OT: R.I.P. ROY HALLADAY

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Glad you guys could also experience his greatness. A class act and a dedicated worker. Almost all Jays fans were behind you when you got him. No one held a grudge, we couldn't put a team behind him that gave him a chance, we wished you guys could. I was at university at the time, and everyone I know who was a baseball fan was messaging each other to check out his game vs the Reds.

Reactions: Rebels57

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I told this story on Twitter. I remember the Phillies being rumored to get Halladay for a couple of seasons before they actually did and every time I would just cringe in excitement. I mean Halladay was hands down the best in the game, it was art when he pitched. And then they got him and I remember walking around every day during offseason just waiting till Spring Training and then he pitched in Spring Training and it was something to behold, and then the regular season and he was absolutely unhittable, he put the ball wherever he wanted, if you wanted to just blow it by you, here came a 95-96 mph fastball, he made pitches do things I never saw.

And on top that, the man was a terrific human, we need more great humans in this world, and we lost an all timer. Thoughts are with his wife and his sons who knew him as some one other than one of the best pitchers that every graced the MLB, they just knew him as a husband and father, and by all accounts he was just as great as that as he was a pitcher.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Holy crap! I saw this last night....so sad
My favorite pitcher from the R2C2 rotation. Great pitcher and even better person. Will be missed by many, RIP!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hope I'm not overstepping, but as our two franchises and fanbase share the grief of today and what Doc meant to our teams and us as fans, I wanted to adapt the tribute avatars I made in the Blue Jays' thread for the Phillies as well for anyone who wants one.

View attachment 82683 View attachment 82689 View attachment 82691

the first two are static images. The third flips between those two images every few seconds.

Thank you so much!

I saw these on your board yesterday and was going to ask someone to adapt them myself but didnt want to overstep.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So how about some Roy Halladay memories? Obviously the perfect game and the no-hitter are huge (2010 in general), the Bury Cesar line, but what else stands out?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So how about some Roy Halladay memories? Obviously the perfect game and the no-hitter are huge (2010 in general), the Bury Cesar line, but what else stands out?
Some of the best memories have come off the field. Like his commercial for I think MLB The Show when he had the Chooch Pillow. I loved that stuff. He was super serious on the mound, but you hear from teammates that the dude messed around a lot. Loved getting laughs.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Some of the best memories have come off the field. Like his commercial for I think MLB The Show when he had the Chooch Pillow. I loved that stuff. He was super serious on the mound, but you hear from teammates that the dude messed around a lot. Loved getting laughs.
I don't remember that commercial! I'll have to look it up. His offseason workouts always were impressive. Remember that time he was just randomly spotted at CBP running in the outfield???

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's very tragic for the baseball world and specially for Toronto and Philadelphia fans - my deepest condolences for the loved one's and Doc's family

What a class act he was, Toronto fans are very sad as you guys are, we are going to miss you Doc

You guys are welcome to share your feelings / sentiments on Leafs board as well

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
TSN's evening sports wrap-up was almost completely about Halladay. One thing they emphasized was when things fell apart, he accepted a demotion to A-ball and rebuilt himself as a pitcher. That took dedication and humility, and the fact that he came back as strong or even stronger is a testament to his perseverance and talent.

Reactions: Jtown and Rebels57

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Glad you guys could also experience his greatness. A class act and a dedicated worker. Almost all Jays fans were behind you when you got him. No one held a grudge, we couldn't put a team behind him that gave him a chance, we wished you guys could. I was at university at the time, and everyone I know who was a baseball fan was messaging each other to check out his game vs the Reds.

He had some historic seasons with the Phillies, but I felt for him that the team couldn't manage to win it all.

2011 was probably my favorite year to follow the Phillies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's very tragic for the baseball world and specially for Toronto and Philadelphia fans - my deepest condolences for the loved one's and Doc's family

What a class act he was, Toronto fans are very sad as you guys are, we are going to miss you Doc

Doc has brought Leafs and Flyers fans together.

That says a lot!

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
So if my numbers are right, just to put it into perspective for any younger posters:

2002-2011. Roy Halladay: 303 Starts, 58.5 WAR, 5.82 WAR per 30 Starts
2009-2017. Clayton Kershaw: 269 Starts, 56.4 WAR, 6.29 WAR per 30 Starts

2002-2011. AL/NL East Team Batting WAR per Season: 84 (Non Jays/Phils)
2009-2017. NL West Team Batting WAR per Season: 72 (Non Dodgers)

Less than .5 difference in WAR (roughly) per season in a division(s) that was on average 12 wins better. Which is like dropping 2 more Chase Utley's into the division.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The 2011 Phillies season was probably my favorite season of any of the teams I follow, even more then the 2008 Phillies.

They were must watch television every night.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas

Remember the guy with the Halladay jersey? He posted a picture of him wearing it and said "I wonder if he knows?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad