• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
vanlady said:
I disagree with you I think that owner arbitration is far more valuable in hold out situations.

Agents are not stupid, there going to use the Score system to derive player contract information and use comparables which would put Jerome Iginala's salary between 5 -5.5 million. Agents know that no matter what they do unless there is a flurry of stupidity from one team, the owners arbitration clause is going to bring some sanity back.

I cant believe how many are not seeing this. This line that there is no mechanism to prevent the same things from happening again, is just not looking properly.

Arbitration is now available to all teams to keep salaries in line. It also allows Calgary to take Iginla to arbitration to not only guarantee he gets about the 5-7mil the new marketpalce is set at, but also guarantees that he will be signed for the start of the season. He cant hold out, nor can he get an unfair reward. This is a huge change. The arbitration system is not only not inflationary, it can be used to maintain RFA salaries, the ones arbitration applies to, down. Since ther ewill be no Sakic offer sheets, explain how this can possibly be in a an inflationary spiral.

It doesnt control UFA salaries, agreed, but it no longer needs to. Since it is quite evident that no longer is the need to buy UFAs a determinant of success, the luxury tax doesnt need to prevent big UFA spending, but rather just use it to raise enough taxes to support the needy. Its not the owners that want a higher tax number. They want to share less. But you have to look at the tax number that raises the desired amount of money, not the one that attempts to prevent spending.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Ya, why would fans want to punish the teams responsible for the salary inflation in the first place?

If you think anyone but Leaf/Wings fans are going to cry for them, you are sorely mistaken.

BTW,

There would be no firesale to get under the cap. Those teams just wouldn't be allowed to add any salary until they did get under the cap. No UFA's for the worst offenders. I'm getting all misty here just thinking about their hardship.

You do realize that 18 of the 30 teams in the league would be over a $31 million cap?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
ceber said:
The owners can use that hammer one time in a single player's career, and only twice overall in three years. They won't risk it if the difference between the player's demand and what they want to pay isn't that big. I think the owner-initiated arbitration is only useful in rare situations where a guy is getting overpaid by a considerable amount.

The real valuable change to arbitration is to only allow new or rolled-back contracts to be used for comparables, but since Jarome doesn't have to file for arbitration, his agent can do precisely what was described. 7 mill is probably close enough to what he's worth that the team won't spend one of their arbitrations on him. He's a star, fans love him, you want him on your team. The arbitration is handy for that guy who's getting 3 or 4 million and should really only be getting 1.5 or so. Losing that guy isn't a terrible deal. Losing Iginla puts the hurt on that organization in too many ways for it to be worth the risk of arbitration. IMO.

Can you name an RFA that the GM would like to take to arbitration to lower his salary from $3 or 4 to $1.4? I would think the big value of this, is that star players with a good year who want to hold out, can be taken by the owners to arbitration to ensure they get fair value, and guarantee they are in camp.

Brent Burns Beard