Quinn gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
A coach can only lead you so far.

Before Quinn, the Leafs had missed the playoffs for two seasons. Since Quinn, we've been to the playoffs 6 years in a row, twice to the ECF, thrice to the second round, and once a seven game loss in the first round.

Just because they haven't won the cup doesn't mean he shouldn't be retained. Many coaches don't win the cup with the teams they coach.

And he is not an "older asset". Ya he is old, but he is a great coach. Was Scotty Bowman an older asset? Maybe we should go for a younger coach like Granato or Olcyck, they both did well their first season.

Feb 24, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
And all those times the Leafs have beaten the Flyers in the past 2 years....

You mean like winning 5 playoff games?

5-8 isn't such a bad record. It's not like the Flyers swept them or anything.

SedinFan*

PepNCheese said:
The Flyer fans are totally justified in their smartass remarks, of course. All those Cups they've won lately puts them in a fine position to snipe.

All those Cups the leafs have won in the last 30+ years sure makes the fans cocky.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
WOW !!!

Quinn is great !!! Why only two years? He has built the best Leaf team in 4 decades. He should get a lifetime contract by that organization's standards.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Dr Love said:
That if you want to blast a fan base for boasting by making fun of "all the cups they've won recently" you shouldn't talk when it's been even longer since your team won it.

Interesting double standard you hold there.

As long as it isn't a leaf, it's funny/ok. There was no need for the initial post, and once it was made, a second of the same nature was responded.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
London Knights said:
Interesting double standard you hold there.
Interesting assumption you've got there.

As long as it isn't a leaf, it's funny/ok. There was no need for the initial post, and once it was made, a second of the same nature was responded.
If someone said "great news for the Senators" about Clarke getting a contract extension, I'd laugh.

I'm not sure what posts in particular you are refering to. The first one that set this all of was funny, only Leafs fans wouldn't find it so. The rest were assumption filled bickering, which is why I replied in the first place.

Roger's Pancreas*

shakes said:
Did you guys raise banners for that? Rings? Get a trophy? Glad you are satisfied with just beating the Leafs in the playoffs.

I sure am because we're losers since seventy-six while the leafs are losers since sixty-seven. As long as we continue to snuff out Torontos dreams the Flyers will never hold the record for longest streak without a Stanley Cup. Good enough for me.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Panasonic Youth said:
I sure am because we're losers since seventy-six while the leafs are losers since sixty-seven. As long as we continue to snuff out Torontos dreams the Flyers will never hold the record for longest streak without a Stanley Cup. Good enough for me.

that's pretty sad but I guess if you never set your sights very high you can never be disappointed.

btw the Leafs don't hold that record either but that's of little importance.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Dr Love said:
That if you want to blast a fan base for boasting by making fun of "all the cups they've won recently" you shouldn't talk when it's been even longer since your team won it.

That was my point. Teams with long droughts(Flyers) shouldn't be making smartass comments to other teams in droughts(Leafs).

Now you're just trying to deflect it back on Leaf fans again when the original comments, as I've said 3 times now, came from Flyerfans.

Understand now?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
PepNCheese said:
That was my point. Teams with long droughts(Flyers) shouldn't be making smartass comments to other teams in droughts(Leafs).

Now you're just trying to deflect it back on Leaf fans again when the original comments, as I've said 3 times now, came from Flyerfans.

Understand now?
You're missing my point. The first line was funny--you don't see it that way because you're a Leaf fan though. And before you go "because you're a Flyers fan" note that the only "that's funny" type responses to the comment were from non-Flyers fans.

As for being a smartass, well, you did say this:

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3010226&postcount=11

The Flyer fans are totally justified in their smartass remarks, of course. All those Cups they've won lately puts them in a fine position to snipe.
Nothing like attacking what you believe to be smartassness with some smartassness of your own.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Dr Love said:
Nothing like attacking what you believe to be smartassness with some smartassness of your own.

All you smartasses are starting to make me feel like a dumbass.

Seriously though, I never hated the Leafs fans until 94, when the fans were basically rooting for NYR instead of Canada's entry into the finals.

Meanwhile, when Calgary (for example) went to the finals, we in Vancouver were behind them all the way (as Canada's representative).

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Dr Love said:
You're missing my point. The first line was funny--you don't see it that way because you're a Leaf fan though. And before you go "because you're a Flyers fan" note that the only "that's funny" type responses to the comment were from non-Flyers fans.

I see.

As for being a smartass, well, you did say this:

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3010226&postcount=11

Nope, it was funny. It was a joke.

You just don't see it because you're a Flyer fan.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Timmy said:
Seriously though, I never hated the Leafs fans until 94, when the fans were basically rooting for NYR instead of Canada's entry into the finals.
no, no, youve got it all wrong, you hate them because of their unparralled success and youre just jealous. (well at least thats what they seem to think ;) )

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Timmy said:
All you smartasses are starting to make me feel like a dumbass.

Meanwhile, when Calgary (for example) went to the finals, we in Vancouver were behind them all the way (as Canada's representative).
toronto was behind the flames too

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Timmy said:

Speak for yourself, last year I was wishing failure upon the Flames in every single series they played in. :D

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Timmy said:
. . .

You can't seriously have any proof that "Leafs fans" rooted for New York while "We in Vancouver" voted for Calgary. In both series, any Leafs fan I know (who cared) cheered for the Canadian team, but neither of us has a handle on what the entire group was doing.

(Not that there is a moral imperative to cheer for Canadian teams anyway)

I think it would make more sense not to characterise a team's enitre fan base, as if they thought and acted as a single unit.

The Quinn extension, fwiw, was the obvious thing to do.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
timlap said:
You can't seriously have any proof that "Leafs fans" rooted for New York while "We in Vancouver" voted for Calgary. In both series, any Leafs fan I know (who cared) cheered for the Canadian team, but neither of us has a handle on what the entire group was doing.

(Not that there is a moral imperative to cheer for Canadian teams anyway)

I think it would make more sense not to characterise a team's enitre fan base, as if they thought and acted as a single unit.

The Quinn extension, fwiw, was the obvious thing to do.

Ah, I knew that statement would draw some reactions. In fairness, the Nucks had beaten T.O. to get there, and some vocal "we was robbed" fans, I suppose, purported to represent all Leaf fans.

btw CK,thanks for that cornuccopia of information.

Why do you hate Canada? :biglaugh:

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
PepNCheese said:

Understand now?
Haha. Relax, it's just razzing, jebus. Enjoy life for a while, it'll feel good. I'm a Flyers fan, and I usually chuckle at the no-Cup jokes, because it's true.

Feb 24, 2004
AH said:
WOW !!!

Quinn is great !!! Why only two years? He has built the best Leaf team in 4 decades. He should get a lifetime contract by that organization's standards.

In my opinion, posters like you should be banned from posting here at HF Boards. What is that comment for? Are you being serious or just trying to rile up Leafs fans.

Because a coach has gotten the Leafs to the playoffs for 6 straight years but hasn't won a cup, he should be fired?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Sotnos said:
:shakehead

I'm wondering what 90% of this childish crap has to do with Pat Quinn getting a contract extension. Get it back on topic, please.

Because it's a Leaf thread. You know this happens everytime someone posts about the Leafs.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
shakes said:
Because it's a Leaf thread. You know this happens everytime someone posts about the Leafs.
Spare me the martyr stuff, please. It's both camps participating in this crap in every Leafs and/or Philly thread lately.

That's 3 more OT posts since I posted, might as well give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->