R.I.P. Jamie Rodgers (thegodfather)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My sincere condolences to Jamie's family, friends, hfboards friends & hfl sim family.

Gotten to know Jamie here on hf a long time ago (kosikarzzz) and through our hfl Sim league and facebook. Looks like he left a good mark on this world with all the people he has touched.

Long live the Cosa Notras.
Sad time but welcome back.

Reactions: Lady Rhian and Kosi

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My God that was beautiful.
I made it thru half the video and realized if I kept going I would be sobbing uncontrollably

I’ll hit the deck tonight and watch

I’d never met him and my last exchanges on messages in the SIM was August 26th and it was so upbeat

This video makes me feel so sad and happy at the same time- I feel like I know the guy I texted, talked to, & pm

Rest In Peace Jamie

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Let me preface this with no person here is fit to judge another person. Nor will that be tolerated.

I have been flooded with what I consider to be concerned questions as to what happened. I wasn't there and therefore I cant say for certain.

I have my own feelings on it as do others I have 'spoken' with privately.

What I will do, after much personal internal deliberation, leave with one of the last postings I happened to see from Jamie in his words:

"Jamie Rodgers - I also have anxiety, depression and PTSD. I was diagnosed with traits of what they call Borderline Personality Disorder. I also attempted suicide in October and still think about doing it again. Everyday I hear the voice.
I have stopped talking to my friends about my issues because honestly they have no clue what to say or do. They are stumped and confused, they don't know what happened to their buddy, the happy go lucky guy. I've actually lost a friend, yet I don't know why. I served 12 years in the Army and consider myself what people say is a "man's man". I was also told I'm what people call is an Alpha Male. Depending on who I talk with that's either good or bad.
But these issues have made me question my man hood, my toughness and my strength to fight; but mostly my will to live."

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
that’s so f***ing heartbreaking

Borderline personality disorder is a menace I’ve seen my ex/a good friend of mine wrestle with. It’s a constant struggle for her. I can only imagine how difficult life must have been for Jamie dealing with that on top of his other issues with anxiety/PTSD

I’m so sorry that he felt so hopeless and lonely. He deserved so much better. f*** man.

People care about you whether you think they do or not. I can understand the frustration of thinking you’re going at it alone because nobody can put yourself inside your own brain. But that doesn’t have to be the case

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Let me preface this with no person here is fit to judge another person. Nor will that be tolerated.

I have been flooded with what I consider to be concerned questions as to what happened. I wasn't there and therefore I cant say for certain.

What I will do, after much personal internal deliberation, leave with one of the last postings I happened to see from Jamie in his words:

"Jamie Rodgers - I also have anxiety, depression and PTSD. I was diagnosed with traits of what they call Borderline Personality Disorder. I also attempted suicide in October and still think about doing it again. Everyday I hear the voice.
I have stopped talking to my friends about my issues because honestly they have no clue what to say or do. They are stumped and confused, they don't know what happened to their buddy, the happy go lucky guy. I've actually lost a friend, yet I don't know why. I served 12 years in the Army and consider myself what people say is a "man's man". I was also told I'm what people call is an Alpha Male. Depending on who I talk with that's either good or bad.
But these issues have made me question my man hood, my toughness and my strength to fight; but mostly my will to live."
Thank you Wally.

God this absolutely friggin sucks so much

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

:heart:Thanks Wally.

Many here knew that Jamie was struggling with these issues. I think we all wish we could have done something for him.

I will always remember Jamie for his kind words to me when I lost my Mother and his advice when I was dealing with difficult issues in my life.

He will be missed.

Last edited:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Well now that it’s out there. I want to say that we can honor Jamie’s memory by continuing to fight for mental health awareness for all people and not just the people that obviously have it. We need to bring everyone out of the dark. We need to dispel the myth that men should remain “strong” by hiding their feelings. We need to teach boys how to express themselves healthily and not feel forced to shoulder every burden no matter the cost to themselves

Jamie lived his life proudly and never asked anyone for help, and I admire his will to do without taking from others, and I know that we can do better for folks like Jamie in the future. Reach out and let a loved one know they’re not alone, give them autonomy but also slowly build a foundation of support underneath them. No one has to go it alone

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Well now that it’s out there. I want to say that we can honor Jamie’s memory by continuing to fight for mental health awareness for all people and not just the people that obviously have it. We need to bring everyone out of the dark. We need to dispel the myth that men should remain “strong” by hiding their feelings. We need to teach boys how to express themselves healthily and not feel forced to shoulder every burden no matter the cost to themselves

Jamie lived his life proudly and never asked anyone for help, and I admire his will to do without taking from others, and I know that we can do better for folks like Jamie in the future. Reach out and let a loved one know they’re not alone, give them autonomy but also slowly build a foundation of support underneath them. No one has to go it alone
Excellent post. Thank s!

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Thanks Wally for sharing.
Hopefully we can all help with those close to us that are affected by mental health.
I have a niece that deals with mental illness on a daily basis for the rest of her life. Alone with teenage twins far away from family but myself and wife.
Brought her to my family doctor, was diagnosed with Psychosis and she's being medicated followed by a psychiatrist.
It's an everyday battle. We are here to support and help manage the everyday things we all take for granted.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It is so much more prevalent than most people think, and the stigma, like what Jamie experienced, prevents many from seeking help, or even opening up about the struggle as a precursor to getting help. Times are slowly changing and it is my hope that we can arrive at a place where mental illness is seen as just another condition like diabetes, or arthritis, that can be treated and managed without engendering fear and suspicion.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

this. and I'm so glad that we are talking about it because you may not know who it might help.
I saw both sides of him many times on two different hockey forums; the struggle for him was terrible.

You are not alone
you are not isolated.
you're supported. please reach out.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It is so much more prevalent than most people think, and the stigma, like what Jamie experienced, prevents many from seeking help, or even opening up about the struggle as a precursor to getting help. Times are slowly changing and it is my hope that we can arrive at a place where mental illness is seen as just another condition like diabetes, or arthritis, that can be treated and managed without engendering fear and suspicion.
Absolutely, the struggle to convince her to let me help her. to have her to want to open with my family doctor. Although she reluctantly admit talking to imaginary people, to her legs, to fruit... and then agreeing to open up with the doctor,and still saying but I'm not crazy. Couldn't keep a job for more than a few weeks was another problem altogether.

Reactions: Kovi and Dr Hook

member 96824

If anyone at all is going through a dark time, my messages are always open. Whether you know me or don’t, like me or not, I’m here to listen no matter how big or small.

Like many others, got to know him through the sim league. He was such a great guy.

Thinking about his wife and daughters.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I gripe about going to my doctor but the truth is that I wouldn’t change it because I am getting the help I need.

In a weird twist, I just so happened to have my monthly visit scheduled for today and it couldn’t have come at a better time.

I feel incredibly lucky to have a great doctor and a support system (even if I try and push them away).

I’m also lucky I have this family because we have each others backs no matter what.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I will say plainly that this family helped me get through the darkest period of my life a few years ago. My father was ill & dying and I was facing serious financial & professional difficulties. I had a meltdown and posted about it in the OT thread. I got so much support on that thread and through PMs & it encouraged me to know I was not alone. I honestly don't know what would have happened to me if I had not written that post and clicked the button, I was that close to the edge. I'm in a much better place now though sometimes I have very bad days but between faith & medication I can cope with them much better.

Like @BrainOfJ said- if anyone is having difficulty reach out to me. Just knowing someone cares & is willing to listen can make a big difference. And please get whatever professional help you might need. You'd do it if your heart or other body part wasn't working right so there is no reason not to do it when your mind isn't working right.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I will say plainly that this family helped me get through the darkest period of my life a few years ago. My father was ill & dying and I was facing serious financial & professional difficulties. I had a meltdown and posted about it in the OT thread. I got so much support on that thread and through PMs & it encouraged me to know I was not alone. I honestly don't know what would have happened to me if I had not written that post and clicked the button, I was that close to the edge. I'm in a much better place now though sometimes I have very bad days but between faith & medication I can cope with them much better.

Like @BrainOfJ said- if anyone is having difficulty reach out to me. Just knowing someone cares & is willing to listen can make a big difference. And please get whatever professional help you might need. You'd do it if your heart or other body part wasn't working right so there is no reason not to do it when your mind isn't working right.
Spot on.

Out of something terrible maybe something good can happen. There are MANY good people on this board with varied backgrounds. Please don't EVER be afraid of reaching out to folks on this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->