R.I.P EJ McGuire

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
EJ McGuire, Director of CSB, Dies

NEW YORK/TORONTO – Edward John "EJ" McGuire, one of the most beloved, respected and accomplished men in all of hockey, died today in Toronto from cancer at the age of 58.

A head coach at the collegiate, junior and AHL levels and an assistant coach for three NHL organizations over 12 seasons and a scout for two Clubs, McGuire had been the Director of the NHL's Central Scouting Department since 2005. In his many and various roles in nearly four decades in the sport, the effervescent Buffalo native, who held undergraduate and Master's degrees from the State University of New York at Brockport, touched and educated hundreds of players, coaches and fans.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=558573

stephan04

Nov 10, 2009
EJ McGuire dead at 58

NEW YORK/TORONTO – Edward John "EJ" McGuire, one of the most beloved, respected and accomplished men in all of hockey, died today in Toronto from cancer at the age of 58.

A head coach at the collegiate, junior and AHL levels and an assistant coach for three NHL organizations over 12 seasons and a scout for two Clubs, McGuire had been the Director of the NHL's Central Scouting Department since 2005. In his many and various roles in nearly four decades in the sport, the effervescent Buffalo native, who held undergraduate and Master's degrees from the State University of New York at Brockport, touched and educated hundreds of players, coaches and fans.

"The National Hockey League was privileged to benefit from EJ's expertise and enthusiasm, both of which were limitless," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "EJ loved scouting games and loved the internal debates over the strengths and weaknesses of Entry Draft prospects. The way he ran Central Scouting made it vitally important to every one of our Clubs.

"The NHL family has suffered a tremendous loss. As we celebrate EJ's contributions and mourn his passing, we send our condolences – and our gratitude – to EJ's family and friends."

McGuire is survived by his wife,Terry, and their daughters Jacqueline and Erin.

"EJ was a colleague, a friend and a mentor who influenced and enriched the hockey lives of thousands of players, coaches, parents and administrators in more than 30 years in the game," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "As a coach, he combined attention to detail with innovation to teach the game to players at all levels -- from teenage college and junior players to the elite professionals in the NHL. As the NHL's Vice President of Central Scouting and a member of the Hockey Operations Department, he brought wisdom, guidance and unparalleled commitment to the game to advance it on so many levels.

"EJ had two loves in life: His love of family and his passion for hockey," Campbell said. "The hockey world extends its deepest sympathies to his wife, Terry, and daughters Jacqueline and Erin."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=558573&navid=DL|NHL|home

i used to love watching this dudes predraft videos. i'll miss him.

ej.jpg

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Terrible just terrible. Never good to see people pass. Cancer ****ING BLOWS! My condolences go out to his family and friends! Sad day...

pine*

terrible news. RIP EJ. Loved hearing his videos about draft prospects.

Condolences go out to his friends and family.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
No way! I always loved getting to hear what he had to say about prospects in interviews. This is a downer. I had no idea he had cancer.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Knew he was battling and wasn't looking good, but never expected this to happen so soon for him.

RIP EJ.

Tiger Blood

Dec 14, 2009
Brantford, ON
May he Rest in Peace.

I always loved listening to him talk about hockey and prospects. Very well informed, very well spoken man.

My condolences to his family.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Jesus Christ, was not expecting to read that. I didn't even know he had cancer. RIP to one of the most dedicated people in the business.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Wow. So sad and way too young. I had no idea that he was even sick. I think he was giving radio interviews not that long ago.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Afwul. I met EJ a couple years ago at the powerade center, he was glad to reminisce about his days coaching the Guelph Storm. I really appreciated him for taking the time to talk with me, a fan and wannabe scout.

RIP EJ

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Cancer takes another one :( R.I.P. EJ, Your passion and knowledge for hockey was inspirational. But you also seemed like a tremendous person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad