Quinton Hughes vs. Adam Boqvist vs. Evan Bouchard vs. Noah Dobson vs. Ty Smith

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
No one's criticizing him for making safe plays. He just hasn't proven to be dynamic enough to move the needle on his stock over a guy like Hughes who is a superstar (and unfairly maligned by an off start).

Dobson would have to have a pretty significant (i.e. massive) uptick in his play, if he wants to become a Pietrangelo-level player. Pietrangelo was the best young talent in the world at one point and a top 5 pick in one of the best defensive drafts of all time. Dobson may play like Pietrangelo but he's tracking to be more of a #2.
Dobson has the offensive ability...i the QMJHL his game was great in the offensive end, which tells me the guy is just a rookie and very young player, im sure he is being told to be defensively responsible, he is not taking the chances as in junior, but im not really sure what people are picking apart yet...in 3 years lets visit this again...im takes some defenders longer than others to really be able to play the game they can.

Reactions: PWJunior

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I consider Dobson the Dylan Strome of forwards. He doesn't process the game fast enough to be elite in the NHL. I never understood the hype and his NHL play screams Hanifin to me. Maybe Jay Bouwmeester.

Hughes makes lighting quick decisions in addition to being an excellent skater and extremely skilled too. On draft day I wasn't sure he'd have success in the NHL due to his size. I was wrong. Sucks he's a Canuck :)
On draft day, I preferred Boqvist.

Reactions: CarlWising

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Dobson is developing fine. He’s had some great games for the islanders and some shaky games. He has shown his great skating ability and calmness with the puck in the defensive zone. Dobson offense has actually been better then his defense showing great ability to rush the puck. He has not done it nearly as much as in junior but he has shown in the nhl he can transition very well and create offense. For a 5 game stretch Dobson was the second best player on the team to Barzal of course.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Defenseman usually take longer to develop. Pulock took a while as did Pelech and both are really good now especially defensively. Fans are to obsessed with points when it comes to defenseman.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson is developing fine. He’s had some great games for the islanders and some shaky games. He has shown his great skating ability and calmness with the puck in the defensive zone. Dobson offense has actually been better then his defense showing great ability to rush the puck. He has not done it nearly as much as in junior but he has shown in the nhl he can transition very well and create offense. For a 5 game stretch Dobson was the second best player on the team to Barzal of course.

Thankfully Dobson will never be a defensive liability like some of the other d-men mentioned in this thread. Trotz will guarantee that never happens anyway, but the kid has a complete game and has the ability to contribute in all 3 zones. He may lack any single great trait, but he’s good all across the board with no real weakness.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Something that I noticed about Boqvist:
Sometimes, he gets killed in corsi/fenwick but still ends up with an xGF% above 50%.
That tells me it's more about his on-ice teammates rather than him.

There are a few Hawks forwards that are notoriously bad at defense.

Reactions: Mrb1p

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Thankfully Dobson will never be a defensive liability like some of the other d-men mentioned in this thread. Trotz will guarantee that never happens anyway, but the kid has a complete game and has the ability to contribute in all 3 zones. He may lack any single great trait, but he’s good all across the board with no real weakness.

I can't believe I'm defending a Canuck but... you are comparing a bottom-pair D in Dobson right now... to a top-pair in Hughes

PuckIQ | Woodmoney
Dobson.JPG
Hughes.JPG

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Something that I noticed about Boqvist:
Sometimes, he gets killed in corsi/fenwick but still ends up with an xGF% above 50%.
That tells me it's more about his on-ice teammates rather than him.

There are a few Hawks forwards that are notoriously bad at defense.

It could be... that's the problem with Corsi... it basically a line/pairing metric. He is terrible against elites though (37% Corsi). Who does he play with?

upload_2021-2-25_22-30-9.png

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It could be... that's the problem with Corsi... it basically a line/pairing metric. He is terrible against elites though (37% Corsi). Who does he play with?

View attachment 400644
Tonight, he was playing with the worst forward group in terms of corsi on the team a lot. It wasn't always that way, and also his D pairing partner has been really bad with giveaways in his own zone.

The Hawks have been bad as a team possession wise the majority of the season.

They have good games here and there.

They win because of their offensive talent making the most of their opportunities more than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m not a big analyst but what I read this is in favor of T. Smith but it pretty equal right?
I wouldn’t trade Fox for Smith personally. There are very few players in the league that I’d trade him for. He’s not an offensive dynamo but he’s good offensively and the other stuff he does all over the ice is legitimately mind blowing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I thought it would take a year to convince me but I would take Ty Smith over Quinn Hughes moving forward. I love Quinn more offensively but Smith is miles better defensively. He has an elite stick defending. Maybe it helps having Severson but that isn't going to change for a long time.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Would you trade Smith for Fox straight up?

No but not by much. Fox is older and more polished but less dynamic. When people say dynamic, they're really referring to how many ways a guy can beat you and the unpredictability in their game (why so-called "dynamic" players have spotty defense mostly). I still see Smith as calibrating defensively, especially trying to figure out how to physically contain bigger forwards in the corners. But most of the time, he and Severson are controlling the game when they're on the ice. Been mutually beneficial.

That being said, while I'm thrilled with Smith, he could learn some things from Fox, mainly just simplifying in high stress portions of the game. It's not like he's some wildcard but as a whole, the NJ team sometimes leans too much on skill to get out of a jam when you really want to see the young players diagnose a high risk situation and be content to get out of it first, before attempting creativity. A fine line there.

Fox is fantastic and would rate him ahead of a lot of players, though.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
No but not by much. Fox is older and more polished but less dynamic. When people say dynamic, they're really referring to how many ways a guy can beat you and the unpredictability in their game (why so-called "dynamic" players have spotty defense mostly). I still see Smith as calibrating defensively, especially trying to figure out how to physically contain bigger forwards in the corners. But most of the time, he and Severson are controlling the game when they're on the ice. Been mutually beneficial.

That being said, while I'm thrilled with Smith, he could learn some things from Fox, mainly just simplifying in high stress portions of the game. It's not like he's some wildcard but as a whole, the NJ team sometimes leans too much on skill to get out of a jam when you really want to see the young players diagnose a high risk situation and be content to get out of it first, before attempting creativity. A fine line there.

Fox is fantastic and would rate him ahead of a lot of players, though.

I'll disagree a bit here. I want to see the young skilled guys try things here and there and see what they can get away with. If they make a mistake then so be it. They need to learn what works and what doesn't. The best way to do that is by trying things

Last edited:

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I thought it would take a year to convince me but I would take Ty Smith over Quinn Hughes moving forward. I love Quinn more offensively but Smith is miles better defensively. He has an elite stick defending. Maybe it helps having Severson but that isn't going to change for a long time.

I'll take that trade any day, and I like Ty Smith but Hughes plays top-line minutes against other teams top lines, Smith does not. Smith will never approach Hughes dynamic offensive play, Hughes is a top 5 NHL offensive producer from the blue line, as a 22 year old. Even if Smith plays well defensively when they stop sheltering his minutes, he will never be the overall player that Hughes is, not even close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad