and TOR and an OT/SL point would eliminate MIN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->