Euro: R16: Croatia vs. Portugal, 6/25/2016

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Oh, really? More shoots,bigger possession, more chances. Persic hit post one minute before goal.Vida few chances.

There were like 0 shots at goal during the whole regular time. Croatia carried the play, but that doesn't mean they were much better.
It really was a ****** game, I hoped Croatia advanced... but when both teams play like this... I just hope that they both get knocked out. Portugal surely deserves to be against Poland

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
There were like 0 shots at goal during the whole regular time. Croatia carried the play, but that doesn't mean they were much better.
It really was a ****** game, I hoped Croatia advanced... but when both teams play like this... I just hope that they both get knocked out. Portugal surely deserves to be against Poland
Me too. I have a couple of Portuguese colleagues. I wanted to trash talk them even more.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
correct.

It was like bth teams playing for a draw..:help:

In a knockout stage??..IMO these 2 teams disgraced the game with that performance..

They did, Croatia was cautious and didnt want to give Portugals midfield and attack too much space, and Portugal under the ****** fernando santos ALWAYS bunkers and suffocates play when playing against top teams. He sets Portugal up like a minnow/Greece...which is shameful considering the talent starting to become available being the best since 2000-2006.

0 shots on target until that span of one minute where when both teams opened up a little bit croatia hit the post and portugal sucker punched on the counter...which is what both teams were scared of.

Other than that three clear cut chances in the entire match, pepes header, vidas header, and then his last gasp shot at the end.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Can't wait for Cacic to get sacked around mid-2017 when Croatia is off to a slow start in qualifying only to hire somebody like Jurcic or Gracan to "save" the campaign, make the World Cup, beat some African/CONCACAF minnow, media says the team is semifinal quality then lose to a mid-level Euro/SA team...rinse and repeat cycle :popcorn:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Also why wasnt Halihovic (spl) called up for Croatia?

I remember that 2013 friendly when he made his debut and he definitely looked talented, and did well on loan from Barca this season.

I also thought Kovavcic could have come on at some point in the second half..Brozokovic was there to cover Srna's runs forward but with Portugal being so defensive they could hve used him imho.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
They did, Croatia was cautious and didnt want to give Portugals midfield and attack too much space, and Portugal under the ****** fernando santos ALWAYS bunkers and suffocates play when playing against top teams. He sets Portugal up like a minnow/Greece...which is shameful considering the talent starting to become available being the best since 2000-2006.

It's painful to watch but he's a results first manager and Portugal hasn't won anything playing the opposite way, so why not.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
No clue on Halilovic, some say attitude problems but some say he's already sold so no need to call him ahead of Pjaca for example

Now I'm wondering what happens with the HNS, to calm the fans down in France a member of the government promised action but yet I don't expect anything to happen :sarcasm:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Ronaldo and Santos have been telling his teammates and players stories about how Greece in the knockout stages won 1-0 in Euro 2004 after being in the ropes for most of the match and doing nothing.

They clearly believe that Portugal can do the same.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Croatia played some of the best football of the tournament but this was dreadful to watch today. Portugal played a bunker and Croatia did very little trying to break it down. Some of this falls on the coach who should have brought on Pjaca way earlier. Portugal was double teaming modric and Perisic almost all game. Pjaca would have totally opened up the right side. You also need some luck in tournaments. Perisic heads the ball off the post only to have Portugal come back to score on the counter. Those are the breaks.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Was wondering about Halilovic as well but he is super young. I was more surprised he didn't make the team, but not sure if he would have seen the field. They barely even played Kovacic.

That midfield is so stacked, which is why I was super surprised to not see them outclas Portugal's mids. What a tournament for Perisic, though.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Such a crap game.

Where was the movement and some up-tempo passing from Croatia? No where? When a backup center back has most of your chances, you're doing it wrong.

Portugal had only counter-attacks and set pieces. Really annoying that they went through.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Was wondering about Halilovic as well but he is super young. I was more surprised he didn't make the team, but not sure if he would have seen the field. They barely even played Kovacic.

That midfield is so stacked, which is why I was super surprised to not see them outclas Portugal's mids. What a tournament for Perisic, though.

Portugal mids were busy hacking Modric and Rakitic every chance they got. The foul difference was 28-12. Perisic was also double teamed so not bringing on Pjaca earlier was a big mistake by the coach.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Portugal mids were busy hacking Modric and Rakitic every chance they got. The foul difference was 28-12. Perisic was also double teamed so not bringing on Pjaca earlier was a big mistake by the coach.

This doesn't negate how awfully structured the Croatian build up was.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This doesn't negate how awfully structured the Croatian build up was.

Credit to Portugal. They shut down are main threat Perisic also tightly marked Rakitic and Srna. Our attack was to passive and the coach waited to long to make changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad