World Cup: R16: Sweden vs. Switzerland, 7/3/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Well, this is what you get from teams like Denmark/ Sweden/ Iceland. A granite defense, but not much creativity offensively.

Sweden isn't good with a ball, but they know how to not allow goals.

You play with your strength, specially in a game like Soccer, everything else is just stupitity.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBeast and King 88

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Just keep on underestimate us. We're fine with that. People do not understand what teamplay is. To fight for each other. Go to war for each other. That's what this team bring in every f***ing game and i love it!

Keep them coming.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
did you saw neymar last game? like 10x worse than any swede
I did. I mentioned that many times. Sweden isn't that bad. But still bad enough. That one flop near the box was disgusting today, lol.

I understand running at high speeds that a shove can knock you off balance, especially when tired. But the really dramatic ones just don't sit well with me. There were 3 or 4 today where there was little contact or no contact at all.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Both teams were very average offensively, the only ones with any semblance of quality were Forsberg and Shaqiri (who didn't play particularly well, though) and later the sub Embolo. But the Swiss tactics were very weird until they went down a goal. What they were hoping to achieve with that slow passing, no penetration and leaving the playmaking to their CB's who are poor at it. And aimlessly throwing high balls toward Swedish central defence, which is Sweden's strongest area.

Congrats for Sweden for their win, and understanding that they don't have the players to play more attractive football, but this team is a far cry from their 1994 team, for example. This Sweden must be one of the worst quarter finalists in the history of the World Cup.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Switzerland has been the textbook definition of a boring defensive side for years.
Switzerland is super boring and has no creativity at all. Both teams are not worthy of being part of the last 16.

If your offence is made up of players like Seferovic, Drmic, Embolo and Dzemaili you are f***ed. If then the midfield sucks too and has no idea whatsoever, then your definitively doomed.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
Quite a boring game from a performance standpoint. Good tactical win.
I'm very happy we managed to beat a team with a similar lack in true quality and who might to try outdefending us.

Tactically I'm less worried about England or Colombia. They are better teams obviously but we won't get lured into playing their game I don't think.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm on your side, basically. I never watch football outside of the world cup. And this will probably be my last. Football has become incredibly boring and the systematic diving and faking injuries is just too much.
And I watch a ton and it still bugs me. I feel like the English Leagues don't see as much flopping. They still sell injuries and sometimes it's just exhaustion, but flopping ridiculously is at a minimum.

German league doesn't seem too bad from what little I watch. Italian league is unwatchable for me. Spanish league is hit or miss. French league I need to watch more of. I'll have to check if it's on DAZN.

I also watch a lot of the Canadian National Team and again, diving is not common.

I'm the kind of fan who would rather my Wolves finish 10th then finish 1st while having Neymar on the team.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Lol at all the salt, by all means, keep it coming, let it pour!
No one is salty about them winning. I've always liked Sweden. I'm salty about the diving. Would have the same reaction if this was Canada or Wolves.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Switzerland ****ed this up really badly. Sweden is utter trash but if you don't score against such a team you deserve to go home.

Its weird every team plays trash against Sweden.... soon you could suspect Sweden make every team play trash, but lets dont get there….

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
If Greece could win the Euros playing in my opinion an even more defensive style, basically only waiting for freekicks so can we. Sweden at least counters somewhat effectively even though they lack finish they have enough chances during the game to score goals.

Now if Sweden ever falls behind in a game, it's game over I think.

Reactions: JBeast

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Sweden apparently have a pretty good team. Many of these players won the U21 gold a few years ago.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Sweden never achieved anything like that with Zlatan.

That must sting him now

Inter winning the triple after he left and Barca winning the double after he left probably stung too.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly think we should've won with more. This was the typical game where one team had the ball and the other had the chances. I'm not saying Switzerland had no chances, but very few high percentage ones. Our counter is good enough to relief our defensive players for stretches, which is why we can do it. It would be simplified to say we only defend.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I honestly think we should've won with more. This was the typical game where one team had the ball and the other had the chances. I'm not saying Switzerland had no chances, but very few high percentage ones. Our counter is good enough to relief our defensive players for stretches, which is why we can do it. It would be simplified to say we only defend.
Switzerland had plenty of chances. Better than most of the Sweden chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->