Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Michigan's regular season ends on March 2nd; they're currently sitting at 7-7-6 with 14 games to go
Cant wait for him to join the team :)

I know theres been debate about it. Can we confirm once and for all: if he plays for the Canucks this year, we still dont need to protect him against Seattle, correct??

Nov 1, 2011
Saw Q. Hughes live twice this tournament.

Seemed in the semi, he though he could get away with things, like shielding the puck which he didn't have the strength to do at this level. The result were some really bad turnovers.

In the finals, Quinn really simplified his game and played mostly mistake free. This resulted in a less dynamic game but his passing was always tape to tape and he created chances with his passing and his vision.

I was surprised that Quinn didn't create more with his skating in the games I saw however, it seems clear, that he realized he couldn't get away with some of the moves he's used to making and as a result, he cut those moves out of his game which made him less dynamic.

I think he was great on breakouts, created a few chances, and played a pretty clean game in the finals which was an improvement from trying to do too much in the semis.

If the stakes were lower, he probably could figure out how to bring some of his dynamic elements back into his game without hurting his team but given the short time frame, he had to just play it safe which he did fairly well.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I posted this before, but was anyone else surprised at Hughes' gap control? I found that when he was covering any player that didn't have the puck on a rush that he backed way too far into his own zone. It was almost like he was cheating in the event the player with the puck dumped in the puck. If/when his man was passed the puck, he closed the gap quite quickly, but it led to him aggressively skating out to the player and usually trying a quick poke check of some sort. I don't think this strategy will translate well to the NHL. I think he needs to keep a much tighter gap control and learn to push players wide on the rush.

In the same vein, I also noticed that in the above situations he had a tendency to not be skating backwards, but to be skating forwards back into his zone, turning the upper half of his body to his defender. It really was an unorthodox way of defending players, since you are always taught to be facing your man.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Since it's common practice to burn a year on the contracts of elite college players anyway, I don't see the problem with the attempt to sign Hughes now. It wouldn't change anything, and he'd be more fun to watch the Pouillot.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I posted this before, but was anyone else surprised at Hughes' gap control? I found that when he was covering any player that didn't have the puck on a rush that he backed way too far into his own zone. It was almost like he was cheating in the event the player with the puck dumped in the puck. If/when his man was passed the puck, he closed the gap quite quickly, but it led to him aggressively skating out to the player and usually trying a quick poke check of some sort. I don't think this strategy will translate well to the NHL. I think he needs to keep a much tighter gap control and learn to push players wide on the rush.

In the same vein, I also noticed that in the above situations he had a tendency to not be skating backwards, but to be skating forwards back into his zone, turning the upper half of his body to his defender. It really was an unorthodox way of defending players, since you are always taught to be facing your man.

I think these kinds of questions and discussions (as with the the post from @604) are interesting, and I wish there was a bit more of this on the boards.

Agree or disagree, these kinds of hockey discussion, I find interesting.

In one post, I hear and agree that QH can adapt, but that by adapting, some of his strengths that make him special will not be a apparent. it will be fascinating to see how he can manage both, because being a 5'8-5'10 defender who doesn't fly forward away from and past oncoming pressure would make him very boring and not as useful or exceptional.

In the other post, these kinds of moments to observe are interesting to watch as he tries to transition. I do think that he turns, but he does it so impressively, and to me, it is almost like he is doing it to "absorb" the forward movement of the attacker because he can't traditionally hold up the attacker with strength. But he is so good at getting body position, and he has this spectacular balance on skates that allows him to take some contact and still control the space the attacker is trying to get to. He needs to deal with the gap control issue and still be able to confront players physically, but maybe he can use this non traditional way of defending players to his advantage- escaping the player in new dynamic ways. It will be fun and interesting too watch if he can continue to play the game differently and still succeed like we need him to.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

In his defence, he can turn himself around in a blink, not many can do that

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Since it's common practice to burn a year on the contracts of elite college players anyway, I don't see the problem with the attempt to sign Hughes now. It wouldn't change anything, and he'd be more fun to watch the Pouillot.

I don't understand the comment "It won't change anything."

It makes him an unrestricted free agent a year earlier.

It makes him a restricted free agent a year earlier.

It gives him arbitration rights a year earlier.

Despite your protestations to the contrary if he plays 10 NHL games this season then the Canucks would have to use up a protection slot in the expansion draft on him, thereby losing a presumably better player than they otherwise would. (That would not have been the case under the original plan to have Seattle enter for the 2020-21 season, but when it got pushed back to 2021, it changed the exempt players by a year as well.)

It is highly unlikely to be a consideration, but it makes him waiver-eligible sooner.

Ok, the waiver-eligible part isn't a consideration.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Despite your protestations to the contrary if he plays 10 NHL games this season then the Canucks would have to use up a protection slot in the expansion draft on him, thereby losing a presumably better player than they otherwise would. (That would not have been the case under the original plan to have Seattle enter for the 2020-21 season, but when it got pushed back to 2021, it changed the exempt players by a year as well.)

It is highly unlikely to be a consideration, but it makes him waiver-eligible sooner.

It burns off an ELC year. Players need to either play 7 seasons or turn 27 by July 1 with 4 years experience to be UFA.

Take Brock Boeser. Drafted in 2015 at 18. Burned ELC year 1 in 16-17, year 2 last season and year 3 of ELC this year. Leaves him with 2 NHL seasons completed, not 3, but he can sign a new contract which starts next season. He still has 5 yeas of RFA left before he becomes a UFA.

Quinn would still have 5 RFA years left even if he did burn an ELC year this season. That's by the current CBA. That could change with the next CBA.

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
I am really hoping he was severely under the weather as watching the shift by shift video on the Russia game was depressing.

Reactions: Ryp37

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I could be wrong but I don't think the 10 game rule necessarily applies to the expansion draft. He will lose his exemption even if he plays only for the comets as he will have three seasons as a professional. At least that is my understanding; I don't think nhl games played factors into it.

I have to agree that it makes sense to delay his signing for Seattle draft purposes.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Expansion draft eligibility follows the "professional experience" definition in the RFA section of the CBA. Hughes would have to play 10+ games with the Canucks this season to rack up a year of "professional experience" toward expansion draft eligibility. Next season, Comets' games would count.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Expansion draft eligibility follows the "professional experience" definition in the RFA section of the CBA. Hughes would have to play 10+ games with the Canucks this season to rack up a year of "professional experience" toward expansion draft eligibility. Next season, Comets' games would count.
So 9 games this year would be the BEST option unless we go to the playoffs then i guess hed get more. Probably dont need to worry about that tho

Reactions: Canadian Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad