Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I dunno if Pettersson is better - I used to think so but if you watched the game last night he was an absolute beast.........either way pretty thrilled we have them.

one oddity is that he didnt "hit the wall" in game 60, he is striving, I did not anticipate that from a guy coming from NCAA. Why? Pettersson is 6'2 and slight, you see him always fall forward, its either he's being impeded by hooks and grabs or he's not strong enough on his skates, thats so far the only knock on him, his skill is otherwise otherworldly, ahead of Hughes.

We always hear that QH's skating is effortless, that means he can maintain his effectiveness as the game wore on, like last night, he seemed to be on for the whole OT, at the end of the night you realized he played a whooping 27 mins.

Another less talked about aspect of great skaters is elusiveness, add to the fact that he has a lower CoG at 5'9, he's just hard to lay a hit on if he kept spinning away from you or move laterally away from an incoming check, he loses less stamina if he's not absorbing hits. I remember talking to Paul Kariya one time how he's dealing with the physical toll after coming back from the Suter check, and he said he learnt how to spin off off checks, like how a judo practictioner uses the flow of the incoming momentum against the person applying the force. Hedican is a great skater too, but his is just being his stride. In addition of a smooth stride, like Makar/Hedican, QH has insane pivots and edges, thats why it seems like he can go whichever direction he pleases on the ice. As an observer, I realize its as exciting seeing Bure getting separation on a breakaway as seeing Hughes do the same thing going backwards, or sideways away from a forechecker. Like a darting pinball, defying physics.

I think IF Makar didnt have his injury, and an extra 10 days during his bye week, he would be slowing down. I was full on expecting Hughes to hit the wall by now just like Pettersson. As it stands, since they are 20/21, I look at Pettersson with a higher projected ceiling, and Hughes being more consistent and unique beast, imagine a minute munching 5'9 rearguard.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
with his second assist last night he is now on pace for

81 games, 11 goals, 53 assists, 64 points (11/54/65 if you round up but you can't score half a point)

continuing at exactly this pace and not missing any games would give him

- the third highest rookie defenceman assist total, after larry murphy and chelios

- the sixth highest rookie defenceman point total, after murphy, leetch, gary suter, housley, and bourque, tied with chelios

- the second highest canucks defenceman assist total, after dennis kearns

- the highest canucks defenceman point total

- the highest canucks rookie assist total

- the highest second highest canucks rookie point total, behind petey

and he would be in the top 20 for both rookie assists and single season canucks assists

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Both players stepped into the NHL in their draft +2 seasons and Hughes is having a better rookie season than Pettersson. If you were starting an organization and could pick only one, it would be a tough call.

Luckily for us, we don’t have to choose. What a feeling knowing you have a franchise talent at the 2 most crucial positions on a team; 20 and 21 years of age. Unbelievable.

Easy call, Pettersson

Most if not the rest of the league will agree

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Hughes could get a bigger contract than Elias.
It's starting to look that way. Hughes could very well be a perennial PPG D-Man going forward. I'm serious. Putting up points just seems that effortless for him. We're getting to the point where the offense flows through him, not Pettersson.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I would be offering Hughes/Petterson a competitive 8 year deal on July 1st (when we can finalize an extension for EP/Hughes) before doing literally anything else this offseason. Nothing is more important and any move that commits money beyond next year is made before they are signed they are even stupider than I thought.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I would be offering Hughes/Petterson a competitive 8 year deal on July 1st (when we can finalize an extension for EP/Hughes) before doing literally anything else this offseason. Nothing is more important and any move that commits money beyond next year is made before they are signed they are even stupider than I thought.
I 100% agree.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Who's had a better rookie season?

Hughes is on a team with Pettersson, Miller, and overpaid #4D Myers

Pettersson was a on a team with ..?

Pettersson is the more valuable and more important player going forward.

Reactions: bh53

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Hughes is on a team with Pettersson, Miller, and overpaid #4D Myers

Pettersson was a on a team with ..?

Pettersson is the more valuable and more important player going forward.

That is true, Hughes has had more to work with. But if you want a fair, straight across comparison, who has had a bigger impact season this year?

As far as more valuable and more important, not sure on that. It’s a tough call. They are essentially the 2 most valuable, difficult assets to acquire in hockey.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
The starting point for each of them is 10M/yr imo

We simply won’t have the money to sign then to that contract when their ELCs are up. I personally predict bridge deals for both of them, based on my calculations it’s really the only way. The exception would be if they could ditch Eriksson, then they may be able to go long term with one of them.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I think would still go 3rd in a redraft after Dahlin/Svechnikov. Brady Tkachuk not TOO far behind at 4

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks find a way to sneak into the playoffs, it'll be basically one player who gets them there --Quinn Hughes. He's playing on another planet these days.

Not unlike a year ago, Pettersson is slumping as the checking tightens up in the last 20 games; Horvat is in a deep-freeze and so is his line; Virtanen has dried up; and as for the rest of the flotsam and jetsam on the third and fourth lines, scoring from them is basically an afterthought.

So with Boeser out for the regular season, it basically falls to Hughes, Miller and Markstrom to somehow will this team into the post-season. And Hughes has to be the guy, because Green is playing him 25-plus minutes a night.

He's basically a 20-year old rookie carrying this franchise on his back right now.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
We simply won’t have the money to sign then to that contract when their ELCs are up. I personally predict bridge deals for both of them, based on my calculations it’s really the only way. The exception would be if they could ditch Eriksson, then they may be able to go long term with one of them.

It's much smarter for our future to give them long term deals now, at a decent cap hit, opposed to bridge deals that will pay them slightly less, but when those deals are up, will cost us way more.

Of course knowing Benning's cap management, we're going to have the latter.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hughes is the franchise player.

Pettersson is elite. I don’t think he has that final top end gear that players like McDavid/MacKinnon have to simply take games over. He’ll have flashes, and he certainly scores a ton of points, but nothing I’ve seen this season leads me to believe he’ll be more than an 80-90 point player. Still a cornerstone, but not worth more than $10 million a season. Miller is arguably the more valuable forward when you look at the advanced stats (granted, he’s much older).

Hughes, on the other hand, is on pace for 65 points as a 20 year old rookie while playing 25 mins a game, and could break PPG as soon as next season. He has that killer instinct to drive the play and single-handedly change the outcome of games - that type of intangible, you pay through the nose for.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Pettersson is elite. I don’t think he has that final top end gear that players like McDavid/MacKinnon have to simply take games over. He’ll have flashes, and he certainly scores a ton of points, but nothing I’ve seen this season leads me to believe he’ll be more than an 80-90 point player. Still a cornerstone, but not worth more than $10 million a season. Miller is arguably the more valuable forward when you look at the advanced stats (granted, he’s much older).

Hughes, on the other hand, is on pace for 65 points as a 20 year old rookie while playing 25 mins a game, and could break PPG as soon as next season. He has that killer instinct to drive the play and single-handedly change the outcome of games - that type of intangible, you pay through the nose for.

So Pettersson is never gonna be better than he is this year?

Terrible take lol

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018

The bolded is not true at all. Pettersson outshines Miller in analytics that isolate a player from his environment (teammates, competition, zone starts etc).

300 TOI Min toi:

GAR:
Elias Pettersson - 19.2 (3rd among forwards)
J.T. Miller - 8.8 (58th among forwards)

EV RAPM GF/60:
Elias Pettersson - 0.284 (9th among forwardas
J.T. Miller - 0.156 (54th among forwards)

EV RAPM xG+-/60:
Elias Pettersson - 0.156 (69th among forwards)
J.T. Miller - 0.061 (150th among forwards)

EV RAPM C+-/60:
Elias Pettersson 2.91 (88th among forwards)
J.T. Miller 4.36 (44th among forwards)

Miller is having a good season analytically. However, I am not sure how you got the idea Miller is more valuable according to advanced stats.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Shudder to think what Colorado would look like if Ottawa gave them the 2018 pick rather than the 2019 one. Avs would have had to decide between Hughes and Tkachuk.

Imagine a pairing of Makar and Hughes?

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
A forward is easier to shut down than a defender. I've always believed that you have to build your team around defense first. Both Pettersson and Hughes are great players, and will be the core here for years so there's no point of comparing the two. They'll both have their up and downs. Who's to say Hughes won't run into sophomore slump? It was just a year ago, people pegged Boeser as a future 40 goal scorer. Core is basically set, just hope they figure it out.

I didn't expect Pettersson to be McDavid or MacKinnon. He doesn't need to be, just like how Hughes doesn't need to be Bobby Orr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->