Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Alex Pietrangelo.

UFA this summer. Benning has him atop the whiteboard.

If he signs, you roll with Demko.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If Tanev isnt an option then id go for Brett Pesce. 25 year old right handed shot stay at home dman.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What do the Canucks offer that Carolina will be interested in?
Last season, Canes had Faulk, Hamilton, Pesce, and TVR as RHD in the NHL and Fox in the system. Faulk and Fox are gone and TVR is likely gone after this year (UFA). Hamilton is injured this year and should be fine next year, but is a UFA after next season and will command a huge payday.

Pesce is the only RHD in Carolina signed long term so I doubt the Canes would move him, particularly since they were reportedly looking for a more defensive minded guy to play with Pesce (Brodin being one name brought up).

last season it made sense that A RHD in Carolina might be available. Now, not so much.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I wonder if Hughes (and others before him) change the way hockey is played in the next generation. If I'm a smaller skilled player I see what guys like Goodrow and Petterson go through as a skilled forward, cross-checks and slashes not being called all game, and then I see Hughes not getting beat up all game, I know what I would like better

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I wonder if Hughes (and others before him) change the way hockey is played in the next generation. If I'm a smaller skilled player I see what guys like Goodrow and Petterson go through as a skilled forward, cross-checks and slashes not being called all game, and then I see Hughes not getting beat up all game, I know what I would like better
Hughes is exceptionally good at avoiding contact, and at defending without initiating contact. Only a tiny number of players can do what he does. It's not just lateral quickness -- I think his puck skills help his at least as much as his skating.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Hughes is exceptionally good at avoiding contact, and at defending without initiating contact. Only a tiny number of players can do what he does. It's not just lateral quickness -- I think his puck skills help his at least as much as his skating.
I agree, but if I could, that's what I would try to live up to, not a center that is guaranteed to take a beating

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ferraro said like a month ago that the thing that impressed him the most about hughes this year isnt the skating or elusiveness.

It is the fact that Hughes is comfortable with opponents on his hip. Said that takes years to develop if you can at all.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Ferraro said like a month ago that the thing that impressed him the most about hughes this year isnt the skating or elusiveness.

It is the fact that Hughes is comfortable with opponents on his hip. Said that takes years to develop if you can at all.

Yeah, it's especially tough when you are small. You don't have the size to box players away from the puck, nor the reach to keep it away. It takes exceptional hockey IQ to make it work the way Hughes does. Hughes just knows his hands and feet are faster than his opponents - when they make a play for the puck, he stays one step ahead.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He is awesome player. I think he is already the Canucks best player. He and Miller are big additions.

I think tonight may have just shifted my stance to agree with you.

He was God Like tonight
5v5 HD scoring chances for = 9
5v5 HD scoring chances against = 1
Like what???????????

his xGF was more than double the highest forward.
Like those are Karlsson peak Ottawa type numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Before the season I predicted here that he will get 45 pts and got ridiculed. I thought I was being overzealous too. I cannot believe he past that number with 20+ games yet to go. I don't believe we've ever had two franchise players rostered at the same time. Sedins are superstars. Maybe Hank is franchise.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Before the season I predicted here that he will get 45 pts and got ridiculed. I thought I was being overzealous too. I cannot believe he past that number with 20+ games yet to go. I don't believe we've ever had two franchise players rostered at the same time. Sedins are superstars. Maybe Hank is franchise.

luongo?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Pettersson is better but Hughes is shiny new toy

Glad we have a #1 D

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Pettersson is better but Hughes is shiny new toy

Glad we have a #1 D

Both players stepped into the NHL in their draft +2 seasons and Hughes is having a better rookie season than Pettersson. If you were starting an organization and could pick only one, it would be a tough call.

Luckily for us, we don’t have to choose. What a feeling knowing you have a franchise talent at the 2 most crucial positions on a team; 20 and 21 years of age. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Kreator

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
He's on pace for 65 points, 1 less than Pettersson had last year (albeit he missed 11 games). He is heating up lately too, there is a chance Petey's rookie record is broken, by a defenseman nonetheless.

Absolutely mind boggling

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He's on pace for 65 points, 1 less than Pettersson had last year (albeit he missed 11 games). He is heating up lately too, there is a chance Petey's rookie record is broken, by a defenseman nonetheless.

Absolutely mind boggling
He'd already be on pace to beat EP's record if Green/Brown had him on PP1 to start the season.

Reactions: I am toxic

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It makes you wonder what kind of numbers he is going to put up over his career. This is a player who is far surpassing Erik Karlsson's numbers at the same age
Thank God we had Bracket here to draft a Petey and Hughes.

Reactions: Hansen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->