R.I.P. Jamie Rodgers (thegodfather)

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
What a sad day.

Life can be so beautiful and so painful all at the same time.

Bless his family and friends, and may god help him on his journey.

Reactions: Lady Rhian and BMC

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Some years back, I spent a lot of time on the phone with Jamie, trying to get the SIM software from our league to work on his computer. It was extremely frustrating (probably because I am no computer whiz, lol), but rewarding at the same time because we obviously talked about family and personal stuff as well. I think he may have been suffering from some issues even then, but not as prevalent or at least he wasn’t talking about them yet?

When I heard that Jamie has passed, those hours on the phone were the first thing I thought of. I’m not going to pretend I knew him that well or what was tormenting him. When something like this happens, the only thing you can hope for is that it brings attention and sheds more light on mental health issues and helps others down the road.

Condolences to his family.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
After game 7 I didn’t read HF much or look aside from July 1st-10th maybe to see if we made any moves or signed Carlo/Mac.

Didn’t want to see something like this when I visited again. Never like to lose someone on the board. As someone with my own mental health issues I understand. Condolences for the beautiful family he left behind.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was FB friends with Jamie . His brother sent me a request so I am now FB friends with him ( I have a limited # of people) .Harold seems like a good guy. ...except he is a die hard Habs fan. He and his brother Jamie must have had interesting conversations over the years.

Reactions: Lady Rhian and BMC

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was FB friends with Jamie . His brother sent me a request so I am now FB friends with him ( I have a limited # of people) .Harold seems like a good guy. ...except he is a die hard Habs fan. He and his brother Jamie must have had interesting conversations over the years.

Jamie's brother just sent me this on FB (after reading this thread) " indeed we did have many “interesting conversations” over the years. I was so very touched and inspired by all the posts and tributes to Jamie. Also very moved by the comments and support for mental illness. Hockey folks are indeed the best and most caring, kind and honorable people. Jamie was fortunate to have been a part of that community. Thank You"

I am trying to talk him into joining the HF.

Last edited:

IrishTwins

Aug 10, 2019
Good evening all. I am Harold, ‘the Habs fan’ and older brother to Jamie - aka thegodfather. Jamie and I were 11 months apart, hence IrishTwins. I want to thank all those that have posted on this thread. It has been heart warming and very comforting to read the tributes; I even learned a few things about my brother that I didn’t know. You have truly shown that hockey folks are kind, caring, and honourable people. Your conversations and comments on mental health have been very inspiring. It is not a secret to those here that Jamie battled this illness for quite some time. I want you to know that he was not alone and he was seeking and receiving professional care. Sadly, in spite of this, he felt very alone and lost his battle. His family takes some comfort in knowing he is now at peace. I want you all to know that your kind words and thoughts have helped bring me comfort over the past several weeks. Hockey season will not be the same without my many text exchanges with Jamie over officiating and passionate conversations about Brad Marchand. Thank you and God Bless each and every one of you. Kind regards, Harold.

P.S. Thanks Ladyfan for encouraging me to join.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Good evening all. I am Harold, ‘the Habs fan’ and older brother to Jamie - aka thegodfather. Jamie and I were 11 months apart, hence IrishTwins. I want to thank all those that have posted on this thread. It has been heart warming and very comforting to read the tributes; I even learned a few things about my brother that I didn’t know. You have truly shown that hockey folks are kind, caring, and honourable people. Your conversations and comments on mental health have been very inspiring. It is not a secret to those here that Jamie battled this illness for quite some time. I want you to know that he was not alone and he was seeking and receiving professional care. Sadly, in spite of this, he felt very alone and lost his battle. His family takes some comfort in knowing he is now at peace. I want you all to know that your kind words and thoughts have helped bring me comfort over the past several weeks. Hockey season will not be the same without my many text exchanges with Jamie over officiating and passionate conversations about Brad Marchand. Thank you and God Bless each and every one of you. Kind regards, Harold.

Welcome !!!!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

:welcome:

Reactions: BMC and IrishTwins

IrishTwins

Aug 10, 2019
Let me preface this with no person here is fit to judge another person. Nor will that be tolerated.

I have been flooded with what I consider to be concerned questions as to what happened. I wasn't there and therefore I cant say for certain.

I have my own feelings on it as do others I have 'spoken' with privately.

What I will do, after much personal internal deliberation, leave with one of the last postings I happened to see from Jamie in his words:

"Jamie Rodgers - I also have anxiety, depression and PTSD. I was diagnosed with traits of what they call Borderline Personality Disorder. I also attempted suicide in October and still think about doing it again. Everyday I hear the voice.
I have stopped talking to my friends about my issues because honestly they have no clue what to say or do. They are stumped and confused, they don't know what happened to their buddy, the happy go lucky guy. I've actually lost a friend, yet I don't know why. I served 12 years in the Army and consider myself what people say is a "man's man". I was also told I'm what people call is an Alpha Male. Depending on who I talk with that's either good or bad.
But these issues have made me question my man hood, my toughness and my strength to fight; but mostly my will to live."
Thank you for sharing this Gee Wally!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Welcome!

I can say in my many texts with Jamie over the years that his family was his ray of sunshine and he talked highly of you guys and loved you all so very much. Many of our convos just revolved around major family milestones and good times shared between you all. He meant a lot to us here, and while gone, he will never be forgotten,

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Welcome aboard!

Our hearts go out to you and the family.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

Thank you for sharing this with us during your time of grieving. It is courageous of you. Habs/Bruins...what a great rivalry. Jamie would love that you're carrying it on.
Thanks for posting and welcome.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

Welcome. thank you for sharing during such a difficult time.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Opened this for the first time - awful news. He always seemed like a great fan / person.

Rest in peace and deepest sympathies to family / friends.

Haunting news for those who knew him. It seems as though he left a strong legacy that will be remembered by many, something we all should strive for.

Well, when a guy like Jamie who was going through all he was, texts you, to see how you are doing, is really a testament to who he was.

IrishTwins

Aug 10, 2019
I apologize for reopening this post but I am still learning how to use this platform. This post is related to Jamie (aka the godfather), my Mom - both departed - and tonight’s Bruins/Leafs game. Today you see is my Mom’s birthday; she would have been 92. She was an ardent Leaf fan - fitting as her first cousin was none other than George Armstrong. I don’t have to tell anyone here where Jamie’s allegiances lay. So, if there is a little extra noise from the heavens tonight we will know why. As kids, anytime the Bruins played either the Habs or the Leafs, Saturday nights were quite lively. I would normally say Rest In Peace but not too sure there will be much resting or peace, at least until the game is over. I am sure my Mom, Dad and Jamie are having one hell of a time in heaven this evening.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad