Quickest Way To Build Up Endurance

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Sled dragging. It doesn't even have to be a 'sled' per se, just drag some heavy **** behind you. Attach a tire to a piece of plywood, put some rocks in said tire, and drag it behind you. It'll kick your ass, but it's good cardio.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
i hated this one in juniors , but it is still in my routine almost 20 years later.
i put a milk crate on the floor and do lateral jumps over it for a minute. (you know side to side with your feet together) ......in the old days it was the weight bench ...sigh....
for the second set i carry 15 lbs. in each hand and do another minute of jumps.
third and last ( unless i'm feeling saucy) i jump for two minutes with no weights.if i'm still in the mood, i grab the weights again and jump until i'm done. this excersise helps the lungs , the calves, and at the same time helps with footspeed.

(that after a real light strength workout, bench press light weights many reps,good mornings light weight many reps, and some light shoulder work again light weight many reps. should help. hell i'm still playing with the twenty somethings well into my thirtys and they dont laugh.)

sounds easy, but it will help with your stamina and leg strength.
remember, keep the feet together and try to bend the knees while youre in the air and keep your shoulders as still and level as possible. up the height of the obstacle and /or the amount of jumping for desired effect.

and remember ... always drink tons of water.

LosT_PropheT

Apr 21, 2006
Baltimore
+1

Obviously good for stop and go hockey but also a good way to train for "steady pace" sports.

+1? Do you play M.u.g.e.n.?

I heard those, "herbies" really help. Skate to blue line back, center back, far blue line back, end back. Do those for a certain block of time while gradually increasing the time every day.

dwkdnvr

Mar 10, 2004
High Intensity Interval Training....look it up, there is a ton of literature on it.

For hockey, if you only do one thing then KT84 got it right with intervals. You can mix up the on/off times to vary the workout somewhat. Assuming this is for rec rather than high-level competitive I'd personally start with something like 30 on/60 off, but there are lots of options

Depending on your goals/specifics though, some steady-state training can help with recovery as well. The idea is to raise your lactate threshold (LT), to provide more time in aerobic zones and less in anaerobic. For running, LT pace is roughly your 10k pace; the classic LT run workout would be 40 minutes, with the middle 20 being at LT pace. (the 40/20 workout works for cycling as well, but determining your LT is trickier).

NYRChazzer said:
Anyone know how to increase leg speed? I know how to increase my leg power, but not the speed.

Basically, practice. Once again referencing running the typical drill for this is 'pick ups' - run steady state at 'tempo' (ie moderately hard), and then do 10 second intervals where you simply 'sprint', focusing on foot turnover. The on-ice hockey equivalent is probably 'hard between the blue lines' with the adjustment that you focus on foot speed/number of strides rather than exertion level as such.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I agree with intervals. Can be grueling but great for oxygen training and power. I used to alternate with my regular 30 minute run/60 minute weight training. Cross training is very effective as different muscles are used and bike riding also. Boxers do a lot of diaphragm (breathing excercises) training to increase the ability to suck in air. After all that you just gotta skate.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
BTW,NHL players reportedly training with Mike Boyle will do power squat thrusts with 135 lbs for fast twitch muscle training of the legs.Squat slowly and explode through the thrust (lift). 3 sets of 8-12 with a max of 60 secs between sets. Remember,these are pros,start light,any weight resting on the back of the neck (C8/T1 joint) can be bad. I prefer squats using dumbells in each hand.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hey,

I just recentley have started to play hockey again and my legs have left me. What is the quickest way to rebuld my endurance. Any hel would be great.

Paul

Don't be in a hurry! ;)

But seriously, it takes time, and rest is just as important as dooing the work.

Sled dragging. It doesn't even have to be a 'sled' per se, just drag some heavy **** behind you. Attach a tire to a piece of plywood, put some rocks in said tire, and drag it behind you. It'll kick your ass, but it's good cardio.

Dragging stuff is seriously underrated.

mooseOAK*

The title of the thread is a bit of an oxymoron.

Play a lot of hockey, that's really the best way.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Anyone know how to increase leg speed? I know how to increase my leg power, but not the speed.

I am not sure what exactly you mean by "leg speed"?

The frequency with which you move your legs is genetic and you can't do much to improve it. What you CAN do is increase the length of your stride that will decrease the time it takes to get from point A to point B.

The length of the stride can be improved by working on your leg strength--lounges with dumbbells or weights, squats.

A very effective exercise is the following.
Hold 2 dumbbells in your hands 40-85 lbs each (whatever you can do), squat, then jump as high into the air as you can. Repeat 8-12 times. Rest for a minute. Do 3-4 sets.

To improve quickness (foot speed), the best exercise is skipping rope 15-30 minutes a day.

Complement your work-outs by running. Sprints are particularly good to improve leg strength and speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->