Confirmed with Link: R.I.P John Amirante

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY

Was reading this article on newsday about John and it said he had a daughter that pre-deceased him. She was murdered at the age of 18 in plainview. Remember reading about the family trying to keep the killer in jail a few years ago never put it together it was johns daughter. Crazy

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The league should have teams do a moment of silence at the games tonight and tomorrow because he was such an important part of Rangers culture for decades. Would at least like to see one in Newark tomorrow. If there was a hall of fame for anthem singers he would be in it, RIP.

Reactions: NCRanger

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Was reading this article on newsday about John and it said he had a daughter that pre-deceased him. She was murdered at the age of 18 in plainview. Remember reading about the family trying to keep the killer in jail a few years ago never put it together it was johns daughter. Crazy

Jesus, that is horrible. I never knew that.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He was the go-to guy when I was beginning being a fan. Icon and loved by everyone. I’ll miss him. Hope the Rangers remember him with a banner and or a JA on the uni. Too much to ask? Legend.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm so bummed. He was a part of the Garden experience for anyone who rooted for the team from the early 80s-2010s. Was such a great moment to see him at Ratelle Night.

Very briefly met him in the corridors of MSG during a game. My friends and I didn't want to be "marks" as the wrestling term goes and hog him with for pictures, but now I kinda wish we did. Really, really nice guy.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I'm so bummed. He was a part of the Garden experience for anyone who rooted for the team from the early 80s-2010s. Was such a great moment to see him at Ratelle Night.

Very briefly met him in the corridors of MSG during a game. My friends and I didn't want to be "marks" as the wrestling term goes and hog him with for pictures, but now I kinda wish we did. Really, really nice guy.

Fitting his last anthem at MSG was surrounded by legends and on a special night. There is no question he should be in the rafters.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I was 12 years old in 94, and I have still yet to see anything quite like that. The building was so loud, it drowned out Amirante.

We tried to go to game 5 but couldn't afford the tickets. I was a broke college student at the time. Anyhow, there was a Chinese Restaurant across the street that was the only bar that had room anywhere within a 2 mile radius of the Garden. We watched the game from there. When Messier tied the game, I swear to you the ground shook and it sounded like a 747 was right over head and an earthquake at the same time. I never felt or heard anything like it to this day, Unfortunately, that feeling was short lived.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
We tried to go to game 5 but couldn't afford the tickets. I was a broke college student at the time. Anyhow, there was a Chinese Restaurant across the street that was the only bar that had room anywhere within a 2 mile radius of the Garden. We watched the game from there. When Messier tied the game, I swear to you the ground shook and it sounded like a 747 was right over head and an earthquake at the same time. I never felt or heard anything like it to this day, Unfortunately, that feeling was short lived.

Richter with the softie to Dave Babych.

Game 5 was a really strange game, followed by a game 6 stinker. Amazing to think how close this franchise was to 78 years of futility and counting.

Reactions: NCRanger

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am saddened to learn this.

John suffered a horrible tragedy in 1985 when his teenaged daughter was murdered by someone she met at a concert and never came home.

The Dolan family has lobbied very hard to make sure her murderer remains behind bars as parole has been denied many times.

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

T.S. Ma?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I honestly do not remember the name of the place.

giphy.gif

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
The game always started the best way when JA was behind the mike. The gold standard for certain.
I can picture St.Peter at the gates saying "Welcome John,you know I couldn't hear you at the start of game 7 either, but by the way that crowd was cheering, we knew you were great!"Condolences to his family.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->