R.I.P. Mike Bossy

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
His death was prematurely reported here weeks ago by somebody. So several of us had already posted on his passing unfortunately before he had passed. RIP Mike Bossy. One of the greats. Best pure shooter in hockey. Oddly the knock on him in scouting reports was didn't skate well enough. He skated fine, and being that he had a howitzer he scored from almost anywhere in offensive zone. Had great hands too.
His 50 in 50 was him defined. Puck gets to him in an awkward spot, and somehow he hammers it. If memory serves.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The only thing I didn't like about Mike Bossy was that he didn't play for the Oilers.

Can you imagine Gretzky between Bossy and Kurri? That would have been fun to watch.

In reality, Bossy always claimed that Bryan Trottier was all round better than Gretzky but of course that was the rivalry that existed between the clubs.

If you want to read more about the rivalry from the inside (including what happened when the two teams met in the same dressing room as teammates in the Canada Cup) then check out Messier's book "No One Wins Alone."
Trottier was better all round. He just wasn’t close as a player.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
77343561-EBA4-4028-8B97-43D0648E14EC.jpeg

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sending my condolences to the Bossy family and the Islanders family.

The Oilers will forever be linked with the Islanders because of the dynasties both had in the 80s, those Bossy teams set the bar for us as a franchise.

Rest easy Mr. Bossy.

players-wayne-gretzky-mark-messier-of-the-edmonton-oilers-mike-bossy-picture-id661939358
Who is the guy on the far right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad