Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I know 'zone exits' are not a sexy stat, and they sure don't give out awards for who can do them the best, but having a D-man that can consistently do that is such a game changer. There have been so many nights in the last 5 years (I'm sure we've all had them) watching this team and just feeling so deeply frustrated watching the Canucks trying to somehow get the puck up the ice in a manner that doesn't involved a dump in or a drop pass. We've been too easy to play against for too many years.

Quinn Hughes positive influence on this team is going to be felt in more ways than one.

The Canucks looked like a completely different team that first game QH stepped on the ice. Schenn played the support role to perfection.

The whole team was making crisper passes, in particular D to D on the offensive blue line. Along with the zone exits you mention, highly underrated.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Hischier + unprotected 2020 NJ first round pick+ one decent prospect

Huh? Hischier has more value than Quinn does today.

I am guessing you meant Quinn + 2020 1st + prospect ...for...Hischier. If so, that would be close, but probably too much to Devils. Quinn+2020 1st might do it for Nico.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Huh? Hischier has more value than Quinn does today.

I am guessing you meant Quinn + 2020 1st + prospect ...for...Hischier. If so, that would be close, but probably too much to Devils. Quinn+2020 1st might do it for Nico.
yeah, get out of here
Hischier will top out as a good 2C
I've watched him a number of times the past two seasons, he is way over hyped by devils fans.

Even if you just look at stats, he is arguably the second worst 1st overall pick after Yakupov post 2005 lockout

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
what's with devil's fans and randomly coming to our board to overrate their own players

i don't even like quinn hughes that much relative to some people here but there's no realistic package i'd trade to the devil's -- we aren't a match unless it's ty smith + an insane amount of picks

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
yeah, get out of here
I've watched him a number of times the past two seasons, he is way over hyped by devils fans.

Even if you just look at stats, he is arguably the second worst 1st overall pick after Yakupov post 2005 lockout

His stats are actually quite good for his age. He is already one of the better two-way centers in the league. If you are going to only count goals or points, yes, you could make the argument that you are trying to make. But he just posted +0 season on team that was -53 as a team. Even strength, the Devils with Nico were a 53% GF% team, 41% without Nico. And his 2nd season even-strength point production (0.54 PPG) was similar to John Tavares (0.52). He would be a fantastic 2C on top-flight team.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
His stats are actually quite good for his age. He is already one of the better two-way centers in the league. If you are going to only count goals or points, yes, you could make the argument that you are trying to make. But he just posted +0 season on team that was -53 as a team. Even strength, the Devils with Nico were a 53% GF% team, 41% without Nico. And his 2nd season even-strength point production (0.54 PPG) was similar to John Tavares (0.52). He would be a fantastic 2C on top-flight team.
Cool
But im not gonna change my view on him because of your comments, and you should not try to convince me because it is pointless

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
what's with devil's fans and randomly coming to our board to overrate their own players

i don't even like quinn hughes that much relative to some people here but there's no realistic package i'd trade to the devil's -- we aren't a match unless it's ty smith + an insane amount of picks
The devils board have a salty view on EP
I wonder why....

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

He's a solid and underrated player but we already have two very good centers -- he's not going to flourish in 3rd line minutes here and it's not like we're going to demote the player we've marketed as our captain in Horvat to that position either.

We have very little in the name of defence and most likely won't be picking one this year. Hughes needs to stay unless another defenceman is involved. Our regime has also shown absolutely no ability to trade or sign competent defencemen either so we're basically forced to hang on to the ones we have.

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
He's a solid and underrated player but we already have two very good centers -- he's not going to flourish in 3rd line minutes here and it's not like we're going to demote the player we've marketed as our captain in Horvat to that position either.

We have very little in the name of defence and most likely won't be picking one this year. Hughes needs to stay unless another defenceman is involved. Our regime has also shown absolutely no ability to trade or sign competent defencemen either so we're basically forced to hang on to the ones we have.

Someone was suggesting Hughes for Hischier suggestion. Not me. I was giving "don't think Devils do that" response. Makes sense for neither team.

I do think Ben Hutton could be a match, but can save that for another board.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
yeah, get out of here

I’m not sure I’d rate Dmen of Johnson and Ekblad ahead. If it’s just forwards then it’s a fair assessment. The forward ahead of Nico would be who? RNH?

I would think he has a shot of being better than the Nuge so long as Sheroncan put together a decent enough team.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I’m not sure I’d rate Dmen of Johnson and Ekblad ahead. If it’s just forwards then it’s a fair assessment. The forward ahead of Nico would be who? RNH?

I would think he has a shot of being better than the Nuge so long as Sheroncan put together a decent enough team.
RNH is one of the most underrated player in the leage IMO so I have to disagree here

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
RNH is one of the most underrated player in the leage IMO so I have to disagree here
Nuge has had literally no team success in his 8 years in the nhl. So I see him in a different light. Cause if Leon and McDavid play together it should mean that Nuge anchors line 2.

Aside of the Nuge I don’t see Nico catching any of MacKinnon, Tavares, Kane, Stamkos, Hall in terms of #1 picks. Just the Nuge.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Hischier is one of the worst 1st overall picks in awhile. Only Yakupov is worse imo.

Sure hes fine 2 way player, but I don't think I would trade him 1 for 1 at all for anyone on the Canucks. Any trade would be a trade down in skill so thats a hard pass

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hischier is one of the worst 1st overall picks in awhile. Only Yakupov is worse imo.

Sure hes fine 2 way player, but I don't think I would trade him 1 for 1 at all for anyone on the Canucks. Any trade would be a trade down in skill so thats a hard pass
The other forwards we are talking about are Mathews, McDavid, macKinnon, RNH, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin, Nash, Kovalchuk since 2001.

Right now he’s only ahead of Yakupov in terms of first overal since then. I still believe he can catch the Nuge. Aside from him I don’t see him being better than the others since the millennium. That’s pretty damn high caliber company.

Last edited:

Josepho

Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

i don't believe you phrased this correctly

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Does core = foundational? Cause I’d consider trading sutter for Nico

Oof, that would be a real tough one to stomach. Would look real hard at trading our foundational Sutter for a young guy like Nico. Losing a player like Sutter would be DEVASTATING.

:sarcasm:

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Oof, that would be a real tough one to stomach. Would look real hard at trading our foundational Sutter for a young guy like Nico. Losing a player like Sutter would be DEVASTATING.

:sarcasm:
New Jersey probably have to add more, throw in let's say...Taylor Hall

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This is going to be an unpopular comment, but I'm relieved to have Quinn playing here without his brother. If we'd been lucky enough to win the lottery, and if I was GM, I'd choose Kakko. Sometimes family members being on the same team can be awkward.

The Sedins were a unique case.
Unpopular... but not alone.
I was silently hoping we won the #2 pick in the draft lottery so we wouldn’t have the pressure of passing up Hughes while reaping the benefits of Kakko as our pick.

Reactions: Canuckle1970
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->