World Cup: R16: France vs. Argentina. 6/30/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
France turned on the style...Fazio ...I never thought he would get time..thought they would go with Masch on D if needed and Biglia in front. Fazio needs lots of help around him and the Argentine back line was not good enough.

Entertaining though and a great start to the round of 16.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Lalas saying Messi was out coached multiple times now. Such a moron.

Well, he did score a great goal with his chocolate foot against Nigeria. He HAS to score goals against big teams in crunch time. But apparently he hasn’t scored a single knockout stage goal for Argentina at FIFA world cups.

If that's what you think after he created two goals in this match I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Brodie562

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I think France will have a harder time against Portugal or Uruguay mainly because both those teams have a half decent D. Clearly Argentina D lost the game for them. They scored 3 after all.
Portugal in extra time.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Lalas saying Messi was out coached multiple times now. Such a moron.

If that's what you think after he created two goals in this match I don't know what to tell you.
This what I think after he didn’t score a single knockout stage goal in four(!) world cups.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I honestly feel like Argentina would done better without Messi. Other players had to make too much adjustments to play his small ball game & it took them out of their own game.

Which ones would that be then?
Mercado at RB? Mascherano and Enzo Perez bossing it in the midfield? Mighty Pavon storming down the wing?

Please. Like I said after the Croatia match, this Argentina squad is filled with mediocre players (or players past their prime) at literally every position except the forwards.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Which ones would that be then?
Mercado at RB? Mascherano and Enzo Perez bossing it in the midfield? Mighty Pavon storming down the wing?

Please. Like I said after the Croatia match, this Argentina squad is filled with mediocre players (or players past their prime) at literally every position except the forwards.

Di Maria & Mascherano are solid players. It would be interesting to see what they can do with Dybala & Higuain without Messi.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If you can't keep the Ronaldo vs. Messi stuff where it belongs, inevitably the people arguing about it won't be able to post in any of these threads. That's a warning to everyone.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This what I think after he didn’t score a single knockout stage goal in four(!) world cups.

Congratulations. You might want to look up what playmaking means. You also might want to look into his first World Cup where he didn't play much.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Congratulations. You might want to look up what playmaking means. You also might want to look into his first World Cup where he didn't play much.
So Messi is all of a sudden just a playmaker and not a scorer as well? How convenient. You might also want to look up videos of the WC 1986 and see for yourself how a true leader leads his team to the ultimate victory.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I still can't believe Argentina lost a game where they scored three, two from plugs, and none from Messi and still lost.

I can.

Not one of their goals demonstrated a properly-functioning team.

And because they weren't a properly functioning team, in order to pose a threat they were drawn into a shootout that played into France's hands.

Had Argentina scored four, I'd have expected them to concede a fifth. As someone mentioned earlier (apologies for forgetting who), they were never in control of themselves, much less the game. Their utter lack of solidity while they held their brief lead summed them up.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So Messi is all of a sudden just a playmaker and not a scorer as well? How convenient. You might also want to look up videos of the WC 1986 and see for yourself how a true leader leads his team to the ultimate victory.

LOL. I never said that. You're the one equating goals to success.

You may want to actually watch Argentina play. They wouldn't have been in this match much less the last WC Final without him.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017

Different time....different circumstances...different teams...

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Di Maria & Mascherano are solid players. It would be interesting to see what they can do with Dybala & Higuain without Messi.
Did you watch any of the games where Di Maria and Mascherano were of more benefit to the opposition than Argentina?

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

Maybe skip the 1986 final, where Maradona didn't score but created goals for others.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
LOL. I never said that. You're the one equating goals to success.

You may want to actually watch Argentina play. They wouldn't have been in this match much less the last WC Final without him.
You are just a Messi homer. Admit it. Messi can't do wrong in your opinion. I hate to break it to you, pal, but Messi, albeit one of the most talented soccer players ever, has charisma of an amoeba and doesn't rise to the occasion, and that's why he has ZERO World Cup trophies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You are just a Messi homer. Admit it. Messi can't do wrong in your opinion. I hate to break it to you, pal, but Messi, albeit one of the most talented soccer players ever, has charisma of an amoeba and doesn't rise to the occasion, and that's why he has ZERO World Cup trophies.

First wrong. Second take it in the right thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad