Quinn Hughes First Career Goal

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Congrats, Quinn!

Absolute rocket

Zadina's not the first nor the last CHL player to be massively overrated at draft only to disappoint in pros. Yet teams fall for them every year.

I think Hughes's shown some nice flashes. Still remains to be seen how his overall game will develop.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hughes was talking a bit about Tanev's hidden offensive ability that he never shows, and praising how good he secretly is.

Tanev has shown flashed before, but because scoring is not his chief responsibility he doesn't focus on it. Broadcast was talking about the defense getting more engaged, so we mat see more vintage Chris Tanev offensive plays (35s):

"Vintage Chris Tanev offensive plays".. something I never thought I'd read anywhere.

You're mistaken... he was talking about his skating being a surprise for him.. he was unaware of how good of a skater Tanev was.

But Tanev has done an amazing job of keeping his offensive side hidden from everyone.

Reactions: I am toxic

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
"Vintage Chris Tanev offensive plays".. something I never thought I'd read anywhere.

You're mistaken... he was talking about his skating being a surprise for him.. he was unaware of how good of a skater Tanev was.

But Tanev has done an amazing job of keeping his offensive side hidden from everyone.
I guess there was some editorialism around the exact quote, but I was referring to this article specifically. I guess the writer may be inferring that skating = offense which I understand is not necessarily the case, but Hughes seems to agree that it could mean some more numbers on the board.

Quinn Hughes thinks Canucks fans have yet to see how good Chris Tanev can truly be

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hughes must have spent some serious time this summer working on his shot.

It looks much improved compared to years prior. Some of that is just getting older, but his shot definitely looks better this year.

Solid start to his NHL career. Having a defensively excellent veteran in Tanev to lean on as well will only help him.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's looking more confident every game. His skating is just so much fun to watch. The biggest surprise though has been his shot. It was a muffin last year but he's clearly put in a lot of work on it. He's had a few bullets from the point so far already.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Anybody know what had Doughty so bent out of shape on the play?

I've watched the play 13 times and I have no idea. He just came on the ice and nothing happened to him or unfairly toward his team. I assume he was complaining about the initial penalty call itself.

Think he wanted a hook on Gaudette here. On the retrieval, you'll see Gaudette's stick get in on the hands of Martinez and Doughty raises his arms at the no call and you hear him and/or Martinez screaming 'hey, hey!' at the no call.

Reactions: Nickmo82

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Draisaitl manhandled him numerous times in the first game this season. He's going to need to find an answer to defend power forwards to be considered an all-situation #1D.

That being said, he has the potential to be an electric top-pairing guy.

Yeah. Dr. Drai made Hughes his *****.

Drai does that to a lot of grown men. Let alone 5’9 165 pound Hughes.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
He's definitely still a complete rollercoaster of a player and I don't want to ever see him matched up with Draisaitl again.

He's really fun though so I forgive him.

I fully expect him to have a fair amount of ups and downs due to his size and style of play, but so far in his 8 games it has been far more ups than downs.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah. Dr. Drai made Hughes his *****.

Drai does that to a lot of grown men. Let alone 5’9 165 pound Hughes.

Think he wanted a hook on Gaudette here. On the retrieval, you'll see Gaudette's stick get in on the hands of Martinez and Doughty raises his arms at the no call and you hear him and/or Martinez screaming 'hey, hey!' at the no call.

Love how he drew 4 kings defenders to him before the no look behind the back pass. Gaudette had a quality chance, but if he has dished it Leivo, he had a wide open net. Hughes will get burned occasionally with those plays, but love to see that confidence in a 19 YO rookie D.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
This is truly a special player. He's so much fun to watch. I can't believe he fell to the Canucks.

We never had a defenseman, as dynamic as Hughes. Reinhart might be the next closest player.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
I rarely comment on Canucks players but Hughes has been nothing short of amazing in the few NHL games he has played. Even if he didn't score, he would have been one of the best players on the ice. His skating, puck handling and decision making is extremely good.

It's rare that Canucks have a defensemen that can play like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad