Euro: R16: Croatia vs. Portugal, 6/25/2016

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I like Croatia alot in this one.

I think they can get in Rinaldos head, and I believe that Portugal has a fragile ego.

Croatia has to be high as a kite beating spain.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
If Hungary can bury three past Portugual...

Croatian goalie should throw on some sweat pants for the game to get into Portugals head.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
A little unfortunate for Croatia but you can't expect easy games in the knockout stage. Croatia get an extra day rest if that will mean anything, Portugal only two days to recover

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Modric and Rakitic would walk into our midfeld, Mandzukic would be the striker we prayed for, and Perisic is better than Nani.

They play far better as a team compared to us, and are far more sound tactically and positionally compared to Hungary/Iceland/Austria. And Spain played full strength against them, while Croatia were the ones to rest some players.

Joao Moutinho, Eliseu, and Andre Gomes when not 100% CANNOT START. Especially with only two days of rest between games...we need fresh blood. ADRIEN was the best centre midfielder in Portugal this season alongside Joao Mario and Renato Sanches, and he needs to start now. He, William, and Joao Mario played together all season, use that to our advantage to solidify midfield with Adrien bringing stability to cover the back 4 and also powerfully push forward like he can. Which liberates Joao Mario to play his natural position and have Renato Sanches or Rafa as the fourth element.

Quaresma showed again that he's a perfect sparkplug off the bench against tired legs, and that should be his role. It suits him perfectly, he can come on at half or with 30/35 minutes to go to break through some tired defenders and be more creative.

In the end the group stage has been shocking, and going up against Croatia with Modric/Rakitic/Kovavic/Brozokovic in midfield will make us underdogs..playing the way we did today...it wont be pretty.

Croatia's defense can be got at but Ronaldo needs to be fit and we need to find the perfect balance in midfield, along with Raphael Gurreiro bombing down the left side.

Fonte needs to start otherwise Carvalho will be run into the ground. Too many games with too few days of rest.

Danilo or William Carvalho to start? Danilo is far more mobile being super quick and strong defensively, but William Carvalho has superb feet and passing range while being sluggish at times....I'm honestly at a loss here because when playing hungry William can do a job but playing like he did today where the back 4 was super exposed....Modric and Rakitic will eat him alive.

The important thing to consider is that we will only have two and a half days of rest...2.5 ********ing days.

We need fresh legs, and we need a midfield that can begin to snuff out time and space for Croatia's area of strength.

-----------------------------Patricio------------------------------
-------------Pepe-------------------------Fonte----------------
Cedric----------------------------------------------Raphael Gurreiro (Pray he's fit)
-------------------Danilo/William---------------------------------
---------Joao Mario----------------Adrien-----------------------
---------------------Rafa/Sanches---------------------------------
-----------Nani-------------------Ronado------------------------------

Can go for 4-3-3 at times in attack, and if it's Sanches starting he plays further back and Joao Mario pushes forward.

If I see Eliseu, Vieirinha, Moutinho, Andre Gomes(when injured) in our starting XI I might just implode.

Raphael Gurreiro must recover, and Ronaldo needs to be fully fit. Ricardo Carvalho was amazing the first two matches but needs rest, plus against the physical beasts of Croatia will require Fonte from Southampton

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
someone pls explain to me again why eduardo is not on this team?

anyways, i have always had a soft spot for the croats

and darijo srna, although old as dirt, has always been one of my favorite players

as someone who has played keeper at various levels for 25 years, he could be my right back any day :)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This definitely has the potential to be the most exciting match of the 16

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Please Croatia, do me a favour and finish this Ronaldo guy.
I have nothing against Portugal or any of their players, but I can't stand this clown.
Thanks in advance.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Carlos Velasco Carballo will be the ref. According to Mateo Beusan who's the reffing expert he is the worst ref at the Euros. He made six glaring mistakes during the two games he reffed thus far. Out of seven touchy situations, he got one right.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Portugal winless after 3 games, that's a pretty big letdown. Can't see them surviving Croatia

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
someone pls explain to me again why eduardo is not on this team?

Stipe Pletikosa, Ognjen Vukojević and Eduardo da Silva retired from the national team after 2014 WC.

For Eduardo it was the right time and place to end his European career. He moved back to Brazil in that summer and played Brazilian league. He's now back in Ukraine, but there is no need to revoke his NT retirement. With Manđukic, Kalinić and Kramarić se bave enough forward options.

Last edited:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Sucks that these two have to play each other, it basically means we're losing one of the very few teams in this tournament who are capable of playing entertaining football. For all their ineptness in front of goal, Portugal at least have positive intent in their game.

On the other hand I absolutely LOATHE this hoofing it downfield 'put in on me head!' garbage from the likes of Ireland.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Expecting a let down like in 2008 after winning the group, however the team should be more focused against Portugal than they would if they were playing Iceland/Hungary. Of all the knockout phase games this this one could be a goalfest, neither team defends well and they have both created a lot of chances in the group stage

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
if you are superstitious bad news for Croatia who will wear their checkered kits for this match, they play much better at tournaments in their blue kits :)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
When you read Croatia vs Portugal it seems like a very even game... but taking into account the form in the tournament... well, the poll speaks for itself.

I expect Croatia to win 2-1...

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
The key will be to stop Ronaldo, good thing Vida was on the bench last match so his yellow card is erased...He and Corluka will need to stop CR7 however they know, with hands, feet, tickles or tackles... I remember when Real Madrid played Champions league group game in Zagreb and Jerko Leko bruised Ronaldo's legs, they were so blue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad