Race for the 2021 Presidents' Trophy

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Updated after Wednesday. Colorado running away, but with Grubauer out and tons of road games upcoming, it is not as clear situation as you'd think.

The reason I keep still Penguins and Panthers in is that I want to have a clear cut-off point in the standings. If I drop Penguins off, I need to drop Panthers off (Penguins is two points behind with a game in hand, so you can argue easily it is pretty much tied) and if I drop them off, then I need to artificially make up some "only a couple of 58-point teams are in the hunt" and if I drop Hurricanes-Lightning-Islanders trio out, we have the same argument of "Well Hurricanes is only two points behind Maple Leafs with two games in hand, isn't Carolina at least tied with Toronto?" and if I drop out both of them, obviously Washington is out too and is someone here seriously saying it is a battle between Colorado and Vegas and that's it?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Gru was going to be getting some significant time off down the stretch anyway. His positive test might cost us the presidents trophy but hopefully he’ll be fresh for the playoffs.

I’m more concerned that the team hasn’t played particularly well the last two games. They still found ways to win, which is great. But a slump is coming if they don’t start playing better and it’s not a great time for a slump.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

needforspeed

Mar 20, 2021
Pens have 4 games against BUF and 3 against NJ, wouldn't shock me to see them steal it.

Pens have light schedule and they could really well take the East but President is a bit far-fethced i think. Even if they go e.g. 10-2-2 rest of the season it would need Avs only 6-5-2 to be still ahead (more regular wins).

Tampa, Carolina and Florida are taking away points from each others it seems. Avs front-runner now and biggest threaths Vegas (2 games left against the Avs) and Leafs (being most dominant compared to rivals in own division)

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Pretty crazy that the Crosby-Malkin era Penguins have never won the President's Trophy. Not like their fans are complaining.

Only 3 Division titles. Probably a combination of injuries to Crosby/Malkin and playing with the regular season juggernaut Caps.

Agreed though anybody would trade for their postseason success over that span. Ignoring the last 3 years they seem to know how to flip the switch better than anybody.

Reactions: dalewood12

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Updated after Thursday's games. Added Winnipeg there because tied in points with Pittsburgh and Minnesota with them having half of a season of games in hand. Realistically Winnipeg's max points of -9 compared to Colorado is way too much, Minnesota's -7 needs only a small miracle.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Updated after Saturday's games. I raised the cut-off limit to 60, because I was able to justify leaving the ones below it out. So Minnesota, Winnipeg, NY Islanders and Pittsburgh are out for now, but if they play well enough (I understand Wild is in a three win streak), they'll get added back soon.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
That's one way of looking at it.

Another way would be to see it as even more meaningful, because you did it in a year where your team was playing literally like every other night in grueling, playoff like conditions against the same teams over and over oh god not them again AAAAAAA

It's more because you are only playing 7 teams all season. Intra-division only is NOT representative enough for any award to be honest. Too small of a sample size. JMHO

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Pens have 4 games against BUF and 3 against NJ, wouldn't shock me to see them steal it.
It’s very hard to win that many games against the same team, even awful teams.

I have no doubt the Pens will come out of that with a favorable record, but don’t be surprised if they lose at least 2 of those outright. We’re at the point where teams like NJD and BUF have guys playing for jobs right now. Compound that desperation with the idea that for teams like BUF their roster/staff is practically completely different meanwhile their scouting departments have been able to analyze a seasons worth of Pitt game tape.

All I’m saying is when you begin to play bad teams late in the season stocked with AHL players it can get precarious, some of these guys see this as their only shot at staying in the league. Bad teams with no real core are absolute wild cards in late season scenarios. If NJD and BUF had a bunch of underperforming veterans that have long contracts I’d feel better about the chances of them mailing the rest of the season in. But now you’re playing guys who know that next fall this is a pretty wide open roster and they’ve got an 11 game opportunity to earn a good hard look.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Updated after Monday games. Again, I didn't find a smarter cut-off point, so had to add Edmonton. In reality they have no chance.

Why not just list the top 8 (as determined by point %)? It's not completely unrealistic that a team below that could go on a hot streak and pass slumping teams above them. But it's extremely unlikely that a team below 8 would jump all 8 of the teams above them in order to win the President's Trophy. And if a team currently below 8 does go on a hot streak, they'll show up in updated versions of your list.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Why not just list the top 8 (as determined by point %)? It's not completely unrealistic that a team below that could go on a hot streak and pass slumping teams above them. But it's extremely unlikely that a team below 8 would jump all 8 of the teams above them in order to win the President's Trophy. And if a team currently below 8 does go on a hot streak, they'll show up in updated versions of your list.

They'll drop off anyway soon enough.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
This 56 game season is making for a very tight race. I think Colorado has a very good chance based off their remaining schedule. Wouldn't mind seeing Carolina win it though.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
This 56 game season is making for a very tight race. I think Colorado has a very good chance based off their remaining schedule. Wouldn't mind seeing Carolina win it though.

I'm ready for the four way tie for 1st in the East.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->