R. Suter's upside pt potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
What is Ryan Suter's upside point potential? While stuck behind Timonen and Zidlicky, pp time will be limited. His point production in college was not inspiring. I've never seen him play personally so I'm going off second-hand info.

Thanks.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
DuklaNation said:
What is Ryan Suter's upside point potential? While stuck behind Timonen and Zidlicky, pp time will be limited. His point production in college was not inspiring. I've never seen him play personally so I'm going off second-hand info.

Thanks.

He's got very good offensive tools. In Wisconsin, he focused on getting his defense up to par. Like Hamhuis, I would say 45+ points is his peak. And that's likely in a career year assuming he has significant PP time. I see him as a consistent 30-40 point defenseman who is considered more all-around the offensive.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
SmokeyClause said:
He's got very good offensive tools. In Wisconsin, he focused on getting his defense up to par. Like Hamhuis, I would say 45+ points is his peak. And that's likely in a career year assuming he has significant PP time. I see him as a consistent 30-40 point defenseman who is considered more all-around the offensive.
I think eventually Hamhuis and Suter will replace Kimmo and Zids and put up similar numbers.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
triggrman said:
I think eventually Hamhuis and Suter will replace Kimmo and Zids and put up similar numbers.

I agree that they'll approach Kimmo's numbers. But unless Zids rookie year was a fluke, I'm not sure they'll challenge his numbers because of their differing styles. I just don't ever see Suter or Hammer being that aggressive offensively. They aren't offense at all costs, which Zids was at times last year.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
triggrman said:
I think though by then offensively we'll have a better group of forwards making it easier for the defensemen to pick-up assist.

Good point, and that may very well be true. But they also might have defenseman who are good enough offensively (Klein for example) to share the burden. This might take some points away.

It all depends on needs. If we find that we don't have enough defensive Dman, then you'll likely see Suter and Hammer working more defensively. If we find we don't have enough offensive Dmen, then they might get more offensive.

Vic Rattlehead*

Damn, Nashville will have a nice defence when Suter and Klein get in.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
It all depends on needs. If we find that we don't have enough defensive Dman, then you'll likely see Suter and Hammer working more defensively. If we find we don't have enough offensive Dmen, then they might get more offensive.

That's some kind of problem's I'd like to have on my team. :)

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:

Smokey hit the nail on the head. I saw Suter alot this past season. While Ryan's offensive numbers were "unimpressive", it wasn't because he lacks offensive skills. He saw time on the Badgers' top PP unit (first with Jeff Likens then much of the season with Tom Gilbert). Suter has no problem shooting the puck and has a very good shot.

I think Suter could easily become a 30 or 40 point guy as Smokey pointed out (but he and Preds fans would know better than I on how the Preds are likely to utilize him).

Just my two cents

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Oiltalk said:
What a way to ruin what looked to be a good thread.

nah. the wonderful thing about trolls...they're very easy to ignore!

anyway, I agree with what everyone is saying. It's hard to tell, right now, whether the Preds will most utilize Suter's offensive game or his defensive game. I've said time and time again his style reminds me a lot of Rob Blake...vicious hitter and great in his own end..but with some solid offensive tools, as well. I'm excited to follow him in the AHL, this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->