Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Quinn has better edge work than Bo or Jake. Quinn’s acceleration, especially coming out of turns, is unique.

I am just not seeing anything special in terms of speed or acceleration from a standstill. His agility is certainly stellar, and is an important quality for sure, but people thinking he is some speedster are going to be disappointed. In a straight ahead race, I doubt he beats Biega although it is certainly true that you don't get too many straight ahead races in games.

Reactions: Makar27

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I am just not seeing anything special in terms of speed or acceleration from a standstill. His agility is certainly stellar, and is an important quality for sure, but people thinking he is some speedster are going to be disappointed. In a straight ahead race, I doubt he beats Biega although it is certainly true that you don't get too many straight ahead races in games.

Quinn looks sneaky fast. He skates effortlessly (much like Coffey and Neidermeyer) and is moving quite fast, without appearing to be. He likely has had a lot of coaching from speed skaters and figure skaters, who have such perfect technique, they are extremely fast with (what seems to be) little effort. If you watch
Quinn closely, he sits down when skating. Then watch old video of Coffee. The great skaters almost glide along, but are actually applying tremendous force with each stride, because of their sitting creating extreme extension. Quinn is one of those very unique skating talents.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
Quinn looks sneaky fast. He skates effortlessly (much like Coffey and Neidermeyer) and is moving quite fast, without appearing to be. He likely has had a lot of coaching from speed skaters and figure skaters, who have such perfect technique, they are extremely fast with (what seems to be) little effort. If you watch
Quinn closely, he sits down when skating. Then watch old video of Coffee. The great skaters almost glide along, but are actually applying tremendous force with each stride, because of their sitting creating extreme extension. Quinn is one of those very unique skating talents.

It would be unfair to judge him on the game last night, as a letdown was/is only natural, but he was constantly beaten to loose pucks. None of this is to say that he won't be a good/great player, or that he is not a great skater, but the narrative that he is a speed demon is a false one in my view.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
His slapshot wind up is really short, not getting optimal power out of it. However, as a dman on the point in the offensive zone I dont mind it as long as he gets the puck on net. Taking a big windup from the point isnt optimal as it gives defence more time to react. Really dmen should be using snapshots more than anything to get through the screen as quick as possible, unless its a one timer.

If he can wrist it as hard as he passes I dont think there will be a problem going forward

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
His slapshot wind up is really short, not getting optimal power out of it. However, as a dman on the point in the offensive zone I dont mind it as long as he gets the puck on net. Taking a big windup from the point isnt optimal as it gives defence more time to react. Really dmen should be using snapshots more than anything to get through the screen as quick as possible, unless its a one timer.

If he can wrist it as hard as he passes I dont think there will be a problem going forward

hes definitely going to have to work on his shot...its a muffin

Reactions: Makar27

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Quinn has better edge work than Bo or Jake. Quinn’s acceleration, especially coming out of turns, is unique.
Quinn's back-skating is beautiful.
His edgework is similar to Crosby's, for example, this shuffle here.

I can watch his skating all day.

Note: Canucks former prospect Johnathan Dahlen's also had nice edgework.

Reactions: Grantham

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

he also can change speed while skating with the puck, seemingly whenever he wants, which is about as elite of a skating skill as there is. i mean, a lot of people can "shift gears," as don cheery calls it, in open ice when they are going in a straight line wide. but bobby orr, coffey, bure, niedermayer, mcdavid, those guys do it effortlessly and in multiple situations, and from what i've seen so far quinn has that ability.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
did green really nearly bench hughes for the third? i'm i'm aquilini i'm sending green a text telling him to play the kid, none of this over-coaching with 5 games left. quinn, bo, boeser, petey are pretty much all the fans have left to look forward to for next season. let the kid play, the fans waited all season for him to arrive.

fricken green, can't wait for him and benning to be gonzo.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
did green really nearly bench hughes for the third? i'm i'm aquilini i'm sending green a text telling him to play the kid, none of this over-coaching with 5 games left. quinn, bo, boeser, petey are pretty much all the fans have left to look forward to for next season. let the kid play, the fans waited all season for him to arrive.

Yep, and it ticked me off. It was sweet justice as Hutton and Schenn got scored on in the 3rd when the benching started.

And Quinn did nothing to deserve it. Green and his cronies were trying to protect a 2 goal lead in a meaningless game. Actually they dropped us down another pick in the draft by playing Edler 30 minutes and Markstrom.

Infuriating to say the least. See how the crowd erupted in OT when Hughes got to play again? We want to be entertained :clap:

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC

A solid wrist shot that's accurate is all he needs get it to the net make things happen it doesn't require a cannon not when he can move the puck and skate as well as he can.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
3 points in 3 games. He's showing dynamic game breaking offensive ability. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that he'll be the best defenseman this franchise has ever seen? WHY is NOBODY talking about him?

Oliewud

May 13, 2013

I was pissed off about this too but I just checked his ice time and he played 18:34

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
3 points in 3 games. He's showing dynamic game breaking offensive ability. Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that he'll be the best defenseman this franchise has ever seen? WHY is NOBODY talking about him?

Yes, Quinn is s very special player, who I have been on record here saying as such from the moment we drafted him. He will be a 60 plus point guy every year.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the weird thing watching hughes is that he is an undersized 19 year old dman in his first 3 games who to me plays like a veteran. he is right in the play and reacting to it. he looks calmer and better composed than hutton. it's weird to watch.

pettersson is like that too, especially defensively, playing a game years ahead of his age, but offensively pettersson still seems young and awkward a lot with bursts of passion that often turn out to be overreach. quinn so far just looks poised in both ends.

i've seen teenaged rookies before and even very good ones and they all looked like teenagers with immature often awkward games and were succeeding on sheer effort and talent with the polish and maturity to round out their game come. these guys are something different. it's like hughes and pettersson are both old souls. the canucks have never had guys who look like that as teenagers. when their physical maturity catches up with their brains it could be truly amazing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You've got to be impressed by the kid's supreme confidence...and it's not empty braggadocio......said he'd be better by game four, and he is....and said after last night's game where he had two assists and was the best d-man on the ice, that "it's shame he hadn't been around for 30 games this season, because he feels he'd really be hitting his stride."

I'm beginning to think that if Hughes had signed with the Canucks instead of going back to Michigan, he'd have had as much of an impact on this team as Pettersson, in his rookie season. Who knows? They might even have been knocking on the playoff door?

E40

Nov 18, 2018
Hughes is exactly what the team needs especially with Petterson and Boeser on the come up. So many little plays stand out through only a couple games, there's no doubt he's an NHL level talented defenseman. The passes and moving the rush and creating plays from nothing.

My opinion on his skating is that it's as advertised. He's elite at skating the puck away from opponents and can shift gears at will with or without the puck. It's pretty rare for a defenseman let alone a rookie teenage defenseman to escape and rush it out the zone so effortlessly.

Here's hoping he will build on these games for next season, he seems like he's very coachable in his interviews.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He's played 4 games

Even before he played one game for us it was clear he was our best D man. Quinn is a unique player. We have not seen a player like him here before. Whether it’s his fourth, fortieth, or four hundredth game will not change that Quinn is our best D man EVER.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Hughes is exactly what the team needs especially with Petterson and Boeser on the come up. So many little plays stand out through only a couple games, there's no doubt he's an NHL level talented defenseman. The passes and moving the rush and creating plays from nothing.

My opinion on his skating is that it's as advertised. He's elite at skating the puck away from opponents and can shift gears at will with or without the puck. It's pretty rare for a defenseman let alone a rookie teenage defenseman to escape and rush it out the zone so effortlessly.

Here's hoping he will build on these games for next season, he seems like he's very coachable in his interviews.

I agree on your point about his skating.

Regarding his coachability, I think his upbringing with a dad who was a development coach helped him understand the value of listening to your coaches.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Sooooo you're saying you'd be a shitty meddlesome owner?

Coooooooool.

(Green prioritizing Hughes being accountable over your personal entertainment doesn't make him a bad coach.)

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Even before he played one game for us it was clear he was our best D man. Quinn is a unique player. We have not seen a player like him here before. Whether it’s his fourth, fortieth, or four hundredth game will not change that Quinn is our best D man EVER.

Terrible expectation setting. "Clear best D man" ? What kind of delusional world do you live in?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Terrible expectation setting. "Clear best D man" ? What kind of delusional world do you live in?

An alcohol induced one. :laugh:
No, just a huge fan of guys who are phenomenal skaters, have elite puck skills, compete at the highest level, have great character, and have off the charts hockey IQ.
Plus, our franchise has never had a guy who’s been in the conversation for a Norris. Quinn will put up a lot of points, which seems to be important in Norris voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad