OT: R.I.P Walter Gretzky

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
My family lives in Brantford. If you had a kid in minor hockey you would have probably met him. He was such a great guy and an ambassador for the great game of hockey.

Such a tribute to his son, and an awesome person.

RIP
Not only that, but he was so present in communities for folks who’ve had brain trauma or stroke. Always had a smile, always said hello.
RIP.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
So here's a true story: my dad had taken one of his customers who is from St. Louis to a Leafs/Blues game around 2004. They decided to take a rickshaw which passed Wayne Gretzky's restaurant, Walter just happened to walk out when they passed. The rickshaw driver made a joke to Walter along the lines of "I'm getting tired Walter, want to take a turn?". He did, there's pictures

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
RIP sir
I had a tear in my eye when I heard about your death watching our beloved Leafs
You reminded me how important it was to keep da game FUN for my son and I will always remember that
I met Mr Gretzky once, sir to me, at end of a spring/summer hockey tournament in Brantford at some 4 plex some 20 years ago
I was paying da ref fees to a tournament organizer on a sunday afternoon after our final game and he asked me if I/my kids wanted to meet him
We said sure
So da arena was pretty much completely empty as we were final game of day and Mr Gretzky was shaking hands and thanking da refs for their work and we were next to say hi
Mr Gretzky as lots of hockey parents especially you guys from Brantford know had a small table and stool right on da glass of rink so he could sign but also watch games
People lined up to meet him and he would sign a Gretz picture and give it to you
So we are introduced by this same guy and he says to me can you repeat your name so I do
He gets a little smurk on his face and writes our name on da picture card from Walter
Then he asks me why I was at rink and I said well I was helping out this spring team as an asst coach and my son was playing last game
He smurks again
He asks me if he can speak to my son and asks him if he loves playing hockey ... my son who was a bit cocky as a 10 year old says yeah he is #9 on Marlies
He talks to my kid for like 10 minutes like about nothing about hockey about how important family was and to keep having FUN but really he was speaking to a few of us there by table
He then rites a note and pulls out a signed Gretz card and puts it in an envelope and says good night and drive safe back to TO
We leave rink go home and I pull out envelope to safeguard card and note and it says Dougie you have more talent then your dad and always remember to keep hockey fun and please pass along this note to your granddad ... then note continues you probably don't remember me but we met in stands watching our kids play at NT arena under a heater my son on Nats and your kid, who I just saw in Brantford, had finished playing a game on Marlies and how it was a very very small world
Mr Gretzky, sir to me, was such a bright and humble guy and always kept his sense of humour ... a true legend RIP sir

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
RIP Mr. Gretzky.

A great, and humble man who loved everything about the game. Wayne got everything he knew from him.

I was just in Brantford the other day, driving along Wayne Gretzky Parkway. Never thought I'd get home and hear of such sad news.

He's in a better place now, with his wife. God Speed.

Reactions: klmdg

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
RIP Mr. Gretzky.

Saw him during the intermission of a Leafs/Hawks game in the concourse talking to a bunch of people and signing autographs. Waited and finally got a chance to say hi and asked him to sign my ticket which he did. When I got back to my seat and looked at the clock I realised I had missed half the 2nd period. It was worth it to meet a great man.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Rest In Peace to Wally, the greatest hockey dad we all knew. His book is on my bedside table, I got it as a father's day present a few years ago from my kids (my son plays, daughter just gets dragged along to the rink occasionally). He's what I aspire to be as a hockey dad and a person, just an absolutely classy, genuine, warm, thoughtful man. stick taps for you tonight when we skate the kids tonight.

Reactions: klmdg and saltming

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
RIP Mr. Gretzky. He was a great ambassador for the game of hockey, and by all accounts a good person. Its been a rough couple of days for the sports world.

Reactions: klmdg and ToneDog

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Posted this on the main boards but wanted to post it on the Leafs board also.

Well here's my Walter story.

My wife and I were visiting Toronto years ago so we went to see a Leafs game. After the game we went to Gretzky's bar and grill, got our table and I went to use the bathroom. Between the two bathroom doors was all of Wayne's stats from his first game all the way to the nhl. I go to the bathroom, come out and start reading the stat boards. All of a sudden Walter comes up to me as I'm reading it and says hello. I was surprised to see him and introduced myself and we began to chat about Wayne and the Leafs game we were both at. For the next 10-15 minutes we are talking like we've known each other for years and it became a special moment getting to talk one on one with him. I thanked him for the conversation, we shook hands and went back to our tables. He was one of the nicest and most humble people I've come across. He's everything that everyone says he is and that's a salt of the earth classy man. Very special person that deserves all the praise he receives and made my meeting with him a great memory.

Condolences to the Gretzky family and RIP Walter..........

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
He was such a loveable figure and a great example to all of us sporting parents. Sad news indeed.

Reactions: klmdg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad