World Cup: R16: France vs. Argentina. 6/30/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If you told me France beats Argentina 4-0... I would say yeah, that makes sense. As does a 1-0 win for either team.

I say this game could be had. France have DD but Argentina are inept. France also is worlds better on paper.

@Evilo's tears or mine. Either way HF rejoices.
Not really for me.
No offense (pun intended), but if France can't beat *that* Argentinian team, they have no business claiming to win the WC.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In 78, Argentina managed to beat France on a scandalous penalty. Tresor touched the ball with his arm (not on purpose at all), and the ref didn't call a penalty.
Under the pressure of crazy Argentine players and a mad stadium, he simply chose to change his mind many seconds after the fact. One of the most scandalous ref decision ever.
Why is everything that is against France somehow scandalous from you? Just face it, France has had some low lows' and they've had some high highs'. They're a good nation that needs a lot of help from immigrates to be better. At least Argentina is filled with a ton of homegrown players...hell even Denmark is.

Reactions: ehhedler

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

After the first game, Messi was given a good luck charm by a reporter and he actually wore it in his boots. Bear in mind how badly reporters have treated their team and that he could have done practically anything else with his time. I'm genuinely stunned by that.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I saw. Argentina still dominated possession completely and had their goalkeeper play like a complete moron.

People need to stop getting hung up on possession. It does not necessarily mean scoring chances or goals.
Tossing the ball around the CBs and the goalkeeper does not mean you dominate the game in any way. Caballero had more touches in the first half than Messi and Aguro combined.

Croatia doesn't play possession football, it makes no sense with the forwards they have.
They play high pressure, quick pass football, with people running into empty pockets of space, Modric opening up passing lanes and Rakitic and him switching side when needed. Noone takes people on (except sometimes Modric),
The three forwards (Mandzukic, Rebic, Perisic) can run for hours - Dalic recognizes that and uses them properly.
The three are technically limited, with very limited vision and sometimes suspect decision making. But tactically, all three are fantastic, cover a LOT of ground, and they force constant turnovers or the opposition to just punt the ball forward.

Either way, saying a team that plays high pressure (naturally not for 90 minutes) has "parked the bus" couldn't be further away from the truth.
They literally played high pressure even up 1-0 and 2-0.

Croatia may win games, or lose games - but it sure as s**t isn't by parking the bus.

My point is, Argentina HAVE played a team that does not park the bus, and failed miserably at it.
Having watched the Nigeria game, they looked slightly better, but against inferior opposition.

I don't see Argentina's midfield holding up to France, and if France don't win this game it will be on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen and ehhedler

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
It’s simply ok for Argentina to bow out here and not get completely killed back home in the press and by the fans. If Argentina win, France can blame Messi. Arguably one of the greatest players of all time. I want both sides to go for it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
First time Argentina is playing against a team that won't park the bus either, it should be said.

Both teams have terrible managers who don't know how to get the team to play great football, France has more individual talent, they should win. But if it's a tight game, a 0-0 game in the 80th minute, they don't have a Messi. I intend to bet on France, but I wouldn't be surprised by anything here.

tenor.gif

PS

I guess Liverpool under Rafa also parked the bus all the time.

Reactions: ehhedler

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Well France is one of the three favorites, if they do not win against the poorest Argentine team of all time ....

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Why is everything that is against France somehow scandalous from you? Just face it, France has had some low lows' and they've had some high highs'. They're a good nation that needs a lot of help from immigrates to be better. At least Argentina is filled with a ton of homegrown players...hell even Denmark is.

Ahhhahahhahahahhaha... haaaahahaha.. ooo. . . aaaaaahahahaha....oh, by the way, take your racist bullshit somewhere else

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Awful post from start to bottom.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Argentina may not have played a perfect game vs Nigeria, but at least they played with a lot of passion compared to the first 2 games.

The bad news is, I don't think this team can play better than they had vs Nigeria, while France has yet to show their true potential. Argentina has a chance if they play with passion and France play the same way they've played in the first round.

Now that it's evident Dyabala and Lo Celso won't be playing, the only change I'd like to see from the starting lineup in the last game is Pavon for Perez.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
That term is used so loosely around here that I don't think people know what it means anymore...

Oh, then I'm happy to explain it to you. It means you consider black (probably also Arab?) French players to somehow not be homegrown, despite being born and raised there, while Argentinean players that are descended from immigrants each and every one of them are measured completely differently because they are "white".

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh, then I'm happy to explain it to you. It means you consider black (probably also Arab?) French players to somehow not be homegrown, despite being born and raised there, while Argentinean players that are descended from immigrants each and every one of them are measured completely differently because they are "white".
So that means you support colonization then? Sorry, but that's a bit more racist than whatever I said in my post.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not really for me.
No offense (pun intended), but if France can't beat *that* Argentinian team, they have no business claiming to win the WC.

Oh, I don't expect and never expected an Argentina to win the cup and that's the mentality I had against Nigeria but I still will be devastated when they lose. It hurts regardless of expectations.

See Germany 2014.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I have a hard time gauging this one because France didn't exactly have a tough group nor did they impress me much with their 7 points but looks can be deceiving, and Argentina are they peaking or do they have more to give?

Certainly one of the most intriguing round of 16 matches.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh, I don't expect and never expected an Argentina to win the cup and that's the mentality I had against Nigeria but I still will be devastated when they lose. It hurts regardless of expectations.

See Germany 2014.
I know I won't be too disappointed. Of course, the fan part in me, but they are the best team in the tournament on paper. They however have played bad football.
I don't, contrary to others here, blame DD for all this crap. He has his part, but the players on the field, as well as the system, are good enough to blow out Australia, Peru and maybe Denmark too.
Yet they sucked.

If they suck their next game, so be it. DD will be gone (he's gone if we don't get to the SF per FFF statements) and the new generation will blossom under a different coach.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The difference is also that for Argentina it's win now with Messi aging. That french team is awfully young. They'll win one or two WC/EC under a good coach with the players they have. This one might be too soon though.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I want France to win but I also would love a Messi vs Ronaldo quarter final match.... the options.....

Suarez vs Messi
Messi vs Ronaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad