Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Doesn't really matter considering physical peak is probably in the early to mid 20s for most people. It's not like guys 33 are stronger than guys 23. Quinn's obstacle is his defensive IQ. Not size

Yeah but you're selecting the upper end of your range. How many players are 19 vs 23?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Also, getting called out for ‘negativity’ and ‘bias’ for saying this player projects at a level similar to a player as good as Tyson Barrie but that I think he’ll have more adjustment issues than some people are expecting because of his size takes me back to when people were literally freaking out because I had the nerve to compare Cody Hodgson to Daymond Langkow rather than putting him in the HHOF before he had played a game.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Also, getting called out for ‘negativity’ and ‘bias’ for saying this player projects at a level similar to a player as good as Tyson Barrie but that I think he’ll have more adjustment issues than some people are expecting because of his size takes me back to when people were literally freaking out because I had the nerve to compare Cody Hodgson to Daymond Langkow rather than putting him in the HHOF before he had played a game.

Lol who is accusing you of bias?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Oh, come on.

The WCs finished on May 20, almost 2 weeks before the combine. CHL playoffs were still going on and the Memorial Cup hadn’t started yet.

All those other players who were still playing at that time made the combine. And the guys in the CHL had in many cases played nearly double the games that Hughes had.

There have been *numerous* cases over the years of guys with surprising measurements at the combine. It’s a big deal.

Hughes didn’t go to the combine because his agents (wisely) decided he had everything to lose and nothing to gain by having his true measurements posted and by having his tiny frame struggle badly in the fitness testing.

Personally I think the combine is kinda stupid and a place where bad drafting decisions get made based on things that aren’t playing hockey. I couldn’t care less how many chin-ups he can do. But if you think that decision was about ‘played in the World Championships’, *your* bias is showing.

so you're creating your own narrative and believing it, good job.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
so you're creating your own narrative and believing it, good job.

You actually, honestly, believe the complete tripe that he didn’t go to the combine because he played at the World Championships 2 weeks before? Even though pretty much every guy who plays in the Memorial Cup which goes much later is always there?

The first healthy top-end prospect ever not to participate? And it just happens to be the guy with the biggest size/strength question marks ever?

I’ve got a bridge I’d like to sell you.

Did you think Dave Gagner was the key to the Pavel Bure deal, too?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You actually, honestly, believe the complete tripe that he didn’t go to the combine because he played at the World Championships 2 weeks before? Even though pretty much every guy who plays in the Memorial Cup which goes much later is always there?

The first healthy top-end prospect ever not to participate? And it just happens to be the guy with the biggest size/strength question marks ever?

I’ve got a bridge I’d like to sell you.

Did you think Dave Gagner was the key to the Pavel Bure deal, too?

I think its equally preposterous to think he skipped the combine because of his size and strength.

member 290103

I think its equally preposterous to think he skipped the combine because of his size and strength.

But why would that be "preposterous?" Wouldn't that be a prime reason not to attend the combine? (Not wanting to look bad before the draft?)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why aren't you questioning where those other sources are pulling their data? Why are they assumed to be more official when you don't know?

I don't take any source as definitive here. To me, NHL.com is inaccurate because they do not have his combine results. They are pulling his height number from somewhere else. Eliteprospects and HockeyDB also pull their numbers from somewhere. It's time to figure out where all of them are getting their data. I'm looking into this.

The interesting thing to me is that Eliteprospects and HockeyDB corroborate his 5'10" height, and they are 4 lbs apart on weight. They are aligned while NHL.com is not.

Further, there is Canucks site source: Prospect Profile: Quinn Hughes

Then this NHL.com profile source: Quintin Hughes Stats and News

All at 5'10" for height.

He’s closer to 5’8 than 5’10. There’s a reason he skipped the combine measurements.

He hasn't skipped other measurement tests. The numbers from nhl.com, elite prospects and hockeyDB come from somewhere.

Speculating that he's closer to 5'8" than he is to 5'10" is just that, speculation. It has no basis in fact... unless you have a source?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Did he shrink since the wc last year? That probably cemented his draft status. Maybe it makes a difference but arguing whether he is 5"8 or 5"10 definitely does not. The 1st overall this year and the current hart favorite are undersized player. You would think we would have learnt from the EP experience but still trying to define players by their measurments.

The fact that you are relating this to EP shows that you do not understand how measurements are important in projecting performance. The height variable is a lot more significant based on data studies. This goes back to Rob Vollman. It's not a new understanding.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He's as much 5'10 as Phil Housley was and Tyler Motte is.

Nice thing is he's an even better skater (not by much re Housley) and he uses a longer stick.

Would you guys trade him to Colorado for Makar if they get Jack in the lottery?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
2018USNJT_Photo.jpg

Bottom Row (From L-R): Jake Oettinger, Patrick Harper, Trent Frederic, Logan Brown, alternate captain Ryan Lindgren, captain Joey Anderson, head coach Bob Motzko, alternate captain Adam Fox, alternate captain Kieffer Bellows, Will Lockwood, Jeremy Swayman, Joseph Woll
Middle Row (From L-R): Media officer Jon Gomez, Quinn Hughes, Mikey Anderson, Casey Mittelstadt, Josh Norris, Dylan Samberg, Riley Tufte,Brady Tkachuk, Max Jones, Andrew Peeke, Ryan Poehling, Scott Perunovich, Kailer Yamamoto, general manager Jim Johannson

Looks exactly the same height as Scott Perunavich who is listed at 5'9"

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
2018USNJT_Photo.jpg

Bottom Row (From L-R): Jake Oettinger, Patrick Harper, Trent Frederic, Logan Brown, alternate captain Ryan Lindgren, captain Joey Anderson, head coach Bob Motzko, alternate captain Adam Fox, alternate captain Kieffer Bellows, Will Lockwood, Jeremy Swayman, Joseph Woll
Middle Row (From L-R): Media officer Jon Gomez, Quinn Hughes, Mikey Anderson, Casey Mittelstadt, Josh Norris, Dylan Samberg, Riley Tufte,Brady Tkachuk, Max Jones, Andrew Peeke, Ryan Poehling, Scott Perunovich, Kailer Yamamoto, general manager Jim Johannson

Quite the obsession you have w Quinn’s height

Reactions: Zanon

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Hughes didn’t go to the combine because his agents (wisely) decided he had everything to lose and nothing to gain by having his true measurements posted and by having his tiny frame struggle badly in the fitness testing.
Perhaps? For the same reason, Lauri Markkanen did not participate in the NBA combine.

"The reason is that we think it would not be in Lauri's interests to go there. He continues his training and preparation for possible private meetings with teams." - Michael Lelchitski

And i don't think many Bulls fans are disappointed with him now after all the records last season.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

C'mon Sting101, this is supposition.

There are plenty of sources, vetted sources, that one can point to and make a case. Picture measurements is not one of them. Or rather, should not be.

You're talking about a 1 inch difference and comparing two players at opposite ends of the row. How accurate do you think that is?

Go to the records sting. It's the only way.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's actually very curious that Hughes didn't even show up to get measured. Was there another prospect who was considered a potential top 5 pick and sure-fire top 10 pick who skipped the measurements? There were certainly prospects in the past who were given a pass for a poor combine performance

The question that will forever be left unanswered is whether Hughes would have been drafted higher or fallen further in the draft had he participated in the combine? Personally, I don't think it would have changed anything. Would the Canucks have drafted Boqvist if Boqvist had the better combine? I'ts not like Hughes can compete with Dobson or Bouchard anyways.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yeah, they are the same size, both are listed as being 5'9" and 5' 10" depending where you look. I really wish we'd drafted Perunovich with our second, we could have both of them right now, though I do like Woo.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

I didn't accuse you of being biased/negative because of your projection (which you didn't mention once in your other posts so clearly that's not what I was referencing, don't circle jerk), I did so because you have a tendency to downplay anything this player does. For example, choosing to believe he's closer to 5'8" than 5'10" because he skipped the combine, which is pure conjecture. You don't like this player, he doesn't fit your mold of a top dman, this has been clear since the draft and you remind everyone about this reasonably frequently - and that's you're right to do so, but it's my right to call you out on it.

Reactions: Ryan Miller*

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
It's safer to be pessimistic than optimistic if you're a Canucks fans because we've been burned a lot and often for the past 40+ years.

Being a homer is fine, but you have to have reasonable expectations. Quinn Hughes had more hype than Pettersson during the prospects training camp believe it or not.
So no one expected Pettersson to be as good as he is because we had reasonable expectations for him and it's great to see him exceed those expectations.

It's more fair to our fan base and Quinn Hughes if we all temper expectations and let him become his own player instead of crowning him to be the next Bobby Orr.
Because he played in NA and not many would have seen Pettersson in Sweden?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I love how Benningsters have picked up the "narrative" term and are trying it in sentences to see what it means.

I love how any disagreement turns into a pleb calling someone a "Benningster", for what it's worth, I do hope he is relieved from the Canucks. Just because I don't spend majority of my time complaining on a Internet forum about Canucks doesn't mean I don't see the issues with the team.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
C'mon Sting101, this is supposition.

There are plenty of sources, vetted sources, that one can point to and make a case. Picture measurements is not one of them. Or rather, should not be.

You're talking about a 1 inch difference and comparing two players at opposite ends of the row. How accurate do you think that is?

Go to the records sting. It's the only way.
I think Quinn's hair is bigger...:laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I didn't accuse you of being biased/negative because of your projection (which you didn't mention once in your other posts so clearly that's not what I was referencing, don't circle jerk), I did so because you have a tendency to downplay anything this player does. For example, choosing to believe he's closer to 5'8" than 5'10" because he skipped the combine, which is pure conjecture. You don't like this player, he doesn't fit your mold of a top dman, this has been clear since the draft and you remind everyone about this reasonably frequently - and that's you're right to do so, but it's my right to call you out on it.

I like this player quite a bit. He’s an outstanding prospect. I’ve repeatedly compared him to Barrie and Krug who are excellent NHL players.

I just think the complete and total non-concern about his size is insanity, and there will be a much longer adjustment period than everyone here who is expecting another Pettersson/Boeser situation is prepared for.

And having questions about a player and staying consistent about those questions since before we drafted him is not ‘bias’. It’s an opinion.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Shame on you guys nitpicking his height after he had a fantastic game where he had a beauty goal where his shot looked improved and a beauty assist.

Don’t you realize most NHL players height stats are exaggerated? So if you want to spend thousands of words to nitpick Quinn’s height down an inch and a half maybe put it in the context of the rest of the leagues measurements being off by that same amount. It’s not a big deal at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad