Euro: R16: Croatia vs. Portugal, 6/25/2016

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Extra time is so bad. Please make the appropriate subs to go for the win now.

Guerreiro the best Portugal player for me tonight.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
This tournament has cemented Messi ahead of Ronaldo quite easily. Ronaldo hasn't done **** in a weak tournament.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I said it the other day. Creative players are no longer wanted. They're simply not selected/played by coaches. They go for strong, fast powerful players.

Saying it's down to european not being good enough is simply not true. Plenty of creative players are european. But they are either not selected, on the bench or on the pitch but aren't given free reigns.

Rakitic with back to back awful free kicks.
It is IMO the worst game of the tournament so far. And there's a lot of competition for that title :facepalm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I'm only watching with half an eye, but agreed. He's really impressed me on that left wing; he should be absolutely beautiful opposite Passlack for you in the coming years. :naughty:

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I said it the other day. Creative players are no longer wanted. They're simply not selected/played by coaches. They go for strong, fast powerful players.

Saying it's down to european not being good enough is simply not true. Plenty of creative players are european. But they are either not selected, on the bench or on the pitch but aren't given free reigns.

It is IMO the worst game of the tournament so far. And there's a lot of competition for that title :facepalm:

I hardly ever agree with anything you say, but you're 100% right here.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

This is true to some degree. But that's the problem with one-game elimination tournaments. Coaches don't like to take risks.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

If you think Cacic is smart enough to tacticaly wait with subs, you're giving him way too much credit. He's done the same stuff in group stage.

And again a bad tackle and no yellow. It's starting to get comical.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Are you talking about international or club football? Cause I think all the teams came into this tourney with a very conservative mindset because of the third place qualifiers; but I don't think this is true at all of club football.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This tournament has cemented Messi ahead of Ronaldo quite easily. Ronaldo hasn't done **** in a weak tournament.

Come on...I'm far from a fan of Portugal but Ronaldo is on a freaking Island out there. Portugal is just a make up of average to bad players with no coherent system, so weak and lacking creativity at midfield...

As for the tournament, this is a textbook example of how much damage those Greece and Spain victories have done. I recently watched a few Euro 2000 games...and many of those games were epic! Lots of back-and-forth action and teams just going for the W instead of focusing on possession or defense.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Come on...I'm far from a fan of Portugal but Ronaldo is on a freaking Island out there. Portugal is just a make up of average to bad players with no coherent system, so weak and lacking creativity at midfield...

Hasn't stopped him from getting out played by his LB today. *shrug*

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
If you think Cacic is smart enough to tacticaly wait with subs, you're giving him way too much credit. He's done the same stuff in group stage.

They weren't held scoreless for so long in the group matches. Really wish we could see Kovacic and Modric on the field together for a whole match.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX

He stands around and complains for just about the whole match.

Also saying he has nobody when people are trying to claim he's the best tin the world is just dumb. If he was the best, then it wouldn't matter that he has no support (which he has plenty of)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Are you talking about international or club football? Cause I think all the teams came into this tourney with a very conservative mindset because of the third place qualifiers; but I don't think this is true at all of club football.

It's true for today's football, regardless of origin. Just look at the last CL. It was awful quality. The two finalists played either awful football or just play all-out defensive football.

When you see a guy like Ben Arfa blamed by DD for losing balls when he tries to dribble... :facepalm:

What coaches want nowadays is either a Messi/Ronaldo/Ibra (someone who scores 50 goals a year) or forwards that track back like crazy.

While it's IMO a big bonus to have someone who can also make defensive play (see Cavani for instance), forwards are here to creat danger and offense. This should come as first priority.

You can't use the 3rd place **** as an excuse. It's elimination time and teams are still playing 10 men defense.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
It's true for today's football, regardless of origin. Just look at the last CL. It was awful quality. The two finalists played either awful football or just play all-out defensive football.

When you see a guy like Ben Arfa blamed by DD for losing balls when he tries to dribble... :facepalm:

What coaches want nowadays is either a Messi/Ronaldo/Ibra (someone who scores 50 goals a year) or forwards that track back like crazy.

While it's IMO a big bonus to have someone who can also make defensive play (see Cavani for instance), forwards are here to creat danger and offense. This should come as first priority.

You can't use the 3rd place **** as an excuse. It's elimination time and teams are still playing 10 men defense.

I guess they see it as more honorable to lose in PK than being defeated in regulation.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

That's not true. Portugal isn't so bad on paper. Renato, Joao Mario, Guerreiro, Nani, Pepe, Carvahlo, W. Carvahlo, Andre Gomes... Those are well known and almost all quality players. Half of those guys are big transfer targets by the biggest teams in the world.
They don't play well together, they're clearly bad coached, but Ronaldo is HARDLY on a bad team.
Sweden is a bad team and you can argue Ibra was alone, but not Ronaldo.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Kalinic for Mandzukic finally.

Last CL was bad because Dortmund wasn't playing. ;)

I didn't think the CL was notably worse than usual. A few great matches, a lot of good matches, a lot of bad matches. The problem for me is all the more exciting teams were on the same side of the bracket. And Barca hit a slump at the wrong time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad