Raanta injured again, likely out for the season

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A bunch of brutal long term injuries for the Coyotes. Dvorak, Demers and now Raanta.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
As a hockey fan - sorry to hear I am big fan of Raanta

As an Oilers fan competing with ARZ ...

Reactions: ujju2

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I know the backup and starter jobs are miles apart in terms of pressure and stamina, but Adin HIll is sitting at .939 or .940 or thereabouts. He's been good. As a team, their goals against are reasonable - lowest in the league, in fact. It's their goals for numbers that are unacceptable (29th).

I don't love the Coyotes' chances of making the playoffs, but it's not just goaltending that has them in that spot. If they crater now, that's just an easy crutch, it seems to me.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
As a arizona resident and a yotes fan, no its not.

Sure looks like you're a Caps fan...? Also the building is awesome in the playoffs

I know the backup and starter jobs are miles apart in terms of pressure and stamina, but Adin HIll is sitting at .939 or .940 or thereabouts. He's been good. As a team, their goals against are reasonable - lowest in the league, in fact. It's their goals for numbers that are unacceptable (29th).

I don't love the Coyotes' chances of making the playoffs, but it's not just goaltending that has them in that spot. If they crater now, that's just an easy crutch, it seems to me.

We are also missing two top 6 forwards Hinostroza and Grabner, the latter our best pentaly killer. Both out weeks to a month. Raanta done for the year. One of our top 4 defensemen out for the season (Demers) and our best 2-way center (Dvorak) out for the season. Kuemper, our back up, has also been injured for the last 2 weeks.

Moral of the story: Arizona is trying kill you.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Arizona org can only save themselves at this point with a $15 M dollar offer sheet to Auston Matthews. That move has a chance to turn the franchise around and they could actually start making some profit. Sure it's a high number, but no other team in the League would benefit as much as them by having a home town grown superstar.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Ugh that sucks. I guess it's a bit of a blessing for the Oilers, but you never want to see guys go down with injuries, especially starting goalies for the whole season. I saw this Hill guy has pretty good stats this season though? I haven't seen him play, so Coyotes fans, do you think he'll work out long term?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry Yotes fans, you have my sympathy.

This means you're probably gonna get at least one more start of the year with Beldar and Beldar behind the bench, since Raanta was making them look better than they really were.

Beldar and Beldar being the two f***in bald coneheads behind the bench in Rick Tocchet and John ''Worst coach in the history of hockey'' MacLean.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Sorry Yotes fans, you have my sympathy.

This means you're probably gonna get at least one more start of the year with Beldar and Beldar behind the bench, since Raanta was making them look better than they really were.

Beldar and Beldar being the two ****in bald coneheads behind the bench in Rick Tocchet and John ''Worst coach in the history of hockey'' MacLean.
I don't mind Tocchet for one more year. But MacLean needs to be let go.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Agreed. Assuming he is gone for the year that makes their #1 goalie, #2 C (Dvorak) and #first pairing RHD (Demers) with season ending injuries. On a team with so little depth that is just a season killer.

Holy cow, I forgot about Dvorak. That's just beyond brutal.

Arizona has been trying to be competitive for a long time now, and just keep getting knocked down. It's crazy, but noting ever works out for that team. I still give a lot of credit to Chayka, he is doing a lot with a little.

Maybe Kuemper can handle the load for the rest of the year. That's why they got him, to be Raanta insurance. Last season when Rants was out the season was over after 10 games. But maybe they can tread water. But it's gonna be hard to land a playoff spot now. 7 points out with 4 games in hand on Vegas.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Arizona has had enough Top 5 picks in their short run in Arizona as is, they don't need anymore.
They’ve had three of them and they’ve been in Arizona nearly a quarter of a century. I’m a 33 year old account executive with a wife and two children. My oldest is four. When the Coyotes came to town I was nine years old. Auston Matthews wasn’t even born.

As for the three:

Blake Wheeler used a grandfathered loophole from a previous CBA to become a free agent before ever signing with the team. He accepted a smaller ELC with Boston rather than signing with Arizona for more money. They got the 35th overall pick as compensation and used it to get Viktor Tikhonov who never developed.

Kyle Turris held out coming off of his ELC. His agent publicly admitted that it wasn’t about money and Turris just wanted out. The Arizona GM vowed not to trade him until he was signed. Turris eventually did sign and play for a few games. He played intentionally poorly and tried to sabotage the team in games. They had to trade him immediately. They got David Rundblad who was an eventual bust and a 2nd round pick later traded for Antoine Vermette.

Then there’s Dylan Strome. TBD.

The Coyotes have made it out of the first round of the playoffs just one time in that span. They’ve been a bad team most of the time they’ve been in Phoenix and it’s largely because they don’t get high draft picks and they’ve usually failed when picking 5-15. Bad draft luck, bad drafting, and poor choices for 20+ years.

member 157595

Arizona org can only save themselves at this point with a $15 M dollar offer sheet to Auston Matthews. That move has a chance to turn the franchise around and they could actually start making some profit. Sure it's a high number, but no other team in the League would benefit as much as them by having a home town grown superstar.

You know what would help save the Coyotes? Wins. Wins and ownership that gives a shit.
You know what would f*** the Coyotes? Paying $15 million per season for any one player in a sport where one player cannot alone save a team.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
They’ve had three of them and they’ve been in Arizona nearly a quarter of a century. I’m a 33 year old account executive with a wife and two children. My oldest is four. When the Coyotes came to town I was nine years old. Auston Matthews wasn’t even born.

As for the three:

Blake Wheeler used a grandfathered loophole from a previous CBA to become a free agent before ever signing with the team. He accepted a smaller ELC with Boston rather than signing with Arizona for more money. They got the 35th overall pick as compensation and used it to get Viktor Tikhonov who never developed.

Kyle Turris held out coming off of his ELC. His agent publicly admitted that it wasn’t about money and Turris just wanted out. The Arizona GM vowed not to trade him until he was signed. Turris eventually did sign and play for a few games. He played intentionally poorly and tried to sabotage the team in games. They had to trade him immediately. They got David Rundblad who was an eventual bust and a 2nd round pick later traded for Antoine Vermette.

Then there’s Dylan Strome. TBD.

The Coyotes have made it out of the first round of the playoffs just one time in that span. They’ve been a bad team most of the time they’ve been in Phoenix and it’s largely because they don’t get high draft picks and they’ve usually failed when picking 5-15. Bad draft luck, bad drafting, and poor choices for 20+ years.

you forgot about OEL :D

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Arizona org can only save themselves at this point with a $15 M dollar offer sheet to Auston Matthews.
1. They don't have 15million over 8 years to pay him.

2. Toronto would match .

3. It's a piss poor idea to rely on one guy to turn a franchise around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad