Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
It's 100% true. Lowest ES TOI of the LS defenders again tonight, in a game we were chasing. And fewer ES minutes again than Jalen Chatfield.

He's playing the fewest minutes, the softest minutes, with a guy who was a healthy scratch during the bubble. Hughes-Benn is the 3rd pairing right now.

A game that was a blowout halfway through the second period? Whatever suits your narrative i guess. Has the same amount of EV as Schmidt and only trails Myers on the season.

Reactions: Regal

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Is everybody really surprised that our 21 year old 2nd year offensive defensemen isn't very good in his own zone? Last year he was (rightfully) played in generally sheltered minutes with one of the best defensive defensemen we've ever had. This year for some reason they keep trying to play him against scoring lines with Hamonic/Myers/Benn/Chatfield. As with most young offensive defensemen, his defensive game isn't developed yet.

In his prime he's not going to be a Scott Niedermayer 2-way defensemen, but he'll be better than this.

Reactions: canucklover123

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A game that was a blowout halfway through the second period? Whatever suits your narrative i guess. Has the same amount of EV as Schmidt and only trails Myers on the season.

Yes, because they started him in unsheltered high minutes for the first several games and he was ripped to shreds. I'm not saying he was on the 3rd pairing from the season opener.

Green made two major adjustments to try tightening the team up after the Montreal series defensive debacle - Gaudette out and Sutter to C, and dropping Hughes to the #3 pairing at ES and putting him back in more sheltered minutes.

It may or may not be a temporary thing, but Hughes is 100% on the 3rd pairing right now.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Yes, because they started him in unsheltered high minutes for the first several games and he was ripped to shreds. I'm not saying he was on the 3rd pairing from the season opener.

Green made two major adjustments to try tightening the team up after the Montreal series defensive debacle - Gaudette out and Sutter to C, and dropping Hughes to the #3 pairing at ES and putting him back in more sheltered minutes.

It may or may not be a temporary thing, but Hughes is 100% on the 3rd pairing right now.

Naw you're just cherry-picking ignoring score effect. In a few games that aren't blowouts/leads for the majority of the game, you'll see it normalize and default to calling it a temporary change. Laughable.

In 2 of the 3 games against OTT Motte had more EV icetime than Boeser! Motte is 1RW confirmed by MS!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Naw you're just cherry-picking ignoring score effect. In a few games that aren't blowouts/leads for the majority of the game, you'll see it normalize and default to calling it a temporary change. Laughable.

In 2 of the 3 games against OTT Motte had more EV icetime than Boeser! Motte is 1RW confirmed by MS!

Attempting to claim that the defensive pairing playing the fewest minutes in the easiest situations for multiple games in a row isn't currently the 3rd pairing is bizarre. That's really all there is to it.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Attempting to claim that the defensive pairing playing the fewest minutes in the easiest situations for multiple games in a row isn't currently the 3rd pairing is bizarre. That's really all there is to it.

Not when 4 of the 5 games have been blowouts and the other where Canucks were leading for 50+ minutes it isn't. Motte has had more ice time in 3 of the 5 games. Using this game is even more laughable Beagle had more ice time than Pettersson.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018

Well said

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I;m curious what AV would do with him. I could see people here lose their mind when he would bech him for his poor defensive play. But it; ok he is point machine, He does no need to play defence. We need him to rack up points and pay him 10m/year.:sarcasm:

LOL at the people who think he is more important than Petterson.
Petterson is the focus of all top defenders in the league while Hughes is a point machine wih sub par defence who needs and elite shutdown defender to help him.

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
Is he slower this year so far? He looks slower to me
Yes. He was already slower last year than he was in college (I go to UM and I've seen plenty of his games). Now he is even slower. People like to say Quinn's not known for his speed, but rather is known for his edgework. Well he was great at both in college. Now he's not even fast anymore. I've been worrying about his decline in speed for awhile having watched up for a long time, and now I think it's becoming apparent.

I hope it's because he's been adding too much weight, because it's probably not a good thing if he just happened to physically peak at 19 y/o.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
If he learns to play decent defence combined with his offensive talent( best in the league among defenders) he will be second most important player after Pettersson. That being said i hope Jimbo does not give him 9-10m/year.

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
I think he can be better than that but I still can't believe the amount of shit I took here a few months ago for having the nerve to say that - just maybe - Hughes wasn't a #1 NHL defender yet but still more of a 2nd pairing guy who was elite on the PP.
Well you would have been absolutely wrong back then because both his statistical production and analytics on the offensive and defensive end would have indicated that he was absolutely a high end #1 defenseman. If he kept playing at that pace it would be the same.

Unfortunately, he has regressed this year regardless of who he's been playing with (much of that is defensively). So if you're saying he's might be a second pairing guy now, I think you'd be correct even though people might not like it. Two posts above this one has my take on why he's regressed if you're interested.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
sooo he's an awful dman? got it.

hopefully Jimbo will leverage this when we try to re sign such a terrible dman.

likash

Apr 17, 2019

Who's saying that? He needs to work on his defensive game and needs to be sheltered a bit until he matures. I'm saying we should not be blinded by his talent and pretend he is Norris worthy. That kind of thinking and pom-poms waving is appreciated on canucks.com forum.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Right now, Hughes is playing very badly. When he plays well, people will acknowledge that just as they are recognizing that the opposite is true ATM. How hard is that to understand?

If he plays the rest of the season like he is now he does not deserve a long term, expensive contract. The best hope is that "Jimbo" is not here to negotiate it.

Reactions: timw33

lawrence

May 19, 2012
now he does not deserve a long term, expensive contract. The best hope is that "Jimbo" is not here to negotiate it.

true. if they both have bad seasons, we have to negotiate on that performance regardless.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Well you would have been absolutely wrong back then because both his statistical production and analytics on the offensive and defensive end would have indicated that he was absolutely a high end #1 defenseman. If he kept playing at that pace it would be the same.

Unfortunately, he has regressed this year regardless of who he's been playing with (much of that is defensively). So if you're saying he's might be a second pairing guy now, I think you'd be correct even though people might not like it. Two posts above this one has my take on why he's regressed if you're interested.

He hasn't regressed offensively this season and his defensive regression was already occurring in the second half of last season. I watched a couple of his NCAA games and didn't come away with the impression that he was a strong defender inside his own blue line; the surprise for me early last season was that he managed as well as he did. That came to a crashing halt, sort of in the manner that happens to some rookie hitters in baseball who have a strong start until pitchers discover their big weakness.

Some of his positioning and awareness issues will improve with experience but the lack of size is always going to be a problem.

Reactions: Ghetty Green and MS

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
looks pretty bad tonight. floating around half- speed. Does he always play like he doesnt really care, unless of course its a PP? I dont watch canucks much but with the candain division this year getting lots of viewings and aside from sens games he hasnt looked very impressive

SeawaterOnIce

Being invaded again.
Aug 28, 2011
Imagine Bieksa not having Willie Mitchell (along with Ohlund) the first few years of his career?

Hughes looks like Marc Andre Bergeron. Lots of dazzle, gets points but is brutal defensively.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Guy has been PPG for around 50 games now. Think he might be the best offensive D in the game. Need to get him a brodin/Tanev type partner ASAP. The myth that you just need to stick a heavy strong crease clearer with him is idiotic. He needs someone smart enough to get into the proper lanes to provide an outlet when he gets swarmed and someone who is great at breaking up passing lanes.

EmilN1

Feb 2, 2021
Hello:
Habs fan; I come in peace. I enjoy the draft and remember the debate about our 3rd overall pick in 2018. I remember Trevor Timmins, who is responsible for our draft, saying a player of Hughes’ size will always have problems defending, which I found odd for a head scout to say publicly as it might give the player more motivation, but I guess he was preparing the fanbase for not drafting Hughes. Do you think Kotkaniemi could one day be more valuable than Hughes? He has improved his skating but he is still quite weak, and they shelter him a lot. If he bulks up to 220 lbs, could he one day surpass Hughes?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hello:
Habs fan; I come in peace. I enjoy the draft and remember the debate about our 3rd overall pick in 2018. I remember Trevor Timmins, who is responsible for our draft, saying a player of Hughes’ size will always have problems defending, which I found odd for a head scout to say publicly as it might give the player more motivation, but I guess he was preparing the fanbase for not drafting Hughes. Do you think Kotkaniemi could one day be more valuable than Hughes? He has improved his skating but he is still quite weak, and they shelter him a lot. If he bulks up to 220 lbs, could he one day surpass Hughes?
Yes.

I think all Habs players are eventually going to be better than Canucks players.

Is that the feedback that you're looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->