Euro: R16: Germany vs. Slovakia, 6/26/2016

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I like this Draxler kid, like how he attacks the box.

Great finish.
He has a nose for the penalty box that Ozil and Gotze don't have. Muller is all over the place recently, but in theory Muller and Drax on the wings should be deadly.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Let's just say that Goetze wouldn't have set up that goal nor would he have been in position to score it if he was playing.

Also, that Slovakian RB was weak against England as well but they played Bertrand who didn't expose him at all.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Gomez playing for Besiktas of all teams is a good example of how players who only score should have a more prominent role in the game. You have to score!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You were saying?

Gomez is a better finisher than Benz and clearly superior to any other French striker. Oh and he's not a blackmailing criminal.

:sarcasm:

Seems that went over your head. I was refering to him finishing half a chance anytime he does it.
That was a compliment. :help:

And yes, he's a better finisher than Benzema. He's a better finisher than most strikers anyway.

However, he's a VASTLY inferior player to Benzema, so I'm not sure what your point is.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
My grandfather asks me about the 2-0; I say Draxler made a beautiful move from the left byline and sent the ball in wonderfully for Gomez to knock in from inside the goalie box; his response: "so it was a gomez goal".

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Gomez playing for Besiktas of all teams is a good example of how players who only score should have a more prominent role in the game. You have to score!

Well you have to make sure you use a pure scorer like Gomez right. He has a great shot with both his feet and a dangerous header too but if you need your Striker to make plays as well Gomez is a poor choice .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well you have to make sure you use a pure scorer like Gomez right. He has a great shot with both his feet and a dangerous header as but if you need him your Striker to make plays as well Gomez is a poor choice .

Of course. But so many good teams without good finishing and poachers like that winding up in Turkey you have to wonder if their priorities are right.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I think Germany has found the right recipe with Kimmich as RB, Gomez up front and Draxler LW. If they continue to play like this I don't see any team threatening them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think Germany has found the right recipe with Kimmich as RB, Gomez up front and Draxler LW. If they continue to play like this I don't see any team threatening them.

I can see how. Slovakia was able to break their press a few times with a simple combination straight down their right hand side or starting from the right to a medium distance ball out to the left hand side. Of course Slovakia doesn't have the pace or quality to break forward in numbers, but another team may. When Germany goes to press in packs, patience can make a difference.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Seems that went over your head. I was refering to him finishing half a chance anytime he does it.

And yes, he's a better finisher than Benzema. He's a better finisher than most strikers anyway.

However, he's a VASTLY inferior player to Benzema, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Gomez is a flipper. Outdated brand of a striker. Thanks we have him here, though. Players that limited technically won't become pro in the years to come.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Gomez is a flipper. Outdated brand of a striker. Thanks we have him here, though. Players that limited technically won't become pro in the years to come.
Unfortunately. They have their place in the game, even if plenty of fans/coaches underrate them.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

I think Benzema won't have a chance to demonstrate this alleged superiority from prison, so your point is moot. ;)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Germany can absolutely not leave the midfield open like that against Spain. Way too easy to spin and gain tons of space.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
My grandfather asks me about the 2-0; I say Draxler made a beautiful move from the left byline and sent the ball in wonderfully for Gomez to knock in from inside the goalie box; his response: "so it was a gomez goal".

He had to be there to make it a goal. It's easily forgotten that there's a skill in that. There's no way Gotze is there to make that a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad