Euro: R16: England v Germany, 6/29/2021

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Must feel strange when put that way. Yeah, that's a bit of history gone. I didn't even make me aware that he's the last.

Strange is a good word for it :laugh:

Unlike some who do still have childhood/youthful memories of the DDR & have faced tough times recently, I have no perverse nostalgia for it...but it is strange to think about & Toni was always meaningful to me because of that connection.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The thing I'll always remember about Toni Kroos is that a youth coach of a BuLi team once (like 10 years ago) told me that as a youth prospect Kroos looked really unimpressive due to his lack of athleticism.

Reactions: cgf

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Strange is a good word for it :laugh:

Unlike some who do still have childhood/youthful memories of the DDR & have faced tough times recently, I have no perverse nostalgia for it...but it is strange to think about & Toni was always meaningful to me because of that connection.
I still have nostalgic memories of it. In a school exchange, I travelled to Dessau (then not yet Dessau-Roßlau) early in 1990 and had 50 DM with me. I stayed there for a week and still came back with money. ;)
Met a lot of nice people there. Good times. The best was Anarchisten Frühstück in the Bauhaus Cafe. An ultra strong coffee and a Karo cigarette.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The thing I'll always remember about Toni Kroos is that a youth coach of a BuLi team once (like 10 years ago) told me that as a youth prospect Kroos looked really unimpressive due to his lack of athleticism.

Yeah, it's funny to think about how common that refrain was before Toni broke through for Leverkusen. It's shocking how disappointed some folks were that he couldn't run like Sammer, Ballack, or Lodar.
I still have nostalgic memories of it. In a school exchange, I travelled to Dessau (then not yet Dessau-Roßlau) early in 1990 and had 50 DM with me. I stayed there for a week and still came back with money. ;)
Met a lot of nice people there. Good times. The best was Anarchisten Frühstück in the Bauhaus Cafe. An ultra strong coffee and a Karo cigarette.

Growing up in the shadows of the DDR, I did appreciate the feeling of community that sprouted as a result of people feeling like 'we may be f***ed, but at least we're all f***ed together'...but even with us still lagging behind the rest of the country & the tension that has given rise too, I can't say I have any yearning for the days of the DDR to return :laugh:

Reactions: Eisen

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I could write half a book about my experiences in the DDR and the Neue Länder in the 90s (perhaps not a very good one though). But I can say that over the years I found that everyone who had some experience of life behind the Iron Curtain shares a link. I found that in some ways I could more easily relate to Poles, Czechs, Hungarians etc. than someone from Stuttgart.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I could write half a book about my experiences in the DDR and the Neue Länder in the 90s (perhaps not a very good one though). But I can say that over the years I found that everyone who had some experience of life behind the Iron Curtain shares a link. I found that in some ways I could more easily relate to Poles, Czechs, Hungarians etc. than someone from Stuttgart.

I think a big part of that is the inherited trauma of living under true oppression/in a genuine police state. As I've noticed some odd cultural parallels amongst east-germans, russians, and black-americans, which aren't shared by white-americans or west-germans. And though the disparate cultural roots cause those parallels to manifest in different ways, the shared experiences that they reflect making it easier to feel a connection, just makes sense to me.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, it's funny to think about how common that refrain was before Toni broke through for Leverkusen. It's shocking how disappointed some folks were that he couldn't run like Sammer, Ballack, or Lodar.
Imagine how much better Kroos could've been if he could run :sarcasm:

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad