Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
25 is probably an over exaggeration for a full season average, but he’ll certainly eclipse that mark in a few games next year. Heiskanen and Chabot were around 24min/game while Dahlin was right around 21. I expect he’ll settle somewhere betweeen them at 22/23. Most college guys struggle in the second half of the season after making the leap. It’ll be interesting to see how Hughes handles it.
There is the possibility that we’ll have a bunch of injuries on the blueline (like that’s never happened since going back to even before Nonis) that he’ll get increased time. Still think we shouldn’t rush this potentially very special player. Look at a bigger kid in Boeser who looked gassed at times during this past season (though he might’ve been playing thru an injury-conditioning should improve as he gets more experienced) & he plays an easier position (wing).

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I know 'zone exits' are not a sexy stat, and they sure don't give out awards for who can do them the best, but having a D-man that can consistently do that is such a game changer. There have been so many nights in the last 5 years (I'm sure we've all had them) watching this team and just feeling so deeply frustrated watching the Canucks trying to somehow get the puck up the ice in a manner that doesn't involved a dump in or a drop pass. We've been too easy to play against for too many years.

Quinn Hughes positive influence on this team is going to be felt in more ways than one.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
Quinn is a special talent. I cannot wait to watch him grow.

Dmen that skate like this and control games IE karlsson are probably my favourite type of players to watch. There’s something mesmerizing about watching guys like this.

They are like the quarterback of a football team or a point guard of a basketball team.
Quinn is not only a PP quarterback, he is an ES quarterback too.

On a sidenote, when Hughes made his awesome play for his first NHL point, the crowd was "Hooing" and chanting "Hughes Hughes Hughes".

Imagine when Jett Woo comes on board and if he gets paired with Hughes and they both get in on a goal, the croud will be WooHoo'ing. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kreator

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Boeser and 10th OA for 1st OA . Would you guys do it

As tempting as that is I'd pass as a Canucks fan. It's just too much of a risk giving up a guaranteed 30 plus goal scorer in Boeser and a good prospect we'll get at ten for Hughes who might or might not be as good as Boeser. The tenth pick in itself could even be the best player out of the 3 nothing is guaranteed here and Canucks need more prospects not less. Were not in a position to be giving up 2 for 1 just yet. Doubt Devils would do it either the risk is just to high for them to if Hughes pans out.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Makes no sense to trade Boeser then to put Hughes on the wing lol. If a trade is for Hughes Horvat is going the other way

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
quinn will be the first to make it to UFA status. So they can meet up in NJ in a few years.

If its between Van and NJ theres no chance the Hughes bro chooses NJ.
They want the spotlight of Canadian market, it was one of the first thing Quinn mentioned when Van drafted him. They went to play in the biggest stages.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
This is going to be an unpopular comment, but I'm relieved to have Quinn playing here without his brother. If we'd been lucky enough to win the lottery, and if I was GM, I'd choose Kakko. Sometimes family members being on the same team can be awkward.

The Sedins were a unique case.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
i personally f***ing hate my brother and i find it weird how people by default assume players will 100% want to play with their own siblings and bend over backwards for it.

Reactions: bh53

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
i personally ****ing hate my brother and i find it weird how people by default assume players will 100% want to play with their own siblings and bend over backwards for it.

Might have something to do w. The 2 greatest Canuck happen to be identical twin brothers. Just a hunch tho

Reactions: hellstick

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i’m still sad that geoff courtnall left for st louis so soon after we got russ

i’m still mad at pat quinn for drafting libor polasek instead of valeri bure

i still think having pronger, kariya, fedorov, and subban’s brothers here as bait was a good idea

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i personally ****ing hate my brother and i find it weird how people by default assume players will 100% want to play with their own siblings and bend over backwards for it.

It's not that hard to figure out whether a kid likes their brother. And some brothers don't want to carve out their own careers. That was one of stated reasons for Brandon Tanev not signing here.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This is going to be an unpopular comment, but I'm relieved to have Quinn playing here without his brother. If we'd been lucky enough to win the lottery, and if I was GM, I'd choose Kakko. Sometimes family members being on the same team can be awkward.

The Sedins were a unique case.

Yeah well, not drafting the BPA because of perceived sibling issues is pretty much guaranteed to be an unpopular opinion.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Boeser and 10th OA for 1st OA . Would you guys do it

Hard to imagine any team would prefer Boeser/10th pick over 1st overall. Maybe in other years, but not today when there is a player of Jack Hughes' caliber available. For 2019, it would take another player or 1st rounder to get done.

Honestly, doesn't make much sense for either side.

Chuck Feathers

May 2, 2019
Hard to imagine any team would prefer Boeser/10th pick over 1st overall. Maybe in other years, but not today when there is a player of Jack Hughes' caliber available. For 2019, it would take another player or 1st rounder to get done.

Honestly, doesn't make much sense for either side.

I disagree, that's an excellent deal for NJ who would still get a very good prospect at #10 and a guaranteed 1st liner in Boeser who could well be the better player than Hughes who could bust, even 1st OA do sometimes.

Horvat and the 10th for 1st OA and the 34th OA (NJ has 3 2nd rounders this year) might make some sense though, but I would not want to give up Bo or Brock.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
What about Quinn Hughes to the Devils? Would the Canucks entertain an offer and if so, what would it take?

Nope. Canucks have never had a defenceman like Hughes before and we aren't going to give that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad