Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hischier is one of the worst 1st overall picks in awhile. Only Yakupov is worse imo.

Sure hes fine 2 way player, but I don't think I would trade him 1 for 1 at all for anyone on the Canucks. Any trade would be a trade down in skill so thats a hard pass
Wait, what? You wouldn't trade anyone on the Canucks for Nico Hischier because it would be a trade down in skill?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Wait, what? You wouldn't trade anyone on the Canucks for Nico Hischier because it would be a trade down in skill?
Schaller says hold my beer (sadly, he would be far from the only one on the roster who could say that, vet or prospect).

I’m content with having one Hughes. Should be a good one assuming Benning gets a solid vet to pair him up to help break him in (Edler and Tanev have a lot of mileage on them now). Should be an easy task for Benning right?

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver

See my previous post. Wouldn't trade 1 for 1 for anyone in our core (Horvat, EP, Boeser, Hughes, Markstrom)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes just 'blind luck' seems to have more to do with first round success than anything else.

First Pettersson, who clearly should have been at the top his draft class in 2017; and then Quinn Hughes, who 'fell' to the Canucks at #7 only because the Coyotes and Habs were desperate for center icemen and 'reached' for their two picks.

Can the Canucks get 'lucky' three times in a row? Might happen if the teams ahead of them overload on centers and d-men. Three best wingers in the draft after Kakko are Caufield, Podkolzin and Boldy. Good chance one of them is still on the board at #10.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Sometimes just 'blind luck' seems to have more to do with first round success than anything else.

First Pettersson, who clearly should have been at the top his draft class in 2017; and then Quinn Hughes, who 'fell' to the Canucks at #7 only because the Coyotes and Habs were desperate for center icemen and 'reached' for their two picks.

Can the Canucks get 'lucky' three times in a row? Might happen if the teams ahead of them overload on centers and d-men. Three best wingers in the draft after Kakko are Caufield, Podkolzin and Boldy. Good chance one of them is still on the board at #10.

It really goes to show the price to be paid when a GM reaches for position at the draft. Of course we are living that with Juolevi. Really hoping Benning has learned a lesson and doesn't reach for a defenceman at 10 with better forwards with first line potential on the board.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

I think it was bias against Pettersson's and Hughes' size, more than luck. When at the top of the draft, I think teams drafting high (choosing amongst the best 2 or 3 players in the world eligible) tend to stay away from question marks... and for many organizations, size is seen as a question mark.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
We got Reinhart at the very tail end of his career when he was not at his best. I think Hughes will definately be better in a Canuck uniform before he is through.
Then he'll be the best d-man the Canucks have ever had... not a lofty expectation to be honest, since all that is, is a true number 1, which I think Hughes definitely has the potential to be.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think it was bias against Pettersson's and Hughes' size, more than luck. When at the top of the draft, I think teams drafting high (choosing amongst the best 2 or 3 players in the world eligible) tend to stay away from question marks... and for many organizations, size is seen as a question mark.
The size bias against EP was the dumbest thing ever
He was 6”2 at the time, surely the GMs knew that he could fill out his frame within a few years

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It really goes to show the price to be paid when a GM reaches for position at the draft. Of course we are living that with Juolevi. Really hoping Benning has learned a lesson and doesn't reach for a defenceman at 10 with better forwards with first line potential on the board.
There is no proof that the Canucks "reached for position". They felt that the asset they were drafting would be worth more and harder to accumulate than Tkachuk, when all was said and done. They were obviously wrong but that doesn't mean they drafted by position.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
There is no proof that the Canucks "reached for position". They felt that the asset they were drafting would be worth more and harder to accumulate than Tkachuk, when all was said and done. They were obviously wrong but that doesn't mean they drafted by position.

lol in other words you just said they drafted by position by thinking a defenceman was a better asset than drafting the clearly better ranked player with a far better junior track record and pedigree. Juolevi played one good tournament.

Reactions: Seattle Totems

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

There is ample proof they drafted by position. Benning doesn't have a poker face. In his interviews with local media leading up to the draft he all but outright said "we are taking a D-man". They were telegraphing "D-men" for months. Even immediately before the draft if you listened to his interviews on local radio it was clear they were coming out of the draft with a D-man. I commented on it at the time though I mistakenly thought they were looking at Sergachev.

Now things may have changed if Dubois fell but I believe they were drafting by perceived organizational need rather than BPA.

Reactions: I in the Eye

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
There is ample proof they drafted by position. Benning doesn't have a poker face. In his interviews with local media leading up to the draft he all but outright said "we are taking a D-man". They were telegraphing "D-men" for months. Even immediately before the draft if you listened to his interviews on local radio it was clear they were coming out of the draft with a D-man. I commented on it at the time though I mistakenly thought they were looking at Sergachev.

... and, not to derail the thread, but it seems that this year will be exactly the same: everyone now knows that Benning wants a defenseman and will reach for one at ten, rather than trading down a few spots, acquiring an asset, and drafting the same player.

More importantly, for people who've been watching the Worlds regularly, how has Hughes looked in his own zone?

Reactions: tantalum

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

Now things may have changed if Dubois fell but I believe they were drafting by perceived organizational need rather than BPA.

... and this year they are telegraphing that they will take a dman in the first... and if not the first, it'll be in the 2nd.

Reactions: tantalum

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
He was 6”2 at the time, surely the GMs knew that he could fill out his frame within a few years
Fill out to 170lbs? His brother is 25 years old and listed at 6'2 170lbs on elite prospects.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If PLD fell we'd have made the trade Subban. Jim wanted and got a dman, if the Subban trade was not an option he was taking one in the draft.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
6'2 with narrow hips and narrow sholders does not translate into "filling" out his frame. Petey will always be wiry, he will never be know for his strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad